myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse upgrades on Tangleberry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanse upgrades on Tangleberry
    Posted: 30 April 2008 at 02:07
Our Hanse 371 Tangleberry is now 5 years old, and we have learned the ins and outs, good and bad of the 371, and by extension, Hanses in general. She is now nearly perfect for our use, and we will sail to Alaska this summer.

Good:
Overall structure excellent.
Sailing capability and balance excellent.
Interior layout good.
Reliability has been good.

Bad:
Wiring not up to the best standards, and would not pass US AYBC rules. They did put in lots of extra wires which has made it easier to add equipment.
Shower drainage not the best, someone at Hanse needs to know that water generally flows downhill. Same with deck drainage. We put a grating in the shower which doesn't help the drainage but at least keeps your feet drier.
Anchor windlass has insufficient drop, the locker is really too shallow for an all chain rode. I just have to live with pushing the chain out of the way every 10-15 M when raising the anchor.
Factory spray hood was of mediocre quality and ugly.
Deck hardware, mainly blocks of inexpensive type. Nothing has broken, so I guess I can't complain too much.

We have done the following mods:
Replaced spray hood with a Tartarooga hard dodger. Expensive and worth it. We have back panels to enclose it to make a "wheelhouse".
Added two 75 watt solar panels on top of the hard dodger.
Added insulation to the fridge.
Changed house battery to two 6 volt AGM 220AH units in series.
Added AIS and new Garmin GPSMAP 545 this year.
Replaced running light bulbs with LEDs.

Interior enhancements.
Any production boat lacks individuality, and Tangleberry was no exception. We like the clean uncluttered Hanse style, but have done a few things to make the interior more practical and cosier.
Lighting:
All interior bulbs replaced with warm white LEDs to save power.  They are not quite as bright as the original halogens but use 1/10 the power.
I loved the kerosene trawler lamp we used to have in a boat long ago, but they are very expensive, and I don't want another fuel on board. Also, polished brass doesn't really suit our mahogany and chrome interior.

The solution? IKEA to the rescue. I installed an Ottava hanging lamp (aluminum), which is their version of a traditional fisherman's lamp. I also bought a bulkhead clock from them which has a thermometer and hygrometer in the dial. The lamp was made for mains power, but I have adapted it with a readily available 12 volt bulb. I have also ordered a 12V CCF bulb which will use less power, but it hasn't arrived yet.

When sailing in rough seas, and heeled over, things placed on the shelves above the berths and on top of the lockers tend to jump out, the fiddles are too low. I have solved this with 18 mm anodized aluminum tubing mounted about 20mm above the fiddles along the vee berth, using rubber door stops for end sockets.

IKEA again. I found a bathroom shelf called BAREN which is made of tempered glass and has nicely rounded corners. It is meant to be mounted horizontally, but I mounted it vertically just inside the existing fiddles on top of the lockers. It looks as if it belongs there, and since it is about 40 mm high it can keep quite a lot of "stuff" in place.

I made a "bum strap" for the galley to keep the cook in place when heeled. I would have liked to put a "crash bar" in front of the cooker, but it would interfere with opening the locker under the sink.

I have ordered several cargo nets about 1200 x 300mm in size which I plan to install in various places such as above the berths to hold life jackets and other light items out of the way.

The cabin probably needs a few more hand holds, and I'm considering where to locate them.

By the way, I doubt if you will find a home in Canada without at least a few IKEA items. Now this may become true of boats as well.

Edited by gshannon - 06 April 2018 at 22:02
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Fun & Function View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fun & Function Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 09:55
Hi Grahame,

You certainly did some interesting improvement to your boat! I'd be interested in learning how you did the additional insulation on your fridge. I can't really see how to access the fridge exterior panels on my 370.
Steinar

Hanse 370e #348

Oslo, Norway
Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2008 at 11:18
Interesting adaptions.

We have replaced our lights with LED's, made better use of the fridge with custom made baskets (see thread) insulated our fridge and are in the process of having an acrylic splash back made for the galley sinks as inevitebly water splashes onto the upholstery.
I have made better use of the back cabin wardrobes (we have the 3 cabin version) which we do not use for clothes, by hanging 2 ikea fabric shoe holders making more storage space.
We have needed to replace the switches on most of the roof lights as the originals just seemed to stop working Confused which was a bit of a pain...
I like the idea of the ikea glass shield for your wardrobe tops - may think about getting a couple more made in acrylic - mmm..
It is really useful seeing other peoples ideas - this is where I got the idea for the fridge baskets.
We also have a cockpit awning which I have to say is invaluable - when everyone else needs to rush below when it rains - we stay up on deck and watch the world go by...
We do not sail with the cockpit awning up (we have been asked if we do )Ermm
In addition we also have a wind generator as we are on a swinging mooring - this ensures that our batteries are always 'topped up'

Sue Wink
samba View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2008 at 12:38
Some great ideas!

I am also interested how you insulated your fridge.
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2008 at 02:07
The fridge insulation was done by a professional spray foaming outfit here in Vancouver. Several Hanses were done at once.

They drilled 25mm holes behide the seatback ahead of the box to get access there, and some more on the side of the stove compartment. There was also some access from inside the locker under the sink. I believe others have done this themselves using the cans of insulating foam available at hardware stores. It might take quite a few cans!

We don't have a cockpit awning, but we have a large 4 sided umbrella called an Anchor Shade. I made a hole in the pedestal plate between the cupholders for the post. It fits snugly between the backstay and the dodger, sheltering the cockpit table and the helm quite well. We don't sail with it up, but we can motor in calm conditions. The corners are tied down to the lifelines.

In the picture you can see part of the umbrella, and also a reel we had made for the 180 meter stern line we carry. Many anchorages in BC and Alaska are like the Scandinavian Fjords, very steep and deep with big tidal range, so we anchor close to shore, stern in, and take a line ashore.  I have mine very long so I take it around a tree and back to the boat so we can cast off without using the dinghy.

Edited by gshannon - 05 May 2008 at 15:47
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Brightside View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brightside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 09:56
Hi Grahame.
The AnchorShade looks interesting.
Regards
Mike
Muscadet View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muscadet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 10:21
Sue,

Where did you get your LED bulbs and what type are they? I'd like to get some as this is our biggest battery drain when anchored at night.

How do you find the light output? Can you still read by them?

Regards

Alan
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2008 at 15:52
The LED bulbs are from http://www.doctorled.com/  and seem to be as bright as the 10w halogens we replaced.  I actually prefer reading by them as I sometimes used to burn my ear on the very hot halogen bulbs.

The LEDs have many small light sources so when they fail, one of them goes out and there is a tiny reduction in light. Much better than the all or nothing mode of an incandescent.

The only drawback seems to be initial expense.

Edited by gshannon - 05 April 2009 at 00:55
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 16:20
Grahame, I love the stern line reel. I was starting to think about how I would do this exact thing. I was thinking of starting with a garden hose reel and modifying from there. Is this what you did or is it full custom? Drawings?
Thx  Steve
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 04:26
The stern reel is made as a stock item by Pro-Tech marine in North Vancouver. Their very outdated web site is at http://www.pro-tech.bc.ca/
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>