myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Isotherm cooling unit and frost formation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Isotherm cooling unit and frost formation
    Posted: 20 August 2018 at 08:43
Hi All,

I am posting this on this section as I would expect other models are using the same Isotherm unit and might have experienced the same thing.
When I use the fridge (Isotherm unit with double entrance, front and top) for more than a couple of days the ice box becomes substantially useless because its door is completely stuck by the excessive frost created
This happens also if I just leave the fridge on for a couple of days when I am away (i.e. no one opening and closing the top).
Someone told me that I should replace the gasket, but before doing that I would like to check if anyone has experienced the same issue and hear for potential solutions.
Best
Richz

S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 09:32
I find that you need to take great care to ensure that the freezer compartment door/flap is completely shut.  As soon as ice starts to form its difficult to get the flap to close completely and then the ice builds more rapidly.

I live aboard during the summer months and find that I need to defrost every 2-3 weeks even though I take care to keep the freezer door fully closed.

I think that a better door seal on this compartment might reduce this issue.
H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2018 at 10:12
Dear all,

i face the same issue, the seal is not always staying in position and there is a gap where the seal is put together so i saw the ice growing Cry
What i did last week is pulling it completely out and turn it around so both ends of the seal are now on top of the door and not at the downside. I stretched the seal and closed the gap at the end. 
Honestly i would like to change this seal but does anyone know where I can get it ?

thanks,
Carlo
Best regards
/C
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2018 at 19:21
We spend 2-3 months in the Med on our 445 and most of the air temperature outside can get really hot at times. We also had this "frost in two days" issue with our Isotherm and by trial and error discovered the following set of rules that greatly reduce the frosting. We can now go for weeks without de-frosting the fridge/cooler.
- keep everything in sealed containers or sealed bags, and no paper bags, this especially concerns any fruits and vegetables. A peach or a tomato not in a sealed box will evaporate so much moisture overnight that the fridge compartment will cover by ice, quite noticeably;
- our sink is right next to the top cooler door, any water getting in there immediately finds its way on the fridge compartment, so we cover it with tower when washing dishes in a sink;
- anything in the fridge compartment can kick-open the fridge compartment door when the boat is heeled hard over, so we block the door when going sailing; when the fridge compartment is half-closed the ice forms quicker;
- any open water, drops from condensation, melted ice etc, evaporates and finds its way on the fridge to form ice, remove as soon as you notice it there.

richz View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2018 at 20:58
Hi Konstantin, thanks for the advice.
I will try!

toholthe View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toholthe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2018 at 10:42
Anyone tried to install a fan inside the fridge to get some more air circulation. My freezer unit is cold, but the other side of the fridge is not.
 Post Reply Post Reply