myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sprit and Spinnaker furler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sprit and Spinnaker furler
    Posted: 11 July 2018 at 15:30
After several adventures flying the symmetric spinnaker single handed, I made the decision to install a furler on a retractable sprit. I ordered a Selden 75mm sprit and a Harken Reflex 2 furler.  I used the Selden 90 degree bracket and fastened it to the port side of the double anchor roller, opposite the Rocna anchor.  I had to drill four 3/8"(10mm) holes. I used a 1/8" bit followed by 1/4 and then 3/8. I used one fresh 1/8" titanium bit for each hole. Use a center punch, the bits tend to wander on the hard stainless.

The sprit projects 700mm beyond the bracket, and the base is just aft of the anchor locker when extended. The sprit was overlong, and I had it shortened 480mm by the local repair shop at low cost. I will have to remove it to anchor. The next post will show the furler setup.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 17:16
Hi Graham,

Is the Reflex 2 furler oke for a symetrical spi? I use a asym. spi and I am looking for a furlersystem. So if this one is oké for a symetrical it should be perfect for a asymetrical.

Have fun.

Frank
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 17:59
I am ordering an asymm for it. That is what it is intended for. I chose Harken on the advice of the sailmaker. I do plan to try the symmmetric spinnaker on it but I have my doubts.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 00:22
Furler in place for test fit. It spins very freely. Still waiting for rigger to splice endless furling line.

The Harken torque rope has a stainless steel outer layer which makes it VERY resistant to twist.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 22:18
Ordering new spinnaker. Votes requested on color scheme.

Some possibilities. The boat is dark blue. Red and white are the colors of the Canadian flag:

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 07:26
Graham, my wife and I vote for no. 3

We think it will look beautifull with a darkblue hull 👍
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Markku View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Markku Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 09:23
Grahame,

The modern trend is only one color, but my choise out of these would be #3.

Markku
S/Y Flow
Hanse 371
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 15:51
Thanks for the votes. There are of course many other possible designs, including solid colors. Still deciding.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 17:03
We ordered design #1 which my wife (who outranks me) liked best.

In the meantime I took delivery of an endless furling line, new Dyneema spinnaker halyard and very long floating sheets. The latter, based on cost, must be woven from platinum thread.

This morning early (before the wind came up) I hooked up the old symmetrical spinnaker to the new furler and hoisted it (unfurled). Once up, I furled it. It took a lot of pulls on the furling line but it went smoothly. A very tight furl above the sheet, looser below. The clew goes up very high as it furls.

The photos show it partly and fully furled. It lowered to the deck easily and I packed it in the bag, bottom first, in a figure 8 pattern. Much easier than repacking a loose spinnaker, and it is much more compact.

More photos when we try it out at sea.

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2018 at 08:29

This is Echo, we have a similar continuous line furler. They work really well. This was taken a couple of weeks ago sailing Les Sables d'Olone to Ile de Re.
Steve. Hanse 341 Echo of Wight, . Deep draft and rudder, white hull, Single aft cabin. Raymarine instruments. Raymarine radar. Garmin AIS. Wheel Steering,   Portsmouth.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>