myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolingbox/fridge no insulation...?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coolingbox/fridge no insulation...?
    Posted: 10 February 2019 at 18:15
Hi all,

Our coolingbox (or fridge) originally mounted by Hanse has no insulation. Just the glassed box... I could not believe it but it’s true.

Who knows if his or her coolingbox/fridge is insulated or not?

Now I am thinking of glueing something instead of using PUR foam does anyone has got an idea what the posibillities are?

Thanks for your advice.

Frank

Edited by Koppiekrou - 12 February 2019 at 06:02
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2019 at 21:50
Hi Frank
I have mentioned this a few times to other myhansers.................................
Before asking your questions in the forum, use the search function, because maybe your question already has been answered just a month ago, and in the case of refrigerator insulation or the lack thereof, there are dozens of post from the last 13 years.

1) Search
2) Advanced Search
3) Find Posts ------change from 6 months to any date
4) Write your subject:  Refrigerator.....fridge.......coolingbox......Isotherm......Danfoss...whatever.
5) Mark "Search Forum" as "All Forums" (added 11/02)

Just from the last year there are numerous posts regarding extra insulation of the fridge.

The last couple of years, I myself have written a few post regarding the poor cooling effect, the change of cooling liquid, the problem of having to dismantle half the galley to get to the compressor, the problem of voltage drop at the fridge, and a few other things.

By searching Captain Cooks posts, you  can find a few about the Isotherm unit, but there are a lot more in the search-library, even a technical drawing of the beast.

Sailors Salute
Kjeld
(Cook the Captain)

UPDATE: I just checked the search function, and I can see that without me noticing it, there is a limit of 10 pages/100posts to any subject/Members posts, so even if I have made 137 very intelligent remarks, you will only be able to see the last 100 of them. What a shame.
(There are still a lot of posts regarding fridge insulation by other members though).

Edited by Captain Cook - 11 February 2019 at 11:16
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
Koppiekrou View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 06:11
Hi Cook,

The trick was not to search only in 371 past 6 months EmbarrassedEmbarrassed 

Frank

Edited by Koppiekrou - 11 February 2019 at 06:13
291 4Ever - 341 Eternal Flame and now a Hanse 371 '05 Karma - Shoal draft - 2 cabin - 40hp - Variprofile
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2019 at 20:37
PM Johan Hackman. He has posted some interesting info on insulating his fridge
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2019 at 06:04
Dear Samuel,

I looked into Johan many posts. Indeed some interesting info about insulating an coolbox. Thank you for the tip.

Frank
Martin&Rene View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin&Rene Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2019 at 14:49
You also need to ensure the compressor cooling is as good as it can be.  You can lag the coolant pipes to and from the fridge.  Also, check that there is enough ventilation around the compressor heat exchanger.  This is how I improved the situation on my yacht, though I have since changed the fan direction so that it pulls cool air from the bilges and then exhausts it into the saloon.

Martin&Rene Hanse 341 Dipper Wheel steering, 3 cabin layout, normally based in Scotland
Pride of Waterford View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pride of Waterford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 15:47
Hi there,
I used to have a 371 before getting the 370.
I thought the same as you that it has no insulation.
However, the fridge is double walled and has insulation between the fibreglass walls.Its not great insulation but it is there.
I drilled large holes behind the saloon berth and got access underneath the fridge and put lots of expanding foam in and improved the insulation.

Brod Port Lairge
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Koppiekrou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2019 at 20:05
Well thats some good news. Clearly I did not expect this. I’ve allready glued some extra insulation (blue panel) so it should be oké this season.
 Post Reply Post Reply