myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 385/388
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

storm jib for a 385

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallasobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: storm jib for a 385
    Posted: 13 July 2018 at 07:23
hi friends, I am interested in your views and experience with rigging a storm jib.  I am currently contemplating installing an inner forestay so I can attach a storm jib using hanks.  The other option is to use a sleeved jibsail and wrap it around the furled headsail.  Not sure what to do
Dallas
There is nothing - absolute NOTHING - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats
dallasobrien View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallasobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 09:49
some further thinking makes me realize that an inner forestay wont work with the self-tacking jib rigging with one sheet.  Meaning that I am forced to consider a storm jib with some sort of sleeve arrangement to go around the furled headsail. Has anyone been down this path?
There is nothing - absolute NOTHING - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2018 at 20:07
Hi,
Im going through the exact process right now on my 415. Most sail-makers are pretty quick to talk me out of the sleeved jib. They set badly, dont go well to windward, are hard to put up and ideally you want the center of effort closer to the mast.

Rigging a proper inner forestay is expensive but the best option!

But this alternative has been put to me: 
Get a storm jib made with a built in spectra luff / halyard. Put a big eye on the foredeck. Shackle the foot end of the sail (spectra eye) to the eye on the deck. then attach the fractional forward halyard to the head of the storm jib. Crank it tight from the cockpit. So basically your fractional forward halyard becomes the inner forestay.

Either use separate sheets to genoa tracks, this would mean disconnecting self tacking sheet (go to a big snap shackle) tieing up furled jib and stowing self tacking sheet somehow.

Alternatively you can switch the self tacking sheet to the clew of the storm jib (again a big snap shackle is better). In this case the storm jib would have be cut slightly differently. Not as ideal as its harder to control sail shape.
This option is good because if you can have the sail on the deck ready to hoist in a building breeze and it way better than leaning over the bow trying to wrap around and hank on a sleeve over the furled jib in a big sea.

No perfect option, but you want it to be as easy as possible. Imagine it being dark, 35 knots and rising. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Jeremy
Persse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Persse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 02:33
The main issue is a strong point on the foredeck in a suitable place for the size jib you want you would need to reinforce it well. I would like to have the option but am reluctant to spoil the inside.
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2018 at 20:35
Thats true. I know someone who put in a permanent inner forestay on a Hanse 400. It was a big task which involved removing the interior lining of the boat and adding glass reinforcing. Not just a basic Pad Eye.
Keep us updated on this one Dallas and what you decide is the best option.

Jeremy
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 03:50
Originally posted by dallasobrien dallasobrien wrote:

hi friends, I am interested in your views and experience with rigging a storm jib.  I am currently contemplating installing an inner forestay so I can attach a storm jib using hanks.  The other option is to use a sleeved jibsail and wrap it around the furled headsail.  Not sure what to do
Dallas

Hi Dallas.
Any luck with an inner forestay?
I've been looking into it on my 415 (as I said before). Im finding it difficult to find a reinforced attachment point to the deck. The bulk head just behind the anchor locker is the obvious option however access is near impossible. Plus like you, our forward hatch is up against the anchor locker itself. Not leaving much room for a forestay in between.

Just wondered if you had an idea. Or a solution?

Thanks.
Jeremy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallasobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 08:57
hi Jeremy, For my 385 major surgery and major $ would have been required to install an inner forestay.  I have ordered a storm jib designed to wrap around a furled headsail.  By tying off the headsail, I can then attach the self-tacking jib sheet to the storm jib.  Such a storm jib is called a Gale sail.  It has a dacron sleeve which wraps around the furled headsail
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2018 at 20:34
Yes I think youre right. The inner forestay may be more hassle and money than its worth.
Are you doing a 3rd reef? Im working that one out now too. Dont want reefing lines running most of the way up the main so looking for a reefing alternative.
Jeremy
Ilkhanse View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ilkhanse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 01:43
Hi Dallas, I was curious if you have had the chance to use your Gale sail.  If so, how did it go?  Thx!
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dallasobrien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 03:01
Hi, I am happy to say that I have not had to use the sail yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>