myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 350
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nav Station Layouts

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Br00tus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nav Station Layouts
    Posted: 01 January 2008 at 20:14
Happy New Year Everyone ...

As some of you guys are now starting to take ownership of your 350s, can you please post some descriptions and / or pictures of your 'Nav Station' layouts.

Where does your VHF / SSB, Satphone, NavTex, Plotters, Laptops, GPS, AIS, Radar and any other instrumentation live?

For example:
Can you use the VHF from the companionway looking out?
Fiddles on the 'Chart Table' or not?
GPS coordinates / NMEA data easily visible for log entries?

I will be trying to achieve a more permanent station with everything to hand, I do not really like having to open cupboards and doors to see instrumentation or access the VHF etc... as I expect to be single / short handed most of the time.

I am thinking about mounting stuff on the bulkhead (facing astern) so I can access it while sat at the 'chart table' saving the cupboard space for books, almanacs etc...

I expect to see my new baby (Doris #44) in the next 2 weeks and need to think about my layout - Therefore any inspiration would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

“Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”
Br00tus View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Br00tus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 14:32

I am looking forward to having more 350s in the water as this forum is all but dead... Is nobody else out there having sleepless nights and spending far too many hours researching on the Internet before taking receipt?

Maybe its just me as this is my first (and hopefully last) boat ... not to mention every penny I own(ed)!

coriolis2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coriolis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2008 at 22:01
Happy newyear to you too from 350 #45 "Coriolis" Will do lot of shorthanded sailing, so decided to install VHF (Standard Horizon CX1500) in bulkhead above charttable with remote on the steering column. The IS20 Depth/log and windset will be on Port as mounted by Hanse on the starboard side I will mount the CP300 Standard Horizon plotter, interconnected with the IS20's and VHF. VHF will display position on it's display inside, Plotter can take over wind/depth data, IS20, the grapfic one, can display GPS data. With this configuration I can do all nav. work from the steering wheel sitting port or starboard. I don't like plotters and so on above the compass (manuals advice a destiance of 600mm between compass and plotter!) as more than 80% of the time I will be sitting on either side.
Have no pictures yet, expect to have the stuff mounted with another 2-3 weeks. Boat is till at the dealer, planning 1st sail 2nd half of March.

Regards!
"Coriolis" H350 #045 (ex Waarschip 570 #? 1987/1992, ex Waarschip 28LD #7 1994/2007)
Br00tus View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Br00tus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2008 at 22:18

Thanks for the reply and certainly some food for thought! ...

I have both Raster and Garmin Vector charts for the entire planet and have therefore decided to use a LapTop for navigation and route planning. However, this obviously means going below to check position while underway. Ordinarily not a problem except that like you, I will be mostly short / single handed most of the time (and over large distances).

At this stage I have requested that Hanse (factory) do not mount the IS20s until I decide on my layout as I really do not want holes in the cockpit if i decide on binnacle or companionway mounted instruments.   

I like the idea of using an IS20 graphic to repeat GPS data - although I need to find out the display capabilities of the autopilot - where is your autopilot mounted?

Thanks for the info - any pics would also be welcomed. - Whats everyone else doing?

bjoris View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bjoris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 06:41
Br00tus your not alone waiting for your new 350Wink We`r also waiting, going to Greifswald 23 th of April and will sail it back to the west of Norway, about 550 nautical miles, a long journey for us!

I`ll get back to you about my plans for some of the things your asking for (I am not having all that!)... But now I need to go to workSmile
coriolis2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coriolis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2008 at 19:14

W.r.t. Vector & Raster, I used to work with laptops and vector (Tsunamis) and Seaclear but decided to quit navigating with laptops due to power consumption (up to 4 Amps) and failure modes. On our previous boat (Waarschip 28LD) we could see the laptop screen at the charttable from the helm.

Very nice but not tough enough for sea environment. For routing I will have an RS232 connection from the Plotter to the 'chart' table for an optional laptop. Forgot to mention that I also will install an EasyAIS which connect to the Standard Horizon CP300 plotter displaying the heavy vessels. Have very good experience with the NASA AIS Radar during 8 weeks Baltic in 2005. Low power consumtion and very reliable data. I do not believe in a standard radar as it is seldom used and you realy need to use it frequently to get the right info among all sea and rain clutter. Still a shame though that the fishing vessles are not obliged to use AIS (these are the dangerous ones as I know from 1 year exp. on a trawler). Will have to separate VHF attenas for AIS and radio which is cheaper than a splitter.
W.r.t. to the autopilot I don't have one (yet). Smart thing to prevent Hanse from drilling holes for the IS20's a they are not consistant with the locations. By the way; for the time beeing they installed IS12's as the IS20's are not available, Simrad will change them out to IS20's when available.

Regards, Rob
"Coriolis" H350 #045 (ex Waarschip 570 #? 1987/1992, ex Waarschip 28LD #7 1994/2007)
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2008 at 21:14
From the route on the Dell laptop/plotter it looks like you've run aground LOL
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
coriolis2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coriolis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2008 at 17:24
Keen observation Colin! We were at the Nord-Ostsee Kanaal on our way to Kiel, just scanned an old car map to have a clue where we were as it is not fully covered on the charts. It's also a setimental picture of our old boat with a REAL chart table, I'll miss it on our new H350....
I'm awaiting the installation of our nav equip on the 350 so I can add some pictures to this subject.

Regards
Captain Ross View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Ross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 14:09
Coriolis, just an information.
I saw that you are using AIS radar of NASA Marine.Do you use a dedicate VHF antenna, or are you using the same antenna for VHF and AIS Sradar, named splitter or something similar? And in this case where did you buy this? In Italy it's very difficult to get this splitter.
Thanks a lot
coriolis2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coriolis2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2008 at 19:15
Captain Ross, this was picture of my old boat and indeed I used a seperate VHF antenna for the AIS, I'd tried to use a VHF/AM splitter (only E 55 at www.compass24.com) but (offcourse) that didn't work. After mounting the 2nd VHF for the AIS reveiver, I'd use the splitter for AM radio and VHF on the original antenna.
There is a sollution without a 2nd antenna, you can use a EASYSplit (E 150) (see http://www.easyais.de/en_index.php). However for our new 350 I've choosen to install a 2nd antenna, which is cheaper and adds some redundancy. the 1st will be directly linked to an EASY-AIS receiver, the 2nd to a VHF/AM splitter from VTronic/Shakespeare) as on our former boat. 
I'm not using the NASA AIS RADAR anymore as I will now display the AIS data on a StandardHorizon CP300 plotter.

Regards, Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>