myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 400
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Move thermostat inside fridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Move thermostat inside fridge
    Posted: 01 May 2018 at 19:14

I have read several posts on fridge improvement by improving ventilation, adding insulation i.e.

I note that my compressor does not run that much even with close to the coldest setting on the thermostat. I see the sensor of the thermostat (the end of the white steel cable/pipe) is somewhere behind the evaporator, meaning it is in one of the coldest places in the fridge. Has anyone moved the sensor further down in the fridge (out of the freezer)? Mine seems to be secured in some way. How to loosen? Do I need to dismount the evaporator?

Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2018 at 22:36
The copper-tubes to the evaporator is molded inside the foam insulation, so dismounting the evaporator is not an option. As shown in the topics"Isotherm fridge failure" and "Fridge efficiency", you will ned a bit of carpentry to get access to the bottom of the fridge. If your compressor can keep the fridge about 5 deg. celsius, without running much, you are lucky.
My problem, as most of the Isotherm owners, is that the compressor is working overtime and still not is able to maintain a decent low temperature in the fridge.
If the temperature in your fridge is OK, and you can make decent ice-cubes for your drinks, I see no reason to worry about the position of the sensor.

Edited by Captain Cook - 02 May 2018 at 09:26
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2018 at 14:16
The design of the Isotherm unit in the hanse is based on meassuring and controlling the temperature in the ice box. Depending on the sorrounding temperature you will get warmer or colder then expected in the rest of the fridge. I installed the Isotherm Smart Energy Control to my 400 last year. It helped me in reducing the power consumption as well as getting a more stabile temperature in the fridge. However, the temperature in the ice box is not controlled any more and it happends that things that should be freezed (like icecream, ice cubes ...) are not. Best would be to have dual sensors but I have not find any such products.
Jesper
Hanse 400e
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2020 at 22:37
I am planning to disconnect the original thermostat in the fridge. Does anyone know if it does anything more sophisticated than flipping a relay based on temp?
What I want to do is to connect two thermostats in parallel. I bought two from eBay.  One will sense temp inside freezer and one inside fridge. If either temperature is above my setting it will connect the circuit. My intention is to adjust the fridge thermostat to 4 deg and freezer to -5 deg. This way I will always keep freezing temp inside freezer and keep fridge cold. 

Will this work?

Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 09:23
I don’t see one reason  why to place 2 controllers.
The fridge and freezer are in the same compartment so the both temp are always in relationship with each other.
If temp raise in the fridge than also (after a short period of time)in the freezer and visa-verso

Edited by Wild - 24 September 2020 at 19:43
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 12:16
What i have noticed is than when humidity freezes on the condenser it becomes more and more insulated with ice. After a week or so i need to open the door to let the cold air out to keep fridge part cold. With two thermostats the freezer will just be colder while the fridge will be constant.
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 18:59
so anyone have an idea if it is ok to use a relay thermostat sensing inside fridge, not in freezer?
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2020 at 19:42
At the start of this year I have removed the orig thermostat from the freezer in to the fridge to get  more space in the fridge and a more easy acces  and it is a better solution IMO

Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
astarte View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote astarte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 12:41
Hi Jesper. 
I suppose the Isoterm installation is the some in your 400 as in mine 370. Can you explain how you were able to reach the compressor when you installed the SEC. 
Kristoffer
Hanse 370e #412
Wild View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wild Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 16:08
in the small locker under the cooker there is on the left side a cut out where you can reach the compressor.
Just one screw on the front to loose and you can pull the whole compressor out.(See manual fridge)
The tubes are long and flex enough.
I have to make the cut out bigger to reach te screw.
Wild and Wet
Belgium
545e#268
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>