myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First Hanse - 5 Series

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Hanse - 5 Series
    Posted: 11 July 2018 at 18:35
Hi Hanse owners!

I need your experience in terms how easy the handling of a 540e is. I am 49 years old and started sailing at the age of 12 but due to business and family I was not able to sail as much as I wanted to. But now I changed some things in my life and want to focus more on the things I love most in life. Therefore I would say I am a medium experinced sailor willing to practice and learn from other sailors before I would start to take over responsibility for boot and people. Actually I am thinking of buying a used 2008 model Hanse 540e. 

So here comes my concerns: 
I want to live on my boot and start exploring the Mediterranean See with other sailors and at a later stage I will start sailing on my own. Is it possible to handle a 540 on my own? I don’t want to race or so I just want to have enough space and comfort when not sailing. As I told you I am turning 50 now 😉

Please let me know what you think and yes you can give me your advice regarding this model or is it better starting with a Hanse 470?

Many thanks for your support!

LunaRossa
SausalitoDave View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SausalitoDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 19:42
My first boat was a 505 and I was 66 at the time with limited experience in sailing.  So, it is certainly possible.  Sailing a Hanse is easily a one-person job. Docking a 50 foot boat will take some practice, especially in tight quarters in the Med. Nothing you can't master with practice and maybe a bit of training.

Go for it!

Dave
LunaRossa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2018 at 20:13
Thx Dave for your reply. 

I am thinking in the same direction regarding docking of a 50 foot boat will need some experience which I still not have. Sailing will not be that major issue after becoming acquainted with her. 

Maybe in a rough see it could be challenging but therefore an early reff would help a lot I think.

So any other advice regarding sailing with a 50 foot boat from the Hanse community?

Many thanks from an newcomer in the Hanse world.

Marcus
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 06:52
Actually I am sailing a 385  (with a bowthruster installed who is never used, so far ), last summer i rented a 44 ft in Croatia. I have a large crew Smile , my wife, daughter and myself. Really no stress, navigating was fine and comfortable and even in small marina's and Mediterranean mooring no problem at all even we had some days with strong winds. YES !! and to complete the story, No bowthruster in this rental one.
So i would say this is for me at least no shop stopper and size does not matter ! just more comfort what the crew really appreciated Thumbs Up
Best regards
/C
LunaRossa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 07:56
thx Carlosailfan,

is anybody sailing a 50 footer short handed? 

Please share your experience with us regarding on sea maneuvers and docking when you are on your own.

Many thanks a future Hanse owner
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 08:39
Hi LunaRossa,
I've a 470 and I am sailing often single or doublehanded. Last Year I raced the Silverrudder. It's a famous regatta in the Baltic Sea singlehanded. The Cockpit Layout from the 470 and the 540 is made for shorthanded crews. The big different between the two models are the Power and the Size of Sails while sailing or docking. The Bowthruster helps you up to 4bf. crosswind. Anything above is not working only with the Bowthruster. Their you need experience how to dock a boat with a high area of boat surface where the wind forces to the wrong Time...
I guess you should start with a 470 for a few Years!!

....only my two cents....
best regards

Bjoern

Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 09:17
LunaRossa,

We sail our 575 all the time double handed (0ver 13,000nm so far) but single handed would be more difficult, but not impossible. You are probably better off with a furling main (although performance not as good as slab reefing) you would definitely need a bow thruster and when you are doing Med mooring onto a town quay an anchor chain control in the cockpit or wireless remote would be a big help as would a chain counter but not necessary - just would be good to have. If you are normally single handed I would think a 470 would have plenty of room and reasonable tankage (fuel & water) for the Med. Ongoing costs for berthage, annual maintenance and slipping etc will all be more for the 540 by say 30% which is not excessive. We went for the larger boat because we wanted more tankage, more space for equipment (water maker, dive compressor, washer/drier etc) and have found the "real" dinghy garage to be a real advantage. Plus we are on board most of the year so the larger internal volume is better for us. 
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
LunaRossa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LunaRossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:03
thx Sailkoop
thx Wayne's World

thank you very much sharing your experience with us! Really appreciated

It is as difficult as expected :-)) on one side I would like space for all my diving gear, SUP, Kite, water maker etc. what would point directly to the 540 and on the other side I know that I will be most of the time on my own and no helping hands with me. Keeping that in mind I should prefer a 470 but the price difference to the bigger boats is not that much which let me think of buying a bigger boat. 

My price range is between € 150 - 200K and this is why 470 or 540 - but to be honest I slightly prefer the bigger one and still not sure if it would be possible for me to sail it one handed.

kipwrite View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipwrite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 11:41
I regularly sail my 505 single handed, and I have a standard Main with the sail bag. If you have a working autopilot and a bow thruster, with practice you will find these boats handle easily.

Coming into a dock a helping hand ashore helps enormously. The few times I’ve brought my boat into a slip without dockside help while singlehanded, I’ve only done so in light winds. The freeboard on these boats makes single hand docking tricky in higher winds.

Kipwrite
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2018 at 12:20
LunaRossa,

You may find a 540 with more options you want like generator, extra refrigeration etc. So maybe the bigger boat is better?
In the Med you are often met by marina staff in a RIB when entering a marina. If you radio them and tell them you are single handed and would like some additional assistance they will help. I have seen marina staff dropped onto incoming boats where additional assistance is needed for whatever reason. Of course at town quays there is normally no official assistance but there are often (in season) other sailors who will generally offer assistance. 
 I would not worry too much about handling a bigger boat when outside a marina or port area. Maybe you should reef a bit earlier, allow extra time and develop ways of getting things done as a single hander. As Kipwrite mentioned above a good autopilot is like having an extra person on board. 
Practice and your confidence will develop. You need to know when you can get into a marina berth or town quay and more importantly know when conditions exceed your experience and ability an choose a safer option like anchor out or arrange additional assistance. Make sure you have the boat well fendered up to protect other boats as well as you own. 
Good luck!   
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>