myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaning upholstery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaning upholstery
    Posted: 02 October 2018 at 15:18
Our upholstery is now just 3 years old but looking a bit grubby. Its the 'Atlantic' fabric. I cant find any cleaning instructions anywhere. Do I wash it with soap?, detergent?, what temperature?, by hand?, in a machine?, or dry clean it?. Does it need another application of Scotch Guard afterwards?

I guess others must have done it. Any advice please  
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Konstantin View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Konstantin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 14:47
I used some hardcore dirt-cheap car seat spray cleaner on our beige upholstery that needed some cleaning after 4 years of use, especially on corners, and it worked like magic. A year later still looks great.
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2018 at 17:41
Only a couple of years after I got the 400 I left the cushions on the boat through the winter, bad news. Dampness set in the far reaches of the boat and the upholstery discoloured with  mold. Unzipped them and removed the covers - a bit of work but it can be done. Had them dry cleaned and they were perfect once again. Then I set about putting the covers back on - OMG, it was like wrestling a greased pig. It took 2 of us the better part of the day. Only recommended if you like a challenge.

You might want to try renting a steam cleaner that is used for carpets and upholstery....
Steve

Hanse 400e, #168
Armin View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Armin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2018 at 22:07
After a seasick person left what should have went elsewhere I unzipped the 3 years old original cover (no leather!) and simply placed it in the machine (cold) as I did not saw another option. But as Rubato said ... quite a fight to get it back on ... only for one cover 30 minutes. For the complete setting ... . But looks perfect again.

Armin
Hanse 345#181 (MONMON) - new in April 2015 - Alicante / Spain
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2018 at 17:18
Wrap the interior in a slippery film (like Saran Wrap) and will will help in putting the cover back on.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 October 2018 at 09:40
Bear in mind, that you have to remove the film when you are finished. Imho plain PE Polyethylene film is better than Saran, as it is easier to remove.
Frank
mglonnro View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mglonnro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 10:23
It's nice to know that there are zippers :)

But Hanse doesn't provide any washing recommendations/instructions? I guess someone, somewhere (the fabric manufacturer) knows how it should be washed. 

EDIT: I'm no washing expert myself, but having battled with IKEA zippers I remember that some fabrics need to be washed in hotter temperature to retain their structure and size. (And some dry cleaned, of course.)

Edited by mglonnro - 15 October 2018 at 10:26
Scotchmist View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotchmist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 13:36
PE polythene? is that just thick polythene sheeting you get from building material suppliers?. Saran Wrap. Is that Cling Film - the stuff you use to cover food in the fridge etc?
Andrew

Scotch Mischief Dehler 38 by Hanse
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2018 at 16:36
Hi Andrew, 

Polyethylene is referred to generally as PE. Older Brits used to call it Polythen.
This is the stuff carry bags are made off, you used to get free of charge in the super markets.
It is very thin between 6 and 15 micron.
You can also use Polypropylene ( PP ), this is the stuff the florist uses to wrap the flowers, which you buy for your wife every Saturday.

If somebody could find out the washing instructions I would be VERY interested. This year we took all upholstery home, as we thought it would be nice to laundry everything after 5 seasons.
Frank
FTK View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FTK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2018 at 12:19
Hi Rubato,

Did you dry clean the covers with the cable (seat cushion)? I also tried to dry clean that parts, but they said it could do some damage and not guarantee the result.
320 #145
 Post Reply Post Reply