myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swim Platform remote control box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swim Platform remote control box
    Posted: 06 November 2020 at 15:25
My fob has failed.   I am in Sint Maarten after hurricane season layup in Puerto Rico.  The heat, moisture and sun down here is brutal on everything.  My fob stopped working so when I replaced the battery, I saw that is had a lot of corrosion inside and now doesn't work.   In a way,  I'm glad!   I never liked it.  It was always hit-n-miss weather it would work or not...and many times requiring multiple tries of turning it off and on.   Plus it is also big and bulky and we needed more than one.  

Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2020 at 14:06
I saw that you went to St Maarten.      Did it just fail, or are you doing this pre-emptively?

If you need more info,  just send me a note.   Laying on my back across the hatch to install this was not exactly fun, but its been problem free since.   Key learning:    Get multiple remotes.   Even though you can buy them later you need to program them to the base unit and you don't want to crawl in there again.    I did four.  One got crushed so I am down to three.   Still fine,  but if you have the option...

Edited by Black Diamond - 06 November 2020 at 14:10
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2020 at 13:04
Thank you for this info Rick!    It's time for me to replace my stern gate remote control.  You've made the process 100X easier by posting this stuff!

boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 20:53
hi Rick,

Thanks for everything, i really appreciate your help, I will speak ASAP with the shipyard to try to obtain similar system for my next cruise. It will certainly reduce my back pain....... you did a fantastic job, I’ll send you pics when the job will be done! 
Have a great season!
D
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2020 at 00:21
Nothing was ordered from Hanse.  

Hurley Winches are available at almost any marine store.  You just need to see about a wireless remote for it.     Same thing for the starboard and the roller rails.  Any marine outlet on the internet has these.

I'll send you the drawings I did via private mail...   You need to measure it for overhang on the stern gate and to put in the chromed / threaded fastening points.

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2020 at 21:48
many thanks for this! It looks great, so what did you order specifically from Hanse so that I can do the same. I have a Lexmark last generation winch with a remote and a remote compressor and I also did lay down the engine on the side since now the same Yamaha 15 you have but I just use to pull it down and up with nothing else than the winch and it s not easy. From may i will get the new Suzuki 15 that is specifically made to be lay down and I definitely want to improve the system. By any chance do you have a drawing of the part Bristol marine created or do they sell it? My boat is now in the south of France and I can perhaps order it...
Also do you have the part number you ordered from Hanse?
Many thanks for your help!
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 21:59
I designed it myself out of frustration.  The cost of the dinghy plus the launch system from Hanse was too high and the Williams tender too small for us plus our dogs. 

The tender is an AB 9.6 with an aluminum bottom and a bow locker.   It weighs about 110lbs.   I have a Yamaha 15hp two stroke engine that weighs about 74lbs.    Initially I tried laying the engine on its side in the dinghy and just mounting it after launching the dinghy, but apparently this model of engine does not do well lying on its side.  You can get fluids in the cylinders that you don't want and some expensive repairs.  So.....  I have a Garhauer lift on the starboard aft rail for the outboard and keep it vertical on a rail mount.  Piece of cake to handle it with electric winches and the Garhauer.   Other motors apparently don't have this issue.

On the dinghy system,  what I did was get some aluminum rails for a boat trailer (available for about $100 on the internet, and they won't rust.. well much) and put them on some starboard (plastic wood) 2x3 in the rail grooves provided by Hanse.   We have a Hurley winch with a wireless remote control mounted forward in the garage near the liferaft storage.

The most complex piece was having something fashioned by Bristol Marine to mount on my swim platform which provides rollers such that when its dragged out of the water it doesn't scratch up the platform.    Again,  standard trailer rollers with some fabricated stainless worked well.   You can push the dinghy down the rollers by hand to launch it and pull it out of the water with the Hurley winch.  

By deflating the bow tubes I can get a 10' dinghy in the garage.   I need to deflate them not because of the length (you can also deflate the stern tubes and get a foot back there if you want something bigger).   The issue is height.  A rigid bottom inflatable with the bow tubes inflated will not fit forward as the hard bottom plus the tube is too high.   Deflating and inflating is easy given the 12V compressor installed aft.

See pictures and annotations.

* You can also see the sheet bags I mounted inside the garage for additional storage.  Both sides have 3-4 bags and its a great place to put things you don't want in the cockpit lockers or forward in the sail locker.

Hope this helps!    I have the manuals for the williams jet tender, the $18K launch option they wanted me to buy, etc..  I think this works just as well and you get a much bigger dinghy.   The Williams jet tender just has the engine built in versus the outboard.

Edited by Black Diamond - 03 February 2020 at 13:30
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 21:05
hi Rick, 

Thanks for thé pics it certainly helps!
By the way, in looking at them, I’ve been very interested by the system you have to dock the tender.
Where did you find it? 
I have a tender with a 15 hp engine which is a bit heavy and I would like to upgrade the system my dealer installed...
I ll be very happy to get more info on yours, if you agree.
Thanks 
D
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 10:30
A few thoughts:

1.   Anything is likely better than the NIMBLE setup that comes with the boat.

2.   If you use it from a dinghy (we run our dogs ashore several times/day) you really want it to be waterproof.    We attach ours to floating key chains so if we drop them we can just pick them up.

3.   The 500' range on the GAMA unit is nice.    We can be getting soaked in the rain 150 yards away from the boat and start the gate down so its ready when we get there.

4.   The installation is not that tough.   Its just lying on your back upside down to disconnect  the old and connect the new that is rough.   I have a cushion I throw over the edge of the bulkhead to help with that.

5.   I did not have the "dinghy package" which has the special hydraulics and the gate which goes below horizontal.   It was US$21,000.00 for the jet tender and US$18,000.00 for the hydraulics/track and I found that ridiculous.    I don't believe the control wiring would be different, but its worth noting.   I just put in my own track setup for the stern garage for about US$5K (plus dinghy) and it works fine.

The hatch to the left of the air compressor is where the install takes place. 

Edited by Black Diamond - 05 February 2020 at 12:59
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Newport, RI
boomjack View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boomjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 February 2020 at 06:54
Thanks Rick and Duncan for these valuable information. Now I have a dilema....., 2 different solutions!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>