myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 311 / 312 / 315
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rope clutch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rope clutch
    Posted: 30 April 2018 at 16:48
Hello, I have a 2006 315 and would like to fit an extra rope clutch on the Port side. Has anyone done this and before I start cutting a hole in the moulded headliner in the heads could you advise on whether there is a backing plate under the existing clutch pad?

Many thanks 
Colin 
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 07:31
 Hi Colin
The 2 cleats that i fitted where I assume you want to fit the extra clutches have had the holes drilled & tapped into the aluminium plates. That means that you do not have to touch the head lining
I have a 2003-31 & because I have more than 2 extra control lines I used different cleats so I could swop the lines about. I also added an aluminium plate complete with a cam cleat for the topping lift so if you only wanted to fit a small cleat you could avoid drilling anything

Edited by samuel - 01 May 2018 at 07:40
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 12:20
I, like Samuel have added clutches to both sides now. The only advise I would add to Samuel's advise is the have a #1, #2 and #3 taps. The plate is a fair way down and you need the #3- sometimes called a hole tap to save you piecing the headliner

samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 19:39
This afternoon I removed 2 of the clutches to change the size of the plate in the bottom to accommodate the thinner dynema halyards which are starting to slip. This is the first time I have done this.
The countersunk machine screws are 35mm * 6mm. I was somewhat concerned that one did not seem to have any " bite" whatsoever & the others only just engaged into the aluminium plate on the last 2-3 turns. I got the impression that most of the gripping power was from the mastic around them.
Tomorrow I will take a 6mm tap to the boat, clean the threads & try some new bolts in the holes to see exactly how much they engage into the aluminium plates- If at all.
I had a similar problem with the pulpit when I found 8mm nuts fitted to 6mm studs with copious amounts of mastic because some operative has been too lazy to tighten the correct nut up in a difficult position. Preferring instead just to push an oversized nut on to the stud.

grumpydatagit View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpydatagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 12:33

I had the same problem! In the end I took a piece of thin mousing wire and put a right angle bent in it. By pushing it down the tapped hole you can find the bottom of the metal plate - that will give you the screw length you require!
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2018 at 19:14
Finally re fitted the clutches & the bolts i used are 39mm ( i cut them down from 50mm)* 6mm & did not touch the inner lining & they all engaged fully with the metal plate

Edited by samuel - 03 May 2018 at 19:14
colin1 View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colin1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 12:24
So sorry I didn't reply to this sooner I've been offline for a few months. Anyway thanks samuel and grumpydatagit for all you helpful advice. Another job for the winter!

Colin
 Post Reply Post Reply