myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speed's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnynunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speed's
    Posted: 02 April 2007 at 02:26
I i'm from Azores islands (atlantic ocean) from Portugal and i am looking to buy a Hanse 370. I have a Wauquiez Pretorian 35, but i'm thinking in buying the Hanse. I would like to know about speed's of the Hanse, like with upwind and downwind, and diferent wind velocities from your personal experience.
Sorry for the bad english...

Best regards.

Joćo Nunes
Fun & Function View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fun & Function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2007 at 21:32
Hi Joćo,

I haven't got any personal experience yet since I'm still waiting for my 370e to arrive, but a polar diagram will give you a good indication of boat speeds. You can find one for Hanse 370 in a thread on the 342 discussion here:

Steinar

Hanse 370e #348

Oslo, Norway
Johnnynunes View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnynunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2007 at 23:48
Originally posted by Fun & Function Fun & Function wrote:

Hi Joćo,

I haven't got any personal experience yet since I'm still waiting for my 370e to arrive, but a polar diagram will give you a good indication of boat speeds. You can find one for Hanse 370 in a thread on the 342 discussion here:

Many tanks i have studied it, it look's like it wold be a boat that slides with almost no wind...
Could the owners please tell me speed's that you've reached?

Regards

Joćo Nunes
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnynunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2007 at 22:14
Please just give me an idea...
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 08:17
Johnny,

Sorry nobody got back on this.  There was some discussion on the 370 site about this polar.  Generally people thought it looks odd.  What is meant by a "105%" genoa?  Is that the standard jib?  Why is the boat faster with a smaller genoa?  I also heard that spinnakers were used for it - but not sure about that.

Has anyone done a more typical polar?  One using just the standard sails, for example. 

I could do one, but I'm a cruising sailor and may not always use optimum speed trim (when comfort and ease for long distance is more important).  One speed I can recall from last week was about 6kts with a 9kt wind on about 100 degrees true.  I rarely get above 7.5kts in any direction or wind speed - but then I do reef very early - my family prefers that.

Edited by colincooper - 11 April 2007 at 08:32
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnynunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2007 at 18:19
Thank's for the numbers Colin, that's the idea that I wanted to have. If anyone has more numbers post them please.

Best  regards
hawkeye View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 07:08
Hi Jonny,
Have had my 370e for 2 months and done about 500 miles. It is fully configured for cruising with all the gear, full tanks and a 40hp engine, so it is not a lightweight. We have the standard factory sails, but with stiffer battens.  Upwind we get about 5.5kn in 7.5kn true, 6.6kn in  10kn true and 7.3kn in 15kn true.  Reaching, it is easy to have the boat constantly between 6 and 8 kn in 12kn apparent and our best speed so far is 9.8kn in 17kn apparent. We find that we can sail the boat efficiently as low as 160 degrees apparent wind by using tweaker lines running off the toerail in order to sheet the headsail more efficiently. These also work going wing and wing (without needing a pole), but I try to avoid flat off sailing as it is the slowest point.
The main thing is that this performance is effortless - two fingers on the helm, high average speeds and no hint of rounding up. The boat is also very stiff. We have carried full sail upwind in 25kn apparent without any drama. On this day, we put in a reef for the first (and only so far) time and the boat settled down to about 7.1/7.2 kn upwind.
The most surprising thing is that even with the self tacker, we can usually sail away from similar sized production cruising boats with full size genoas in 6-7kn of true breeze. I was not expecting that. However, for racing, you would need an overlapping headsail to be competitive in light conditions.
I came from a masthead rig and have had to learn to trim the Hanse differently to what I was used to. It does not like being oversheeted, so by 10kn we have the traveller right down and control sail shape with the vang and backstay. You also achieve better VMG by sailing a fraction lower and going much faster. This is no disadvantage as you make it up though the effortless, rapid tacking ability.
Biggest problem so far - having to sort out arguments about who gets the next go on the helm!!
Hope this helps,
John
Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 10:48
John, its a pleasure to read your words and so our anticipation is growing and growing...

Its good to hear that it was a good decision to order the 370.

Good sailing in NZ

BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnnynunes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 14:29
Howkeye.

Many thank's for the answer, you have just explained everything that I wanted to know. The boat that I wold like to buy is a new one that the dealer in Portugal equiped for regata, and it will be sold at the end of the summer. In sail's they have invested in 3dl genoas and main sail, the genoas will be 140%. They made a few other changes that I don't remember.
I love sailing with my dad, but we also love racing a little bit, that's why I did these question's. I don't know if it is against forum rules to put sites but here is the link to my site, a site dedicated to sailing in these water's. There is many fotos, videos and other thing's. Enjoy.

www.sailinghorta.page.tl
(you have to copy, paste in browser...)

If anyone has more personal experiences on speed please post here.

Many thank's again

Joćo Nunes

Edited by Johnnynunes - 13 April 2007 at 14:31
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2007 at 14:40
Clearly I need to push my sailing a bit harder ....  I too have been rigging a line to trim the foresail in downwind.  It also lets you hove-to.
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>