myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 575/588
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rod Kicker

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rod Kicker
    Posted: 04 January 2019 at 09:29
Has anyone fitted a gas strut into their rod kicker which I believe would negate the need for a topping lift.
If so then is this a straight forward procedure and I surmise that Selden would have an aftermarket part for this

Cheers

Duncan
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2019 at 12:11
Hi Duncan, you can order this gas strut. We’ve done this upgrade one time by a dealer and the second time ourselfs. I’ve owned several boats that came without this gas strut. Believe me with it makes live easier. And you can shape your main better in light wind. Good luck!
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 22:54
It is easy it is straightforward sellden has the parts in their catalogue just make sure you get the 5k nm the 2.5k nm won’t be strong enough I had a 470 that was fitted with a 2.5k nm bot found it to weak to lift the boom and assist in trimming the sail, it is a bliss not having a topping lift much easier to set the sail as you want it, the only draw back is under motor and rough sea the boom tends to swing from side to side so a preventer robe is needed as you might have an accident from the boom hitting someone, part from that great
Niels
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2019 at 22:57
Forgot to mention the size depend on the boat size and the size of the rod kicker mine was a size 20 the biggest selden has
Niels
Gale Force View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 05:42
I have been in touch with Selden about supplying a Gas Strut for my 575 and have been told that Selden supply the Rod Kicker fitted with the gas strut as standard.Does anyone have any knowledge of this.I will be on my boat next week and will have to check but soar I have been adjusting the kicker and the topping lift and am not aware if I have a gas strut or not.

Duncan
415 Singapore View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 415 Singapore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 06:08
Hi Duncan
You should be able to tell quite easily as the kicker will effectively be holding the boom down. Release the tension in the kicker and the sheet and the boom should rise. On our 415 the gas strut came with the rod kicker but separately and the yard doing the fit out didn’t realise what is was so didn’t install the gas strut. Worth checking?
All the best
Paul
Paul - Night Train - 415 #136
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 06:29
Hi Paul
Very interesting, thanks for sharing your experience with me.

Duncan
Yeoman View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yeoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 06:46
Hi Duncan

I can confirm that the gas vang is standard on the 575 and indeed all current and most past models so it should be there.

It is not impossible that it has lost its power but you would notice this happen.

Kind regards

Phil
Inspiration Marine Group LTD - UK Importer for Hanse Yachts. Helping owner’s to get the best from their boats.
Niels View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Niels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 07:16
You are right Phil, however if the 2.5 kn is used as standard it is not strong enough to lift the boom barely holding it in position, after gaining more experience with the outfit I replaced the gas cylinder with a 5 kn what a difference to the setting of the sail to the various wind conditions
Niels
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gale Force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2019 at 07:17
Hi Phil

Thanks for the info

Duncan
 Post Reply Post Reply