myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this fuse for?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this fuse for?
    Posted: 25 June 2018 at 21:36
I found this fuse disconnected in the engine room. What is it for? Could it be the engine room blower as that one is not working? Not same color on the cable, but maybe it changes on the way?

Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 06:47
I would take it out and look what is not functioning anymore Wink, problem solved.
Best regards
/C
toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 08:59
It is already taken out/disconnected. That is why I ask.
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2018 at 21:19

Our yacht is a 320 from 2008, and this season we have similar problem, first time. I don’t know yet how to solve it, but I try to describe what I have found out. I hope someone could give us useful hints.

First of all, this is not a too simple case to solve. After changing the fuse the first time, everything worked perfectly, one day: Motoring from a harbour, sailing, and motoring to another harbour. Before turning the engine off that evening, the engine room blower was working. (I didn’t control the fuse at that moment). Next day, after starting the engine, the blower didn’t work and the fuse was gone again. After that, my third fuse has survived several test procedures in harbour (without turning the engine on), and is still alive.

The fuse is quite essential one, because it is not just the engine room blower that doesn’t work without it. Batteries will not get loaded by the alternator, for instance.

In our boat the 12 V is taken from a tiny red wire by a blue connector, which is connected to the fuse holder with a green/blue wire.  After the fuse, there are two green/blue wires. One of them ends to Philippi Battery isolator. (I tested this by connecting multimeter between the fuse holder connector and the wire I removed from the battery isolator.) The other wire may be connected to the engine room blower, although 2A should not be enough for that purpose.

When turning the engine key on (without starting the engine), the engine room blower turns on. Also, the battery isolator makes a click. That connects also the lights for two 5A circuit breakers which are activated only when the engine is running: the bow thruster, and anchor winch (we don’t have any of them). When the green/blue wire is removed from the battery isolator (before turning the engine key), only the engine room blower is running.

Our engine room blower is a Plastimo, probably model 16274 with 4 Amp consumption. It is hard to believe it is connected directly to the 2A fuse. This is the next theme I will investigate.

Here are some pictures that may help to understand what I tried to describe:

Edited by Merinalle - 28 June 2018 at 20:26
320#166
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2018 at 18:17
The problem is still unsolved for us. The fuse has not blown again, although we have turned the engine on and off a couple of times.

As mentioned before, removing the 2A fuse disconnects the battery isolator and the engine room blower, at least. When the fuse is on and the green/blue wire is disconnected from the battery isolator, the blower still works. Obviously one of the two green/blue wires after the fuse holder ends in the battery isolator. I can’t see where the other wire ends in the engine room.

I installed connectors to the + wire of the blower so it was easy to disconnect it, and make measurements. First, I connected a multimeter between the blower wire and the fuse holder.  It didn’t beep, so there is no direct connection.

Then I made some measurements with a clamp meter. The blower takes some 2.5 amperes. The current in the green/blue wire between the blue “Snap Lock Splice Connector” and the fuse is about 0.5 amperes. This number doesn’t change significantly if the + wire of the blower is disconnected.

It seems to me that somewhere there is a relay for the engine room blower. Maybe it is tired? Theoretically the relay should be easy to find by following the wire either from the fuse holder, or the blower. In practise, it is not that easy. It is so silent that I can’t locate it by turning the engine key. So, if anyone there can give a hint of this theme, it would be much appreciated.

If the relay is not the source of problem, maybe the battery isolator is guilty? Again, how to find out if it is time to do something with it?

Finally, is there anything else to investigate?

320#166
 Post Reply Post Reply