myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 461 / 470
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Arnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help please
    Posted: 26 September 2018 at 18:40
2 questions does anyone know where my hot water tank is on my 8 year old Hanse 470 but more importantly I have hot water on shore power via the switch panel but I don’t have hot water via the engine. I think there must be a valve somewhere which wants opening , anyone know where it is. Many thanks
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 08:50
Your hot water Tank should be in the Motor compartment on the Top of the Motor! the Valve is on port side of the Tank!
best regards

Bjoern

jeb View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2018 at 08:55
I don't know where the heater is mounted on a 470 but there should be 2 hoses (normally blue) mounted tho the thermostat housing on the engine. Just follow thos and look for the heater. You might also find a valve. I use to have problems on my Hanse 400 that the water was self circulating after the enginge was turned off and the hot water cooled off to quick. My solution was to install a valve on the hose. If you can't find the blue hoses you have the root cause but it will not help you to find the heater.
Jesper
Hanse 400e
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 14:19
It should be under the bed in the starboard aft cabin not sure why the engine don’t circulate hot water through the heater when running
Niels
Jackie Arnold View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackie Arnold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 14:23
Thanks for that. I’ve found the heater but no valve. I think I need to upgrade the system the hot water tank isn’t a clorifier with insulation etc and seems rather small for a 47 ft yacht.
sailkoop View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailkoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2018 at 15:25
Please,
send some pics for a better understanding and more helpful advices from our side....
best regards

Bjoern

tobo2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobo2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 16:12
To be honest dear Alexander: If you want to enjoy sailing a Hanse, you should know a bit more about the technical details, otherwise you will be lost with the smallest issue.

Here are the  basics: The waterheater -which is not small at all with 40 L capacity- sits on top of the engine. (The new Hanse 508, which is a kind of successor model of the 470, only have 20 L waterheater, so be lucky you have 470!). Two tubes (s. pic) bring the hot water into the waterheater via a closed heating coil respectively back into the freshwater circuit. The 2 valves are not standard, I added them, because in case of waterheater failure (i.e. leakage of spiral, rost) boiler water could mix with the freshwater of the engine and overflow the expansion tank. You must understand, that the normal water of the waterheater should never come in contact with the freshwater of the engine, as this is mixed with the special anticorrosive and antifreeze additive (rose color).  In your case these valves might either be closed - if they are present -  or the thermostat of the engine does not open, meaning is blocked.

Edited by tobo2 - 02 October 2018 at 17:57
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2018 at 19:22
Manages two showers as long as you don’t linger for to long, not sure if I would change just yet as I didn’t find it a big problem, I’m sure there are other issues that has a higher priority, perhaps find out why the engine doesn’t heat the water when running
Niels
Idratherbesailing View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idratherbesailing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 13:46
My HW tank is under the starboard aft cabin bunk. 
I have the 74 HP engine and it does not heat the water much if you are running with no load on the engine.  On idle, the engine is simply not working hard enough so you need to put it in gear and make it work a bit plus test your anchor/mooring/lines in the process....
gpw
JonB View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2018 at 14:03
Jackie,

I'll take some pics of my standard set up, or as installed from new, tomorrow for you.  We can run the engine on idle and get piping hot water, which is still warm two days after.  I went up the mast on Sunday and yesterday the water was still hot enough to wash my hands with.

The immersion heater switch is under the chart table.

The Yanmar has two sources of coolant, the sea water which goes through the exhaust and a sealed system which you need to top up with antifreeze in winter and the hoses for that connects to the copper pipes that run through the clarifier.

Pictures paint a thousand words and I'll post them on line tomorrow for you.
Jon B
470e
http://www.norse-king.blogspot.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>