myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse upgrades on Tangleberry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 23:49
Hi Panos,

Thanks for the advice. It sounds like you have a lot of experience with spinnakers. Although I have done a great deal of single and short handed sailing, I have generally used spinnakers only when racing, but that will now change.

Sans is I suppose a French word for "without", many Canadians including me, mix in words from other languages as we live in multi-lingual society. That said, I hear more Chinese than French in Vancouver!Smile

When do you get your 64? I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences. It isn't likely I'll ever own a boat that big, but I was employed by the America3 syndicate in 1995 and did some sailing on their America's cup contenders. It was a thrill to sail at 9 knots in 6 knots of true wind! That said, I didn't find the helm very responsive, these are boats you sail by the numbers not by "feel".  I'll be interested to see how you like your new boats helm. Mind you, when cruising we have the autopilot on a lot.

Thanks again for the comments!

Edited by gshannon - 16 February 2009 at 00:27
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 23:16
Thought you may like to see the splash back we have fitted to our galley behind the sinks.
Clear piece of perspex - few frosted stencils - cost = £3.50!!
Stops the dirty washing up water going onto the upholstery!!!!

Sue Wink

gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 18:40
Looks good. Your sink covers are interesting. How are they supported?
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Clivian View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 19:06
2 stainless steel trays with a rubber matting in the rescess
Sue Wink
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2008 at 23:00
Tangleberry is now in the Inside Passage on the way to Alaska, at the Village of Hartley Bay, BC. Population 100-200.  No store but good fuel dock. Local lady sold us 2 loaves of bread.  Very good.

Moorage is free, plenty of room. Power available by donation.

Trip so far pleasant but some wet weather. Maximum wind recorded was 26 knots true. Some good downwind sailing but I haven't put the chute up yet.

Mostly motoring, no problems so far. We are overdosed on beautiful scenery. Huge snow capped peaks, cascading falls, narrow passages between islands. Some days we don't see another boat except our friends on Skylark II who are travelling with us.

AIS usually reports one or 2 targets a day, but only one, the BC Ferry Northern Adventure, has come close enough to trigger an alarm.

This is a beautiful trip and worth doing at least once in a lifetime!

Edited by gshannon - 30 June 2008 at 23:01
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2008 at 18:50
Grahame
Sounds like a fantastic voyage - very jealous, would love to do that some day. Would love to see a couple of pictures....

Steve
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 03:50
Wea are having a great time on the way to Alaska. We have reached Prince Rupert BC, right on the border. We have flown home to Vancouver for a wedding but fly back July 21 to resume our trip.

Some pictures:

Anatomically correct totem in Alert Bay cemetery. The fish is a Halibut, and they really do get that big!

Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 08:34
I am a copycat who is going to use the solution with Ikea Baren to prevent things to leave the top of the lockers. 

The 2 metall peaces should be fixed with a screw each and Tangleberry wrote "just inside the existing fiddles " regarding the localation of Ikea Baren. Below that position there is only 12 mm of wood if I drill 90 degres toward the surface.
The length of the edge is different on the 3 lockers we have in our 342 so
I have managed to mount on one locker by using 4.2 x 25 screw that goes into the vertical part below the top locker.

The locker top is made of 12 mm wood and my personal feeling is that it is not enough to secure the Ikea Baren but on the other hand it seem that this is the only option on at least one of ours lockers

Any guidelines is welcome
thx

Edited by skipper - 24 May 2009 at 16:22
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 17:04
I used the supplied IKEA screws and they are still holding tight after one year of use including a trip to Alaska which is why we installed them in the first place.

If they were to strip out and loosen I would replace them with small bolts (machine screws) with nuts and washers beneath.
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2009 at 22:03
In Sweden we do NOT get any screws bundled with the glass shelf.
So my question is very simple, is it enough to use wood screws that goes through the 12 mm thick top locker?

Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>