myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast shaking/shuddering?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginabythebay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast shaking/shuddering?
    Posted: 03 June 2018 at 02:55
I am still learning the ins and outs of my 2003 341.  I wonder if anyone has run into this or has any information about it?  Today we were out in 20 knots of wind and had put in a second reef and there was a noticeable rhythmic shake to the mast, particularly when we were on a starboard tack.  It definitely did not seem like a good thing to me.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any idea what it indicates?

Thanks
- Gina
Hanse 341
Morning Glory
San Francisco California
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 09:11
The first thing that springs to mind is bad rig tuning. The rig should be tuned very hard and not all Hanse sailors I have met have understood this.

The cap shrouds should be tensioned so hard they are like violin strings on the leeward side when sailing. Is this the case on your boat?

Johan
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 11:02
I would agree with your comments on tension Johan . Most think they will break the rig if they tighten things too much but as the rigger who replaced my standing rigging last year said there is very little chance that you could break the rig by tighten the screws too much. However if you can get hold of a Loos gauge and refer to a rigging guide, Seldon have one on their website that you can download, you will find it has to be a lot tighter than you think.
Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 14:56
25% upper---20%mids---15%lowers and work on 70 mm pre bend then alter the backstay rig to give something like 32 :1 an up wind you should be able to get 150 bend or a little more in higher winds to flatten the main. Depends on cut of main though. Whatever you do you never want the mast ti invert when the main is right out and flogging ( actually you should not let the main flog but you get the idea)
On my boat the lowers are a thicker wire hence the low percentage so it is a bit deceiving. If you find that you can get the prebend with higher tension on the mid and lowers then put in higher tension than i have stated.
This means you can wind the backstay up a bit and this helps tension on the forestay.
It is just that my sails are cut to suit those tensions

Edited by samuel - 03 June 2018 at 15:00
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
ginabythebay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginabythebay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 14:36
thanks!  It looks like tensioning is something I could diy but it will benefit me to have a smart pro look things over and teach me a few things.  I’ll schedule a rigger to come out!
Hanse 341
Morning Glory
San Francisco California
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 14:39
That's a great idea. It took me over a decade before I dared to tune my rig myself. Before that I relied on competent riggers.

Johan
robh View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2018 at 10:24
It is surprising how many people are worried about tensioning the rig yet it is more likely to display problems if not tight enough and I have always tensioned my own rig since dingy sailing days. I do have a sailing friend who was a professional rigging manager who worked on the big radio and TV masts as support which helped when I got into larger boats. This has probably also raised the confidence level but as I said earlier in this post it is virtually impossible for you to over tighten by hand.
Cheers,

Rob
"Blue Horizon" Hanse 341#113 Portsmouth Harbour UK
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2018 at 20:53
I re-enforce everything already said. The rig needs to be very tight. The average person with normal tools is not strong enough to over tighten the rig, so don't worry about having it too tight.
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
ginabythebay View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ginabythebay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2018 at 13:50
The local rigger recommended by Selden said he was booked until September so I bought a gauge and tightened up the cap shrouds and things seem better. I still want to have a professional take a look at things but at least I am still sailing in the meantime.
Hanse 341
Morning Glory
San Francisco California
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 19:35
Johan has some photos of a shaking mast.....
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>