myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Main hatch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Main hatch
    Posted: 16 April 2018 at 10:57

We have a problem with the retaining stop
We have stored the vertical panels on top of the sliding panel and located them with wooden beading not sur if this is the normal method
It would appear that the end portion of the pane has sheared along the line of fixing screws and dropped off
Any suggestions how to access the end section
I have not looked at it since the problem occurred so it might be self evident so will check today

Has anyone else had similar problems?
Thank you

370E
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 11:56
Hi Scottie

You need to unscrew the hatch garage. When you do, you'll probably find that there were 2 hardwood battens screwed together through the perspex hatch (one below and 1 above). The screws have probably bent and possible damaged the perspex. Suggest replacing one of the battens (cant remember which), with aluminium angle section. Drill new oversize bolt holes in the hatch cover. Use rubber grommets as spacers in the perspex cover (they absorb the impact of the slamming against the stop), and bolt back together (don't use screws because the same problem will recur).   
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 18:03
An alternative method is to add stops in the teak side rails so the hatch can't slide right out. I initially used 2 screws (one each side) and later changed it to an inserted steel rod with a rubber bushing on the outside.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Scottie View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2018 at 23:20
Thank you both
The garage is under both the spray hood and main sheet track so Will be an awkward job so stops will be going on for the time being
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2018 at 21:21
I also had the problem, and like Rubato I put 2 screws with wide rubber bushings as stops. It has worked for several years now. I used a drill to remove the "star" in the screws, for burglary protection. If I want to change or remove the stops, I will have to cut the rubber and remove the screws the hard way.
My plan is to mount three small L-shaped aluminium profiles on top of the sliding hatch, so I have better control of  the perspex board, which is normally placed there when cruising. Once in a while after heavy weather, the board seems to try to hide from me deep in the hatch-garage.
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 17:53
Originally posted by Captain Cook Captain Cook wrote:

My plan is to mount three small L-shaped aluminium profiles on top of the sliding hatch, so I have better control of  the perspex board, which is normally placed there when cruising. Once in a while after heavy weather, the board seems to try to hide from me deep in the hatch-garage.

I recall somewhere on this forum a number of years ago owner's showing a solution for this. They glued (epoxy?) some pieces of plexiglass (or acrylic) to the top of the hatch to hold the boards in place while sailing.
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 April 2018 at 20:37
Mine is permanently attached by a cord so that if the boat was to be rolled in heavy weather or an inexperienced crew laid it incorrectly on the deck it would not get lost over the side. I can also pull it back with the cord when it goes under the hatch
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Richard M View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2018 at 18:07
I had a low tech solution on my 400e. I simply placed a strip of non-slip matting on the sliding hatch. This worked well.
Richard M

(S/Y BrightStar - H 455 #90; ex S/Y Providence - H 400e #290)
MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 14:50
Originally posted by Rubato Rubato wrote:

Originally posted by Captain Cook Captain Cook wrote:

I recall somewhere on this forum a number of years ago owner's showing a solution for this. They glued (epoxy?) some pieces of plexiglass (or acrylic) to the top of the hatch to hold the boards in place while sailing.

I think it was Johan Hackamn who did it if my memory serves me well.
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 23:38
The search function in myhanse is a goldmine of information. I searched "glue hatch" (All forums/any date), and the subject "Seized hatch" from Sep 28 2010 by "Hansebonbon" appeared. The solution with a couple of small handles seems okay.

Edited by Captain Cook - 13 June 2018 at 23:50
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>