myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Epoxy vs non-epoxy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip.bodhilife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Epoxy vs non-epoxy
    Posted: 16 June 2018 at 16:35
Hello, I’m shopping for a used Hanse 461or 470. The Hanse brochures make it sound like all Hanse are built with epoxy hulls, but I have found some that are not. From experience, does anyone see a difference in older epoxy and non-epoxy Hanse boats after time? I am looking at 2005 to 2010 models.

Also, I have heard that the older boats (2006 and older) where built better, before the company changed hands. Does anyone have any experience with this, and if so, what differences do you see.

I don’t get responses from Hanse factory, so thanks for any information you can provide.
MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 14:42
Hi!
All Hanse epoxy boats are, usually marekd with an e after the modell number. E.g 370 or 370e. My boat is from 2009 and I think its the last year they built at least smaller modells in epoxy, not 100% sure about it. Epoxy is lighter and more durabel but also more sensitve to "small area" pressure like a"finger" sized item. When I have looked at non epoxy boats and comapred to mine I cant see any difference in material. And yes, I agree that the boats were built much better IMHO in the beginning.
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
philip.bodhilife View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philip.bodhilife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2018 at 20:15
Thanks for the response. What types of issues do you see on the newer boats compared to the older versions?
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 13:15
The best  feature of Epoxy hulls is that they are 100% osmosis free. Apparently Epoxy Hanses are also quite a few kilo's lighter.
Frank
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2018 at 20:05
On a 40 foot boat, the epoxy version was about 1000lb lighter (17K vs 18K), they are are also stiffer. In either case, gel coat is the same on each model so an epoxy barrier is still recommended below the water line on epoxy boats.

As for issues, these are totally dependent on the model and the year. In general, issues are not structural - Hanse seems to have consistently built quality hulls and rigging. It's more the build out that have had challenges - blocks breaking, swim grids cracking, ... The most serious issues I can think of from the past 12 years are  a) on larger models some booms bent that had mid boom sheeting (during gybes?). These were undersized for the loads. b) hull windows coming loose.   Searching the forums here will reveal which models and years that happened on. 

Edited by Rubato - 19 June 2018 at 20:06
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 11:10
Copied the link from Richard M in 461/470 thread

https://www.compresdev.co.uk/CRD%20The%20Use%20and%20Application%20of%20Epoxy%20Resin%20vs%20Vinylester%20vs%20Polyester.pdf

I will keep a copy of this in my boat. 

Edited by Sea-U - 21 June 2018 at 11:11
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 13:24
Is osmosis any real problem for newer (from 2006) Hanses without epoxy hull? I can not find many threads on this forum regarding Osmosis. Reason for asking is that I leave my boat (Hanse 400 - 2007 mod) in the water during winter. Wonder if I shall have it on shore next winter for drying out. My only fear is osmosis, but as I cannot see any Hanse 400 (non-epoxy) with osmosis so far, this is maybe not an issue?
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2018 at 13:59
The vinylester is supposed to be much better but only time will tell, I think.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Ratbasher View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ratbasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 17:59
Interesting question as my 2008 non-epoxy H400 is berthed right next to an epoxied 400 from 2006.  

I'm not sure that the weight saving on the 400e is much of an issue unless racing as cruising boats get stuffed full of various items depending on their Skipper's foibles and cruising intentions.   Far more important is the condition of the sails, rigging, hull and standard of upkeep.  Mine is burdened with a great deal of kit yet she goes like the proverbial off a shovel. 

I've never heard of any osmosis issues in non-epoxied Hanses and the moisture readings in mine, ashore generally for 8 weeks a year, are negligible.  I understand that use of isophthalic resins and new procedures since the 90's has largely eradicated the issue but others may have a view on this. I'd certainly have no qualms about keeping her in the water all year if it suited me.

There seems to be little of substance between the two model years.  I prefer some of the cosmetic finishes to the older version but they're minor.  The single biggest difference to appearance is maintenance of the topsides; one that has been regularly polished literally shines alongside one that hasn't.  Leave it a few seasons and I'm told its almost impossible to resurrect to its former glory. 

H400 (2008) 'Wight Leopard', Gosport UK
Mark_J1 View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark_J1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2019 at 22:44
One point to note. The ‘e’ hulls are epoxy however the wrap of fibreglass around the keel is not. At least on our 400e from 2005 Hull #31. So worth keeping an eye on.

Mark
Hanse 400e "Grey Goose" Hull #31
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>