myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Swinging on anchor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swinging on anchor
    Posted: 28 September 2018 at 15:06
I’ve spent most of the season on anchor, rarely pick up a mooring ball, and as I type, I’m pinned down with gusts coming in around 25-30knts.

I’ve always noticed that I seem to swing a lot more than other boats.   Not around the anchor circle but mostly in place. The boat will point right, then left, then right, left....

Other boats don’t seem to swing nearly as much. Maybe it just seems like I swing a lot from the perspective of being on board.

Do you notice excessive swinging?

I typically use about 6:1 scope. I shoot for 5:1, then drop a little extra for good measure, then connect my anchor bridal...

scott View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 15:37
I've found the same with my 415. I've read elsewhere that this is common to higher-performance hull shapes, with fin keels and spade rudders.

I've been able to dampen my swinging a bit by locking the rudder wheels hard to one side or the other.
Scott
Sailing Mer, Hanse 415, Hull #85
Seattle
Wayne's World View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne's World Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2018 at 15:47
Rob,

In strong winds we often get a swing of about 130 degrees. As Scott mentioned it appears a lot of newer boats swing a lot at anchor. We ended up buying a Anchor Sail from the US which reduces the swing arc by at least 50%. This also means there is less snatching of the chain and anchor. The one we bought is called a FinDelta and was supplied by Banner Bay Marine. 

Wayne W
Cruising, currently in the Caribbean and will head across the Pacific early 2024
Gale Force View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 07:11
Recently spent a night at anchor with gusts unto 35 knots  and I would say we were swinging wildly while others seemed quite calm around us.We could really feel it down below and especially when the direction changed.However the anchor held fast all night.The experience really gave us a big boost in confidence

Duncan
cwetto View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwetto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 08:54
Originally posted by Relentless Relentless wrote:

I’ve spent most of the season on anchor, rarely pick up a mooring ball, and as I type, I’m pinned down with gusts coming in around 25-30knts.

I’ve always noticed that I seem to swing a lot more than other boats.   Not around the anchor circle but mostly in place. The boat will point right, then left, then right, left....

Other boats don’t seem to swing nearly as much. Maybe it just seems like I swing a lot from the perspective of being on board.

Do you notice excessive swinging?

I typically use about 6:1 scope. I shoot for 5:1, then drop a little extra for good measure, then connect my anchor bridal...

More swing on anchor is feature of higher-performance flat bottom hull shapes, with fin keels and spade rudders, not a bug :) High freeboards are also benefit for more swing. Thats why all Hanse designs swing more than others :)
You can reduce swing fixing rudder in neutral position. We never used anchor sail, but interested in experinces. 
Cwetto
Hanse 540e 2007, sailing Med
Relentless View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Relentless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2018 at 14:19
That is very interesting Wayne!!! I haven’t seen one of those yet. Thank you for sharing!!
Jeremy View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2018 at 21:45
Hi,
We have a 415 and sitting in 30 knot gusts we ride up on the anchor, heal violently, then repeat the process on the other tack. Not easy sleeping.
I have a 2.5ft diameter conical drogue with a stainless steel wire hoop at the opening, its designed to limit speed. 
I hang this off the stern cleat about 1m under the water. I've tested this in 12 to 15 knot gusts at anchor and it seems to be effective in dramatically slowing and minimizing the 'sailing at anchor' motion. Yet to try it in more wind. 
A basic $30 fishing drogue may have the same effect. Maybe worth a try!
Jeremy
Mark&Catherine View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark&Catherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 08:00
we have a simple triangle sail that we mount on the backstay in a similar place to Wayne's posh one, it was given to us.  Even the single sheet reduces swinging substantially, but the difficulty is in securing the sail in place, what ever we do it takes a while for the wind to 'catch' the new side as we have some boom movement and the 'clew' has to be supported somewhere in mid air between the split back stays.  Nevertheless it works, I imagine a nice two sided one like Wayne's is an excellent addition.  We don't mind the swinging unless it gets really extreme, but the world does wizz past when you look up out of the companionway sometimes
385 ubulukutu sail number GBR 3350L in Turkey and Greece with Mark and Catherine
Infinity III View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Infinity III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2018 at 13:35
This is our anchor sail. Made by Zar Sails in Norway. Works perfectly and easy to hoist in less than 5 minutes. 

Infinity III
Black Diamond View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Diamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2018 at 16:23
Steve Thurston at Quantum Thurston in RI is making one for us this winter.    They work really well, but there are some less-than-useful ones out there for a cheap price.  Be careful.

Much of this has to do with HUGE freeboard and the flat-bottom performance hull shape.   Having been on anchor and mooring in gales we swung a bit, but not more than I expected.   The riding sail will reduce this, but I expect that the hull/keel configuration is still going to cause some.
Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hanse 575 Build #192, Hull# 161
Newport, RI
 Post Reply Post Reply