myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speed's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ian Robinson View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed's
    Posted: 02 June 2007 at 10:48
Hi Andreas,

I purchased the sail from a local sailmaker, Gowen Ocean Sails, which has a reputation for making fast good quality sails. They make sails for all new Oyster yachts for example. I paid £1281 + £224 VAT (tax).  

Sail area on the quote is 27m2, which is a little smaller than Hanse's quoted 28.60m2.  Quite what the actal area of the new sail is I do not know. Gowen's had my old headsail as a pattern and they measured Ostara before manufacture.  The new sail looks right.  It performs better than the old. So I am happy.

I did also talk with North Sails in the UK they quoted £1922 + VAT for a tri-radial using a cloth called Soft Norlam. 

Regards

Ian

Ostara a 370#88
Andis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 June 2007 at 13:35
Hi Ian.

Of course it was the head sail, i'll use my best spectacles next time. Thanks for the additional information.
Can you give me a clue of how much you had to pay for the new sail in UK? Is it the exact same size as the standard jib?

Andreas.
S/Y Anne-Ma, Hanse 370 2007
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 14:11

Hi Andreas,

It was my headsail that I replaced.  There were a number of reasons I decided to change the North sail over the winter.  Ostara was commissioned in June last year.  Within only a few outings the reinforcing around the clew started to peel away.  The leach fell away and flapped as soon as the course became a reach.  The leach line adjustment proved very difficult to adjust underway and one had to accept that it was going to motor in breezy conditions, which is irritating and not good for the sail.  I think it essential to have a padded luff with the Facnor furler as it does not put in a twist to flatten a part furled sail as does a Furlex system. I did not think that the boat was pointing as it should.  Finally, at the end of the season I was tacking against a friend's Etap 34 in two reef conditions and he was holding me on pointing and only a little slower.  A month back I had the opportunity to sail the same course against the same boat with my new headsail in 1 reef conditions with a totally different result.  Ostara just shot away being faster and made less leeway.

The standard North sail is a budget sail that just does not do justice to the 370.

Regards

Ian

Ian
Ostara a 370#88
Andis View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:54
Hi Ian.

Your speed achieved seems impressive to me.Tongue Really looking forward to collect my new 370 in late August (hopefully).
You claim you found the standard mainsail inadequate; any details on this?? I'll also consider the kiwiprop.

Andreas.
S/Y Anne-Ma, Hanse 370 2007
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Robinson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2007 at 12:11
Hi All,

As a contribution to the speed debate I sailed my 370, Ostara,  from Calais to Ramsgate last Saturday.  Wind was from the north east at 14 to 16 knots.  Waves in the Channel were about a metre after a night of F5 to F6.  Distance over the ground was 30 nm and due to more adverse tide than fair we sailed 32nm.  Time from pierhead to pierhead was 4 hours.  We averaged 8 knots with 1 reef in.  Max speed recorded was 10.9 knots.  Leg 1 (Calais to E Goodwin LV) was a reach.  Leg 2 (north up the eastern flank of the Goodwin sands) was a beat.  Leg 3 (west along the big ship channel into Ramsgate) was a run and being in cruising mode we rolled up the headsail on the final leg.  

The boat was fully loaded for a long weekend cruise.  I do have a Kiwi prop which I think is brilliant.  I have also replaced the North headsail as I felt it was inadequate and replaced it with a tri-radial in Dimension Polyant which is a high tech cruising cloth.  This new sail has made a marked difference to performance. 

Regards

IanSmile

Ostara a 370#88
hawkeye View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2007 at 09:17
Hi Landlocked,
I have a 370e We drilled the toerail in line with the trailing edge of the outboard ends of the self-tacker track upstand, and shackled on blocks in this position. Each line leads from the clew (I tie it on with a bowline), outside the rail, thru this block and back to the winches on the cockpit coaming via the overlapping genoa turning blocks. There is a fair load on this tweaker in any sort of breeze and a winch is essential for trimming. This is fine for us as we normally use the cabin-top winches for the main and self-tacker sheets. The tweaker needs to be strong as it effectively becomes the sheet as you run on broader angles. I suggest you ask on the 400 post to get the exact fore and aft position people have found effective for the larger boat.
Hope this helps,
John
landlocked View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote landlocked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 18:08
Hawkeye:  I would like to try a tweaker on the self-tacking jib on our 400.  Can you (or enyone else out there) provide some details on your solution?  How did you attach to the toerail?  What part of the sheet did you attach to?  Or did you connect directly to the clew?  How do you cleat it off?

Thanks.
hawkeye View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2007 at 12:47
Hi Tim,
The speeds on the wind are in flat to slight seas. The reaching speeds were in conditions with a chop 0.5 to maybe 1m, but  on the beam or rear quarter. I went for the bigger engine as we tend to have a bit more wind and stronger tides here compared to many parts of  the world and I did not want to find out too late that I was a bit under powered. I also wanted to be able to maintain a high average speed when motoring in light conditions.
 I work on the 40hp motor using about 3-3.5 litres per hour. As others have pointed out, the fuel gauge is  only marginally useful, but I think this is a reasonable estimate.
While we were away at Easter, I did some checking in flat water, no wind, no tide, but with a fully loaded cruising configuration, 4 people on board AND towing a 2.4m RIB. We achieved the following:
1500rpm   4.6kn
2000rpm    6.0kn
2400rpm    7.0kn
2800rpm    7.6kn
3080rpm    8.05kn
3080rpm    8.3kn (light ship, no dinghy)
We have the standard Hanse 2-blade folding prop, but the agent here has it re-pitched to achieve best performance.
The light ship speed was achieved during the Yanmar warranty check prior to handover (I have the certificate) and was the average of a two way run using the chartplotter. There was no tide and only a slight wind. The 3080rpm is the max we pull under load, and Yanmar are happy with this. My boat was launched with another 370e and a 400e and we all achieved much the same motoring performance- all with 40hp motors.
We normally cruise at about 2600rpm as diesels should be kept at optimum operating temperatures to avoid coking up, especially in the vicinity of the water injection on the exhaust. This gives us a cruising speed of around 7.3-7.4kn. At Easter, we had almost no wind and did a 30nm motor in 4hrs and 5 minutes into a slight chop.
I am very happy with the larger motor. We use so little fuel that running costs hardly need to be considered, but have the reassurance of plenty of power if we ever need it in an emergency.
Hope this helps,
John (Hawkeye)

Ever Hopefull View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ever Hopefull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2007 at 00:27
Hi John,

I'm green with envy! The speed you are getting and the ease of handling are exactly the traits I'm looking for. Was this done on flat water? How happy are you with the bigger engine? I've been caught before with too small an engine, but when I look at the Yanmar fuel consumption specs it looks like the 40hp is a much thirstier motor than the standard 30hp so I'd like to hear how you get on with yours as you get to use it more.

cheers,
Tim
Sailing in Paradise
Tim
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 14:40
Clearly I need to push my sailing a bit harder ....  I too have been rigging a line to trim the foresail in downwind.  It also lets you hove-to.
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>