myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > General > Chit Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Securing Floorboards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2008 at 10:34

Richard, I am racing offshore (category 3- not ocean) for 15 years. Floorboards, cabin and cabinet doors do not count as heavy items (although if they start to fly they are dangerous)  and we never had problems with them not being strapped down during boat inspections. In Greece they consider as heavy items the boat engine,the water and diesel tanks, the batteries, the life raft and the hot water boiler if there is one fitted. The floorboards in my previous boat were always loose and usually some of them open!! In heavy seas the First 41s5 was taking water through the keel bolts because of slight keel movement!!!Angry To keep the boat light we sent somebody down every about 30 Min's to pump the 20 to 50 liters of water out . The bilge pump had a long pipe attached Hanse style.

Impressive battery pack you have! But I wouldn't trust the belt to keep them in place. They seem to fit very tight in their place. If this is the case the belt just keeps them in place only during a complete inversion which sounds OK! (the battery holding, not the inversion). But if the batteries have place to move, then the belt is not enough and in time they will pull the screws out. In this case a metal bar IMHO is  the only solution, even if this will add some Kg.
Panos

Hanse 630e - selling her -
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 19:54

Richard,

Hanse didn't offer any solution for the floorboards. Their comment is simply that it is not needed. Next to Hanse is Rados. Next time (June 10) I will ask them.

Panos

silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 20:33
Richard, what did you replace your Varta batteries with?
Thanks.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
John Allison View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 20:45
We doubled up on the battery straps by adding screwed battens covering the lip on the bottom side of each battery.  Impossible to move.
The oven is IMHO possibly the most dangerous heavy item in the event of an inversion - and as yet we've not done anything to secure it better than the ineffective standard gimbals fitted.
JOHN
No longer a Hanse owner - but loved the one we had!
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 23:03

I think you are right. I didn't think of it because in my previous boat we had it replaced by an aluminium tabletop 2 burner cooker run with alcohol (the minimum allowed under the rules).

But now we will have a normal oven . Any ideas of securing it?
Also the hose will disconnect and ...Dead.Evil%20Smile

Edited by panos - 08 April 2008 at 23:06
Panos

Richard108 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 00:16
Originally posted by silversailor silversailor wrote:

Richard, what did you replace your Varta batteries with?
Thanks.

I replaced them with 6 volt Lifeline batteries part number 6PL-6CL.  These are very high batteries, so that in a similar space I ended up with a lot more capacity. 

http://www.lifelinebatteries.com/marineflyer.php?id=15

Regards Richard

("Moksha" 540 #115 delivered Sept 2007)

Pittwater, Sydney, Australia
Richard108 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 00:36
Hi Panos

Thanks for checking with the Hanse Factory about securing the floor boards.

Regards Richard

("Moksha" 540 #115 delivered Sept 2007)

Pittwater, Sydney, Australia
John Allison View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Allison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 04:55

Re securing stove.  Best / least obtrusive would be a 3 or 4 mm wire same length as rubber gas hose, fixed to wall adjacent to hose, and clipped to stove.  If inverted it maa yhang there, but not gas you to death!

JOHN
No longer a Hanse owner - but loved the one we had!
panos View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote panos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 18:27
Richard : I will visit Hanse at Greifswald in beginning of June again. Then I will try to find a solution. This time the Hanse people gave me the impression that whatever is not offered as an option is impossible. Next time I will be better prepared.

John: I think I will follow your ideaLamp, but a little bit different. I will check to see if I can install two short pieces of wirerope ,one each side next to the pivot points. I will prepare the ends of the cables professionally (pressed) and will screw one end on the oven and the other on the furniture. In case one or both of the pivots fail the oven will only fall a few centimeters. Thanks Big%20smile

Panos

silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 21:35
There seems to be 2 issues with the stove: (1) the stove itself, and (2) the gas line.  In the States we are trequired to install an additional solinoid between the electrical panel and the stove.  the gas line will not be open unless (a) turned on at the cannister, (b) turned on at the electrical panel and (c) the solinoid is turned on.  Usually the flame on the stove is extinguised by turning off the solinoid.  This eliminates all gas in the stove.  If you install a solinoid you don't have to worry about the gas line breaking loose.  One less concern.  
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>