myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self Tacking Jib

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Self Tacking Jib
    Posted: 14 August 2018 at 23:12
My  Self Tacking Jib has some clews critically deformed after 4 years of usage. As you can see in the picture, it became very dangerous to continue to use the sail.
Any recommendation? Did anyone had the same problem?
Thank you
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 23:13
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 23:16
I am sorry. I tried to attach a picture, but didn't work...
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2018 at 23:31
Please see picture
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOyQ4PER9bm5voGS_c25b0P0pDt61WL7bmEsaAb
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 18:24
Get a 404 error (not found).    Cannot see the picture.

Keep in mind that the picture (I think) cannot be more than 500KB.   You might need to lower the size or resolution..

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 19:20
Please use this link

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOyQ4PER9bm5voGS_c25b0P0pDt61WL7bmEsaAb

Thank you 
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2018 at 21:06
German,

Your link shows as an error. If you have an early headsail you may find the clew board is not up to the loads involved. We had our clew board replaced under warranty when the shackle pulled through one of the fixing points. Before the clew board was replaced we used two bow shackles to attached the self tacker sheet to two of the undamaged fixing points on the clew board. This spreads the load over two fittings and lasted for a few months and probably would have still be working now but the clew board was replaced with a much stronger unit. Hopefully you can still post the image just to check we are talking about the same problem.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2018 at 00:42
You should also take a look at my post on selden furling gear in the 575 discussion area.  The halyard tension required for most membrane sails is often much more than the selden gear was designed for.    Be careful you are not using your electric winches with too much gusto.    The winches can overpower the clew hardware as well as the halyard swivel at the top of the mast.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 15:00
Thank you for your  comment. Yes, I have been using my jib really tight. Sometimes I even put the boat against the wind to tight even more the sail and get a lower AWA. Maybe this is the reason for the damaged clews. 
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 20:13
The clews are too weak.
I had a clew broken and the Jib has been seriously damaged because of the recoil.
The self tacking Jib was the more expensive Elvström type.
Take care.
After this issue I ordered a not self tacking 105% genoa.
The boat runs much better and tacking is quick and easy.
Yes, also before this issue I was hating the self tacking jib!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>