myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 445/455/458
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Solar panel(s)on a 455

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mistik455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2018 at 10:45
We’ve mounted soft solar panels on our rear section Bimini (455) 4 months ago, and very happy (rear section as we have to slightly push back the Bimini when we put up and down the Spray Dodger). We really like that our deck space isn’t compromised. No probs yet, and had mounted soft solar on boat in NZ previously for last few years with no issues. Highly recommended, really increases battery ability - living on our yacht 4 - 5 months so running 2 fridges and freezer. Suggestion: go for Italian rather than Chinese panels as longer life. However, we had fitted in Turkey and unfortunately only Chinese avail ... so far, so good. 
Karine + Graham
GreyGoose View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GreyGoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 19:51
I fitted 3x 125W rigid panels on an A-frame above the helm, mated to a Victron MPPT controller and a 1600W invertor. They work great for extended cruising and at anchor, giving enough AC to power the water heater or microwave! As with any though, shade from the wrong tack does cause a big drop. Any panels mounted under the main will be rendered ineffective if shaded by the main so fine in port or motoring but not so good when cruising under sail.
DotandDash View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DotandDash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2018 at 14:33
We mounted 4 of the Solbian 100W panels on our bimini. There is a plastic semi-rigid backing plate under each panel, and the panels are zippered on to the bimini canvas. They are wired in parallel with blocking diodes and attached to a Blue Sky 3000i MPPT controller. See this planning document for solar installations: http://www.coastalclimatecontrol.com/images/PDF/solar/Marine-Solar-Systems---Planning-and-Installation-V4.pdf

Falshator 61 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Falshator 61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 04:37
When positioning your Panels, be aware of shading as 10% of shading on a panel will kill that panel and you won't get very good charging from it. Shading from your mainsail is the main issue. I built a frame over the Bimini with 100mm gap for air movement and that was behind the Back stay.I put two 240watt 24V panels that go through a good Charge Controller and in the Tropics can produce 35 amps of charging. I also doubled up the Batteries to give us 660 amp Hrs usage.  We could run our Watermaker that draws 38amps for two hrs making 100 litres from 1100 to 1300 and the Panels would top up the power used by end of the day
Your dreams are what give us strength,
but you will never know if you have the strength to realise your dreams....
unless you try
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2019 at 09:00
GreyGoose, I'm considering to do the same on our 445, do you have pictures to share? What brand/model panels did you chose?
Mike2145 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike2145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2019 at 21:10
Originally posted by Samtutuki Samtutuki wrote:

Flexiblible panels particularly when mounted on bimini canvas have been known to catch fire.  Of course they are light weight which is often an advantage.

On my previous 445 I mounted two rigid panels above the bimini so that air could circulate underneath them to remove the considerable amount of heat generated by the panel. 

Equally important is to use one MPPT controller per panel to maximise energy harvesting.

Hi. Samtutuki. I have 3 semi ridged panels onthe Bimini and was completely unaware of them catching fire. I know the Bimini manufacturer has made quite a few. I have done a quick search on the net and can’t find a reference to the fire risk. Can you link me to the source of this so I can investigate? 

Cant take a joke, don't buy a boat.
Samtutuki View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Samtutuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 00:48
Nothing on internet. Anecdotal from local Hanse agent. Problem stems from a) bikini canvas not tight enough and b) solar panels installed across structural bow of Bimini.  Panels get very hot in direct sunlight.
Mike2145 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike2145 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 08:01
Originally posted by Samtutuki Samtutuki wrote:

Nothing on internet. Anecdotal from local Hanse agent. Problem stems from a) bikini canvas not tight enough and b) solar panels installed across structural bow of Bimini.  Panels get very hot in direct sunlight.

Thanks. I have had them on a few weeks now and they never get so hot you can’t touch them.  We will see later in the year when the sun is at a maximum. I’ll be in Greece so a reasonable test. They will become less efficient as they heat up so better air flow would be desirable but as always on a boat it’s a compromise.  There is the possibility that an electrical problem will cause a fire but I think that risk is very low. 

We have the panels mounted between the bars so no significant flex, on a 415 we can only get 3 100w panels on our bimini. It will be interesting to see what the lifespan is. There are very extreme examples ranging from a few weeks to many years mounted in this way. 
Cant take a joke, don't buy a boat.
debem View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 13:34
I all
I have installed four 65 Wattp Solbian panels. two on port side and two on starboard. they work well, but it is advisable to link them with two charge regulators instead of just one as I did because of the different position towards the sun. in the next few days I will modify the connection
Marco D.B.
Marina Di Varazze. Itally

Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2019 at 14:48
Hi Marco, thank you for sharing this, great installation! Are these walkable panels? How much did you pay for them if I may ask?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>