myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Winter cover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Winter cover?
    Posted: 31 August 2018 at 08:02
I bought my Hanse 325 this summer in norden part of Sweden and it has been stored indoor in heated garage all winters. I will have it outside and I'm not sure how I gonna cover it, any good suggestions/Tips?

Full cover? pros and cons
only cockpit cover? pros and cons

if you have any suggestions, please let me know!
sailed around the world
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 10:11
For the last 3 wintersI have had mine shrink-wrapped which cost around 300 euros +VAT at Greifswald.
This year I am in the UK and I am having a tonneau cover made so at least the teak in the cockpit will be protected.

H458 #159 Primal Mediterranean cruising
Agnes View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:22
Thanks for fast answer, which manufacturer do use for the tonneau cover? Do you have any photos?
sailed around the world
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2018 at 11:56
Shrink wrap is a good short term answer, but I keep my boats a while.   Over a 5-8 year period, I've found its more cost effective (and better for the boat) to have a permanent cover made.    Its more expensive, but it the best thing for your boat.     Not only does it keep snow and ice off your boat, but a good percentage of the years UV away from your gelcoat and paint.

If you have one made, a few thoughts:

1.  Make sure you have a way to get into the boat for winter projects.  Most will put at least one door in for you.   

2.  Make sure you have good ventilation (Shrink wrap sometimes can trap moisture in).  Clamshell vents are a must.

3.  Make sure chafe protection for the cover as well as your boat is adequate.   

4.  Where will you keep it during the summer?   These are not small.    My canvas guy also has a service for putting it on and taking it off every year which includes summer storage.   I make a call in the spring and a call in the fall and that's it.    If you do it yourself,  make sure the sections are sized so *YOU* and whomever helps you can do the job.   I did it for 25 years and no longer wish to be wrestling with canvas 20 ft above the ground, so...

5.  Think about hanging a solar panel off the steep part during the winter to keep the batteries trickle charged unless you take them off the boat.  You do not want them to freeze in the winter.   Had this happen once when I let them get run down...

Here is the one I had built for our 575 this past year.

Edited by Black Diamond - 31 August 2018 at 12:03
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2018 at 22:54
Tonneau is to be made by Adrift Covers at Gosport, UK.  www.adriftcovers.co.uk

It has not yet been delivered so I cannot comment on the quality or fit.

It will use the sprayhood track to hold it at the front and I have asked for it to be designed for cover with the steering wheels removed to avoid low points that might collect water.  It will have buckles to tie the sides to the stanchions, and elastic with hooks to attach it to the transom.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 13:10
S&J,  not sure I understand your cover setup...    Is the mast going to be removed?    Most covers will use the boom to create a high point for run-off so why would you need to remove the steering wheels?

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
S&J View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S&J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 13:42
My tonneau will only cover the cockpit, from the sprayhood back to the transom.  My main objective is to protect the teak.  I don't have the full teak deck package.
Stuart
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2018 at 14:45
Ah... I understand... Many boats do that here as well.

While New England isn't Sweden,  we do get cold weather and severe storms.   Last winter many boats had their batteries freeze and we had meters of snow drop.     Even if you have no teak,  protecting the entire topsides seems important given its  being exposed to 33% more UV on the gelcoat (3 more months),  the snow and ice sitting on the deck,  and moisture working its way into joints and low spots to then expand and damage the gelcoat.   Not to mention the dirt and crud that gets into your boom,  the line tunnels, and the scuppers.  

Any cover is better than no cover,  but if you can,  I'd recommend a full cover with decent pitch. 

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
Agnes View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Agnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 08:55
Thanks for the fast response, could you post picture when ready?
sailed around the world
Carlosailfan View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlosailfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2018 at 12:00
Hello all,

whats your opinion regarding the important extra surface in heavy winds / storm ? I am taking in consideration a cover but have my doubts for bad weather conditions where the wind can destroy the boat ?
Best regards
/C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>