myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Recharge house batteries with engine or genset?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recharge house batteries with engine or genset?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recharge house batteries with engine or genset?
    Posted: 16 September 2018 at 14:47
We’ve left our marina and are living on the hook for another month before hauling out for the winter.

Each morning, I run the engine for an hour or so to recharge the house batteries. I’ve also started the generator and used it for recharging.

What do you do? Engine or genset?

Solar panels are on the list but not this season.

Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2018 at 17:58
Rob,

If we are recharging batteries we run the genset. We have the upgraded batteries and charger/inverter so the charger gives up to 120 amps. The high output alternator on the drive motor puts out up to 150 amps but it seems an overkill to run a 110hp engine just to charge batteries. The generator is also quieter inside the boat and also quieter for other boats near by as there is not splash splash of cooling water which you get with running the drive engine. Whilst we are running the genset we also run the washing machine, vacuum cleaner, coffee machine etc - all the things you want to run occasionally which are probably a bit big for the inverter.  
Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2018 at 00:05
Great Reply !!

Thank you!!

Rob
marcopone View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcopone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2018 at 09:59
The question should be why wouldn’t I use the genset to recharge batteries when not motoring?
The Fischer Panda 8000i use a Kubota 2 cylinders 482cc motor while Volvo unit is a 5 cylinders 2.400 cc. .
So, besides what already said, the FP should be much more efficient in terms of lt/h consumption.

The only advantage I see in using the Volvo is that it would run at much lower RPM and it is a motor built for very long lifetime. On the other hand the FP is running between 2400 and 2850 rpm and it is not such a heavy duty device.
On my unit I already had many problems: after around 20hours they had to take out the whole unit and replace the generator because of electrical failure. The inverter has been also changed.
Then I had problems with the water pump, twice the seal was broken and much salt water was flushing inside the case over the motor.
Last I had to change a piece in the discharge line because it was corroded.
This after only 150 hours of functioning.
(I did not mention the 3 water propellers changed because this could be normal wear, although I do not agree).
 Post Reply Post Reply