myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifications to the swim ladder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote h315idra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 11:43

I read now the thread and I can relate about my own experience.I preface that I have no-fixed ladder on my 315.

My previous boat was a 1979 sloop of 25'; in June 2001 I was in Elba Island, about 12 miles far from my harbour. There was a long wave from W (we call "old sea"), probably caused by a big depression over Cap Corse., and light wind from S. When the Southern wind stopped I immediatly set the anchor...but too late.
In the middle of Elba Channel I had 56ktn wind from W  over "old sea"  and the breaking waves that reached 5/6 meters. One of these capzise the boat at 180°; Elena embraced the winch and I went overboard without lifeline , attched at my (very) extended tiller. I climbed onboard because I had a fixed ladder, and we reached the harbour.
Now , also if I have the wheel, that tiller is my "talisman" and when the it's rough sea, I install the ladder...
Alessandro Camerini

315#526

Marina di Salivoli, Piombino ITALY
9muses View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9muses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 15:32
Thread ressurect.
Hi, I would like to ask Johan, how far from waterline is "the safety ladder", and does it drag thru water on sbd tack. I'm thinking to do the same on my boat.
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 15:45
I strongly recommend you to do the same!

The ladder is at a distance of approximately 10 cm from the waterline and when the boat heels to starboard it dips in the water. I don´t see this as a disadvantage and I am sure no one ever will be able to measure any speed loss because of it, if that´s what you were thinking.

On one of my recent birthdays, that happens to be Christmas Day, we were anchored for the night and were about to get into the dinghy to take the dog ashore for a walk and one of the ladies slipped and went into the water. The safety ladder made her trip back onto the boat easy and quick. So I guess you could say that I have first hand experience that the ladder works the way I intend it to.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 04 February 2019 at 15:46
9muses View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9muses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 16:00
Thank you very much for swift reply, my fear is not about boat speed but stress on hull if dragging thru water (stress cracks). Totally agree with you about safety, god knows how many times I have thought about it. if I fell, how will I climb up? And honestly, it is small boat to have ladder in lazarette...
samuel View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 16:57
On seeing this post come up on my email notifications, I had a look to see what I had written & I was surprised when I saw that I had said I was 62 years old !!!. I am 72 in 9 days time !!!!
Some threads go on & on!!!
But reading it, has made me wonder if I should get the ladder out of the shed & see if it can be offset to miss my Aeries. I already sail with a line each side suspended just above the water line to give me something to grab on to.
If one simply falls in whilst in the marina it is impossible to reach the deck, so with a bit of tide one could be swept away from the boat quite quickly. Someone in the water will have a feeling of total helplessness even if there is a crew on board to get them out. Having something to hold on to & work one's way aft is a start. I have lines looped across the stern around the Aeries as steps, but at 72  I am beginning if I should re address the ladder solution again

Edited by samuel - 04 February 2019 at 17:00
Daydream Believer- Hanse 311- No GBR9917T- Bradwell Essex
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 20:00
Originally posted by 9muses 9muses wrote:

...my fear is not about boat speed but stress on hull if dragging thru water (stress cracks).

I don´t think you will have to worry about that.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2019 at 20:05
Originally posted by samuel samuel wrote:

...but at 72  I am beginning if I should re address the ladder solution again

I think you should, Samuel.

I am now eleven years older than when I started this thread so not only was I wise then, I am even wiser now - which makes me confident when I give advice to a 72 year old fellow sailor.

Johan
S/V Rocinante View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S/V Rocinante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2019 at 14:36
Thank you for the post & the idea Johan; I can’t tell you how many times my inflatable dinghy has knocked my ladder off.  Lets just say that after the first time, I tied it ti the railing with a line so I would not have to spend a day diving around my anchorage trying to find and retrieve it! 

Quick question; do you sail with the ladder’s folding section down or do you have some sort of a line attached to deploy if/when needed?

Carlos & Maria
S/V Rocinante - 2007 Hanse 400e #127
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2019 at 17:24
Originally posted by S/V Rocinante S/V Rocinante wrote:

Quick question; do you sail with the ladder’s folding section down or do you have some sort of a line attached to deploy if/when needed?

I never sail with it down. The good thing about the ladder is that you easily reach it from the water. And as I said before, everytime you use it for swimming you practice a man-over-board situation.

I might have told this story before but I celebrated my 50th birthday aboard and after a nice sail we anchored up for the night. My birthday is December 25th so you can imagine the water temperature in Stockholm. After dinner we were going ashore and one of the guests missed the dinghy and fell into the water and came up with her hair wet. (In other words, she fell into the water big time.) Now, was this a scary moment considering the time of year? Not at all, she just grabbed the swimming ladder and got aboard, changed her clothes and off we were in the dinghy going ashore, still with wet hair.

What I am saying is that if you are used to get up via the ladder in controlled situations you may not panic when something unexpectedly like this happens.

Johan
S/V Rocinante View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S/V Rocinante Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2019 at 18:46
Originally posted by Johan Hackman Johan Hackman wrote:

I never sail with it down...

Johan

Thank you!
Carlos & Maria
S/V Rocinante - 2007 Hanse 400e #127
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123