myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Offshore sailing?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote graybjones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Offshore sailing?
    Posted: 14 November 2004 at 22:49

Is the 342 suitable for taking offshore voyages?

I am specifically interested in trips between Norfolk, USA and Bermuda or the Virgin Islands.  Has anyone made such a trip in one of the smaller Hanse models?

thanks,

--gray

Martijn View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martijn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2004 at 17:18

Hi,

The 341/342 is very strong build.

We sail with a 341.

I am not sailing in your neighbourhood but the northsea by Holland is also a very rough sea. And that gives absolutely no troubles.

greetings,

Martijn "NO FEAR"

Eternal Flame View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eternal Flame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2004 at 08:26

Finally some good news. Indeed Hanses are so good build that they sail everywere. I know that there is a "old" 292 sailing from Germany to Usuha.... then you really need a strong build ship.

Instead of some other brands you don't hear a noise when beating the sea. Yes you will hear the wind blowing but down it will be homefeeling! Also when sailing upwind the ship will remain rather dry and gives a safe feeling. So no worries!

Frank - Eternal Flame

Happy Sailing you all!
r schupak View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r schupak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 01:51

Gray B     Your post really caught me---I bought my 341 with the intent of offshore sailing and the hope that we could do extended voyaging offshore to the Carribean, Bahamas & Bermuda & even possibly to the Panama ditch. We took delivery in March & I have gradually been getting her out fitted for long distance cruising. Our family of 4 (2 adults,a 6yo son & a 15yo son) took a 3 week cruise off the New England Coast, going offshore to Block Island & the coast Of Rhode Island. She was very capable of handling these coastal waters, & as long as we reefed early she was handling gusts of 30+ knots & 4-6 foot seas( In Long Island Sound read that as a short but steep chop).In the short Atlantic excursions we did, she handled 6-8 foot swells without any difficulty. We had enough room for storage but you have to be a little selective about what you bring along, although I'm still finding plenty of unused storage space.

I would highly recommend the 341/342 for offshore sailing. Please let me know through the forum if you want to contact me. Home port is Mamaroneck, NY

Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 09:32
I'm shure the hanses are build very strong, so it should be no problem to go offshore. I sailed mine 341 over a rough baltic sea and over a calm northsea. In the bad short baltic sea waves i never had any fear that the boat would come in trouble (in contrast to the owner himself :-)).

In the last edition of the german sailing magazine YACHT there was an article of a family of two adults and a 3 years old boy, which sailed around the world. The boat was an ETAP 21 (21 feet long). And they survived. In comparison to old ships, like Christopher Columbus sailed, the modern boats are much more solid and due to the modern navigation systems its easy to find your destinations.
BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2004 at 22:00

The Hanse boats sail a dream in all seas - our 331 crossed the English Channel in a particually rough force 8 - a good 10 hours of hell.

We surfed through the Needles Channel with a mountain of huge waves following us.

Needless to say we were glad to get our feet on dry land, but it was a very quick crossing - however the boat handled wonderfully and we felt very safe.

Sue

Muscadet View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muscadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 16:58

Hi Sue

The Needles Channel in a force 8 - wow! I've been through in a Force 6 and it was getting pretty nasty then.

Did you intend to cross the channel in a full gale or were you caught out?

Regards

Alan

Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2004 at 22:19

Hi Alan

Yes we were caught out - it did happen to us a few years ago when we had a 26 foot Hunter Horizon, that year we actually had a knock down - not a nice experience, but we were OK a bit wet and shaken - but OK.

I don't think anyone would intend to cross the channel in those conditions, especially when there are only 2 of you on board.

We left Cherbourg in a 4-5, no problem. Unfortunately the wind got up about 20 miles into the passage.

There was no point in turning back toward Cherbourg as we would have been pounding into the wind and sea.

Must admit the pits and troughs of the waves were rather daunting, but I think what kept me sane was the thought of our bulb keel beneath us (we do think some strange things at times don't we)

We even had a ship in the shipping lanes change course - pretty decent of him.

My hubby thinks it is funny to start singing 'for those in peril on the sea'.....

On a serious note we had a hankerchief of a jib and 2 reefs in the main, at times the boom was actually in the water - but the boat handled beautifully.

As we came through the Needles channel we were literally surfing through clocking up 12 knots and hoping that we were not going to hit shallow patches.

To say that we were relieved to finally tie up in Lymington was an understatement.

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I think it does to show that the Hanse boats cetainly do perform well.

Sue

Post Reply Post Reply