myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Folding prop on 320?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 07:27
Today I dismountend the old prop to change it with the new one. What I didn't expected; the old prop is a 16x13 prop! Were you guys aware of that? So, now I am replacing the 16x13 fixed with a 16x12 folded. Hm, didn't see that one coming. Maybe I should change the blades for 16x13, because I do like the performance of the fixed prop. 

Was the 16x13 prop standard on the 320? 

#004|Jefa DD1|ACU200|EV1|P70|Raymarine E7|Axiom Pro9s|B&G displays|Emtrak transponder|Lewmar traveller|Dyneema|Flexofold|Carbon pole|ball bearing genoacars|Membrame sails|Spi and asym spi|N2K->Wifi
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 09:08
I asked Flexofold factory directly and they confirmed the fact that you can not compare it 1 to 1.
so if you have doubts, ask them. I had the same issue :)

Best regards
/C
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 09:13
Small update

Nina Tonnesen Von Bergen <nvb@flexofold.com
Best regards
/C
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 09:44
Nobody has mentioned performance in heavy chop. Perhaps the 3 blade would have better drive then. With a 2 blade the prop may have a tendency to cavitate or "pulse " as it goes over the waves.  With my prop i know that if  I look over the stern I can sometimes see the water eject in pulsing motions rather than continuous streams as the boat stops as it hits a wave. I have an Autoprop so that may explain it but a friend with a folding prop gets the same thing.
It may be that a 3 blade would help in these situations giving better drive through the waves rather than a stop go motion
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Andre View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 19:01
I keep the old fixed blade prop onboard as emergency spare, don't know what size it actually is but could be indeed bigger than the folding one I have today. I can only check later. I Always found it quite big anyway and wouldn't be surprised it was also installed/delivered on the Hanse 350 at that time. At full throttle the engine tended to slighty smoke so prop simply could be a bit too big for a Hanse 320 purpose.
I don't experience issues when motoring in a chop with the 2-blade and if one experiences pulsating prop wash it can be explained by the difference in resistance the hull and prop are experiencing  in such conditions by which also the thrusting force will pulsate. The prop thrust will variate with the resistance the boat experiences in a chop, it is not constant then.
Still am quite impressed and pleased about the performance, also in reverse. 
And also when sailing!
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 19:44
Hi Guys,

Do you also have experience with the Gori 2 Propeller? 
My setup is the same as Mystudio has, 3ym20 engine with the SD20 Saildrive.
Gori's recommendation is the 16.5 * 11

THX
320 #145
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 19:50
I havn't. But, I can confirm, like the others do, that the Flexofold mentioned works like a charm. No difference in speeds under motor. So, why not go with a prooved solution for this boat? 
#004|Jefa DD1|ACU200|EV1|P70|Raymarine E7|Axiom Pro9s|B&G displays|Emtrak transponder|Lewmar traveller|Dyneema|Flexofold|Carbon pole|ball bearing genoacars|Membrame sails|Spi and asym spi|N2K->Wifi
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2019 at 20:08
I've just checked Gori's online recommendation to search a used one which will fit. But one day later I got a good offer from the sales service of Gori, as they have no official partner in Hungary. That's why I am thinking about it.
320 #145
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123