myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast vibrating when berthing in marina

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast vibrating when berthing in marina
    Posted: 22 April 2018 at 19:20
Hi all, I am not the first but when we are in the marina we feel some vibration. Not when the wind is blowing 30 knts but when it is blowing only 8 or 10 knts we sometime feel a vibration. It feels if someone is pulling the furler. Or Shakes the mast....?

Is it due to the selftaking system? Never had it when we owned boats with a genoa or high aspect...

Feel free to give us some hints and if you feel this vibration also?

Frank
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 09:37
Hi, on my 385 I have a Zspar and the mast is also under the same conditions as you explain creation a vibration. I looked very carefully this weekend and is saw the mast shaking on top, the same direction as you tension the mast with the backstay. ( back to forward )
This is annoying me, it goes that bad that the owners bed during the night shakes. I will have to find a solution, this is not fun and at some moments the shaking goes that hard you hear the lines in the mast ticking and making noise. 
Any proposal is welcome, and of course dismasting is not an option Smile.
Best regards
/C
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 11:01
On my boat, I have some vibrations from the boom lift. Have thought of removing it as I hardly need it.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2018 at 18:06
Mast shaking can usually be stopped by applying some backstay tension. A mast with prebend shouldn't shake. Mine does not. However I get a "motorboat" sound from the topping lift in a crosswind. You can't hear it on deck, but it seems load down below. The cure for me was to attach a weight about 30 cm above the boom. I used one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Ferrite-Core-Cord-Noise-Suppressor/dp/B0002MQGEK

It is made to suppress electrical noise, but works for this too!Smile

Edited by gshannon - 23 April 2018 at 18:07
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 06:51
Hello Grahame,

thanks for the answer, i tried already what you proposed, some and even more tension on the backstay. There was only a small reduction of the shaking but far from  a real solution. I think i need to check everything, tension and more of all gigging and then evaluate.

thx !

Best regards
/C
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 06:51
Thanks Grahame, will try it with some weight before buying ferrite.

On Google you can find a lot of boat owners from different brands like Bene, Jeanneau, Dehler and so on with the same question. So it is not a typical Hanse item.
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 07:00
Hello,
if can't bring enough tension on the Mast via the Backstay, check the Tension of the shrouds! If their is less tension, you can't achieve it alone over the backstay...
best regards

Bjoern

Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 10:04
Somehow a part of your rig is getting into its natural frequency or resonanz frequenz.....
This happens only in a special windrange. It is a common problem for any Mast or long round profile...
Prebend of the mast is in my opinion not the solution, maybe only if you prebend it extreme....

The best way to stop the vibrating Mast or another part, is to hoist a fender close to the mast or the vibrating part. This will break the reason for the vibration. Looks weird but it works!
Blake 370
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 14:24
Our rigger told us to test the next: when the mast vibrates hoist a fender (like Peter-Blake wrote) and pull the lines hard. When the vibrating stops then you know is an idea to mount a radarlens like a trilens on the mast. This will have the same effect as the fender (and you have a good radarreflector mounted as an extra). After this the vibrating will never occur again.

Well it is worth trying. I will let you know if this is a sollution.
 Post Reply Post Reply