myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simrad IS20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oyvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 18:15
IS20 is an instrument system possible to integrate with the autopilots AP24 or AP28  (shared setup on same physical network). The wind steering with speed sensitive tack and gybe is part of the AP24/AP28 autopilot. This autopilot also offers features such as steering on wind and navigation data on the same time (doing VMG optimisation or layline steering).

The best wind filtering is acheived by using both wind measurement and a rate compass (RC42) which also is needed for the autopilot. A less expensive compass, FC40 (no rate sensor), is available. I would recommend the rate compass though. This gives you the best autopilot steering and wind measurement performance.

If you already have an IS12 Masthead, and TP32, IS20 can be mounted on the same physical network and the heading measurement from TP32 will be used in the multi input wind filtering on IS20.

The big difference between TP32 and AP24/AP28 is the speed and reliablility of the rudder drive. TP32 has a slower rudder drive, it's less powerful and it uses only a flux compass (no rate measurement). The steering algorithms are also quite simple, so AP24 will steer in sea conditions where the TP32 has to give up.
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2007 at 20:24
Sounds quite interesting indeed. It makes me wonder, however, what the calibration process will be for all this. From what I can tell, very few people (dealers in particular) go through a proper calibration process of the old system (IS-12) never mind something even more detailed....

Steve
Oyvind View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oyvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2007 at 22:20
Hi Ole.

Simrad was a brand for instruments with different network solutions (RobNet, Roblink, SimNet, NMEA-0183).

IS20 and AP24/AP28 are now all SimNet instruments. They have the same connectors as IS12 and can be interfaced directly to Nmea2k smart sensors (for instance Maretron and Airmar have SimNet connectors). RobNet and Roblink are now history.

If you already have IS15, then you need an AT15 adaptor to continue building a SimNet network.

IS20 has more features than IS15 and IS12 (advanced wind filtering, trending, motorway display, red/white backlight, user configurable data pages, easier setup, engine data, battery data, power save, remote operations, ...). Hopefully you will like these new features.

Regards
Øyvind

Edited by Oyvind - 13 November 2007 at 22:22
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2007 at 23:18
Øyvind,

There have been some past issues with instruments that have been hard to read in direct sunlight and when moisture builds up inside. Have these issues been something you have been working on?

Will there be a specific interface with, for instance, a computer on the new series?

As for the autopilots you mention, can you confirm that the average power consumption for the drive units will be between 1 and 4 Amps, i.e. considerably more than the 0.5 Amps the TP32 requires?

Johan Hackman

Oyvind View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oyvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2007 at 12:34
Hi guys.

I actually have to correct myself: You don't need AT15 if you already have IS15. IS20 Graphic and Analogs has NMEA-0183 input and IS15 have NMEA-0183 output. You just need a cable with IS15 connectors and connect IS15 and IS20 with this directly. IS12 and IS20 have the same connectors so you only need the correct cables to connect IS12, IS20 and IS15, no need for adaptors.

Moisture: The mechanics and production methods are new on IS20. Experience from instrument and autopilot production for many years has been used for improving these matters.

Interface: There is no instrument "black-box" in the system only Nmea2k compatible smart sensors provided by any sensor supplier (see http://www.nmea.org/about/news.cgi?article_id=177 ). Airmar and Maretron also supply SimNet connectors.

Power consumption: The power consumption depends on type of drive you choose, the load on the drive, the sea condition and the response settings you use for the autopilot. Dockside testing on a X-52 gives power consumption on 8 amps maximum, dufour 34 with Jefa drive is 3-4 amps maximum. The new rudder drive/turning algorithms on the new SimNet autopilots (AP14/AP28) requires less power than the old RobNet autopilots (AP25/AP16). You also have the possibility to adjust settings for rudder deaband, max motor output and seastate filtering for minimising the power consumption without loosing too much performance for the on the autopilot.

I was sailing cross the North Sea this summer with the wind/navigation steering mode active all the way and the power consumption was not a big issue (270 nm and only engine generator for charging the batteries).

Regards
Øyvind
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2007 at 10:30
Øyvind,

I am trying to understand what you are saying about, for instance, "rate stabilised wind filtering". Is that built into the system or is it a feature of the wind transducer? I don't understand the difference between IS15, IS12 and IS20 transducers other than that the latter two are NMEA2000. Will a IS12 wind transducer benefit from the new filtering?

I also would like to learn more about the compass transducers you mention, but fail to find anything at Simrad's website. Is there any information available in terms of a broschure?

In my case I am talking about a total upgrade from IS15 to IS20 - Graphic, Wind and Compass. This upgrade was planned to be made last spring but it seems IS20 has been heavily delayed. I think the transducers haven't been marketed yet either, have they?

Johan

Oyvind View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oyvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 23:18
Hi Johan.

You can compare the new wind filter in IS20 with the WTP technology B&G have:

You use rate sensors to stabilise the wind measurement. WTP has 3 rate sensors while RC42 has 1.

IS12 doesn't benefit from the new wind filter because the filtering is done locally in IS20 Graphic, IS20 Wind or IS20 Tack. IS12 Masthead will be renamed to IS20 Masthead, but it's only providing wind measurement data (no filtering is done in the sensor).

The transducers are not made by Simrad, but by Airmar. You can choose sensors from any depth/speed/temp transducer manufacturer though as long as the transducer is a socalled "smart sensor" and it's Nmea2k compatible. We are mainly cooperating with Airmar.

The IS20 and AP24/AP28 products is a major change in technology platform and manufacturing procedures, so it's true we had a delay in the project. The production, marketing and training in the sales organization is starting these days.

If you already have IS15 in your boat, you still can use this. Connect NMEA-0183 output from IS15 to NMEA-0183 input on IS20 and you will have all the sensor data available on SimNet. IS15 is a good sensor system (also wind), you don't have to change this. Just upgrade the instruments.

Regards
Øyvind
Aguamenti View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguamenti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 18:17

Is it possible to connect a Garmin GPS Plotter with NMEA2000 to a IS20 Wind instrument with the “Simrad SimNet Product to NMEA 2000® Network Adapter Cable” and getting the wind data to the Plotter?

Oyvind View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oyvind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 20:50
Hi.

Some Garmin plotters have Nmea2k, but they might not use wind data (perhaps only engine data). This should be written in the manual for the plotter.

The wind data must come from a Nmea2k or SimNet wind sensor (such as IS20 Masthead). This can be read by any Nmea2k device, also IS20 Wind. IS20 Wind and IS20 Masthead can be connected directly to a Nmea2k network with a SimNet to Nmea2k cable/connector.

Regards
Øyvind
Aguamenti View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aguamenti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 23:24

Hmm guess I have to get a NMEA 2000®/NMEA 0183 Adapter (AT-10) and the Simrad Product to NMEA 2000 Network Adapter Cable to get the oldie interface NMEA 0183 to get the wind data for my Garmin since it only supports NMEA 0183 wind data.Ouch

Edited by Aguamenti - 27 November 2007 at 21:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>