myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Sails

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Sails
    Posted: 24 April 2018 at 00:58
Ordered a new main and self-tacking jib from Leitch & McBride. The old main was the original East Sail supplied by Hanse. It still looked OK but showing signs of wear. The boat is a 2001 model and the log shows about 12,000 miles.

They are both Crosscut Dacron sails made from Marblehead cloth. The original main had 5 full battens but the new one has 4 full battens. The old one had Rutgerson cars, and the slides needed to be lubricated frequently with McLube to run up and down smoothly. The new sail has Bainbridge Allslip Low Friction Slides. They are amazingly slippery. The sail goes up easily and drops fast without hanging up.

Two reefs were installed, but higher than the originals so the second reef is equivalent to the third reef on some boats. I put in new reef lines, 9 mm instead of the original 12 mm. Much less friction. Similarly the main halyard has been replaced with 9 mm Dyneema. Again much less friction.

The previous jib was an Elvstrom Genesis hi-tech mylar string sail. A beautiful shape when new but it was starting to delaminate and showing mildew between layers. The new jib has a similar shape (battened with roach) and looks very good.

These sails, like those from many sailmakers these days, were made overseas to design and measurements from the local loft They seem well made and reinforced. I first thought they were made by China Sail Factory but it turns out they were made in Sri Lanka.

The new main was very tight in the lazy bag, and the zipper failed.  Ordered a new lazy bag, also being made at CSF. Will report when it arrives.

Edited by gshannon - 15 July 2018 at 01:14
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 01:08
Grahame, I would be very interested in the new lazy bag made by the CSF.  Let me know how long it took to make, how well it fits and your impression of its quality. Perhaps you would be willing to share the cost as well.
Many thanks,
Alan
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2018 at 01:56
Hi Alan,

They say five weeks delivery, just ordered it. The design is a bit different from Hanse's original. It is all one piece and the front cover tucks in one side when you are sailing. I haven't got the invoice yet. There was an option, $100 I believe for UV resistant PTFE thread which I went for as the stitching always goes before the Sunbrella cloth. 

I'll post the approximate cost when I get the invoice.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 01:11
The lazybag from China Sail Factory never arrived. After it was ordered (and paid for by the local sailmaker I ordered through) they stopped answering emails and inquiries. He paid with Visa and is trying to get the charge reversed. 

So a second attempt is being made, Leitch & McBride in Victoria BC is building me one locally. More expensive, but perhaps it will actually get done! Supposed to be delivered this coming week.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 21:47
I had a Lazy Bag made by China Sail Factory about a yr ago.  Configured all wrong.  Fortunately I was able to return it to the retailer.  Having a new one made now by Elvstom's sole US dealer, Harding Sails.  Should arrive this week.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 07:11
You do notsay why your zip failed in the first place but if it was because the sail was tight inside the cover my solution may help.
I sail single handed most of the time & do not always have time to pack the sail into the cover, particularly if it is rough. To keep the sail tidy until I am in port I had 4 loops of line fitted inside the cover on one side & some lengths of line one the other side with plastic balls fitted. These were near the mast I adjusted the balls such that when fitted through the loops it was a little tighter than the closed zip. I now can lean over the boom pull the loop  & hook the ball through the loop to retain the sail. I have learned to do this almost one handed.
This means that when i want to zip up there is no load on the zip. That may help you with your zip pulling apart- if that was the issue
When leaving port I unzip then when I want hoist the sail I just have to release the 4 balls& the sail is released
In this picture the sail maker got it slightly wrong so i had it re done with a loop one side rather than a long loop that is shown in the picture that has to be threaded through the eye on the opposite side first.
But I think you can get the idea

Edited by samuel - 16 July 2018 at 07:14
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2018 at 15:26
The zipper did break because of too tight fit. The original mainsail seemed to pack tighter. The new one is stiffer and that seemed to cause the problem. It is so tight that just putting in a new zipper is not a good solution, and the cover is more than 10 years old anyway.

Your idea is a good one,  but it partly defeats the purpose of the "lazybag".  When out cruising we just let the sail drop in the bag and don't zip it.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2018 at 22:05
The new lazy bag arrived this morning and with the help of Brett Willets from Leitch & McBride we installed it. To save money we ordered it without battens and lazy jacks, and re-used the old ones for now.

It fits beautifully, as it should since Brett took the measurements after the new main was bent on. The zipper is a massive #12 size which should be more durable than the #10 that most covers use. The lazy jacks attach directly to the battens through a stainless grommet. I have not see it done this way but it makes sense. The front cover zips on. I found the black zippers a bit hard to see. The main part does a good job covering the sail without the front bit so I will probably only use it when leaving the boat for some time.

Edited by gshannon - 14 June 2019 at 17:57
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
merlin View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 02:29
Hi Grahame,

Just got our new 2000 371.  The main is original and needs to be replaced.  I noticed you replaced yours a few years back.  Are you happy with it?  Would you recommend the same supplier?  

If anyone else has suggestions or thoughts on a new main sail for a 371, feel free to join in the conversation.  

Regards,

Michael

gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 18:08
Hi Michael,

I am 100% satisfied with the new main. I bought it when planning to sail offshore. Some people have added a third reef. I instead asked for the second reef to be where the 3rd reef would normally be. The first reef splits the difference. I had to replace the reefing lines with longer ones, but they were old anyway. I have so far only used the first reef. That was in a race, and I won my division, beating much faster rated boats boat-for-boat including a brand new XC42.

The original sail had four battens, the new one has three. I had the sailmaker use as much roach as possible, it just brushes the backstay when tacking.

I am not as happy with the new cross-cut dacron self-tacking jib. It seems to have less power than the hi-tech "string" sail it replaced.  That one was an Elvstrom Endurance. A great sail, but UV finally did it in. I may buy another hi-tech sail to replace the dacron when bitcoin hits 100K Wink
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply