myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Self Tacking Jib

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 21:03
Grazie Marco!
How does the boat behave with True Winds above 17/18 knots with the full genoa? Did you see a big difference? Need to reef earlier?
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 21:15
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 22:05
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2018 at 23:03
No significant difference with 105%
It is slightly more balanced at helm, however still griping.
What I see from the picture is that it is about to break very soon.
The board is a very bad design, same as mine.
The holes are too near to the edge and there is not enough
material to sustain the very high loads.
The whole thing is too thin and weak.
Which hull nr is your boat?
Mine is one of the first, hull #25
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 00:15
I don't believe this has anything to do with the amount of overlap (95% vs 105%).    Its all about halyard tension and whether the sail and/or the hardware are capable of dealing with the tension that an electric winch and new halyards can deliver.

A 10mm high tech line can handle 20,000lbs of load whereas 20 years ago the same line would have snapped at 2/3rd of that working load.   Furling gear was designed for 8000-10,000lbs of load on the halyard whereas the new membrane sails can require 15000-20,000lbs of tension to perform well.

Think about the full system and identify where the weakest link is.  I think you will find its in things like pressed in rings,  undersized shackles,   etc..

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 04:27
Hull #41
Thank you again for your comments.
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 06:29
German , 

The clew board you have was the same as our original and the eyes deformed and in the end pulled through after about one month of use. Our dealer, Inspiration Marine in the UK advised us this board was not suitable and had it replaced by Elvstrum in Hamble while we were there with a much stronger board and for the last 5 seasons and and a further 13,000nm we have not had any problems with. The new clew board is a Antal model JD-10. We have electric winches but have not changed how we use them.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
German View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote German Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2018 at 19:44
Wayne, 

Thank you for your answer. I have just checked the Antal site and it seems that the JD line is gone. Now they sell the JB models, which have only 5 clews, with no points in the lower part of the board. Is this the one you have? 

Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 10:45
German,

Sorry our clew board is indeed a Antal JB10 model with 5 attachment points. See attached image.

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2018 at 12:53
In my case the jib was always loose in the upper part.
Because of this I was using the higher ring.
The load and stress on the clew board is much higher in this condition.
And a break is more likely.
Looking at the Antal picture it does not seem much stronger than mine, older type.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>