myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 371
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hanse upgrades on Tangleberry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clivian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 12:07
ahhhhhh - the dreaded foot on the keys job!!!!
an expensive mishap - think it cost us £70 for a replacement front to the the ignition facia!!!!!
This looks like a good idea, but does it not become a little fiddly to get the key in and turn it also are you able to read the gauges alright.
I had thought of a piece of clear plastic attached to the piece of wood via piano hinge.
UNLESS someone has any other ideas.....

Sue Wink
gloughead/171 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloughead/171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 03:30
Hello Sue. I mounted the bar just above the level of the key hole. That way I have no problem using the key and the instruments are in full view when viewed from above. Garth.
Garth
Zeester View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2009 at 11:13
Originally posted by gloughead/171 gloughead/171 wrote:

Hello Sue. I mounted the bar just above the level of the key hole. That way I have no problem using the key and the instruments are in full view when viewed from above. Garth.

Hi,

Instead of stepping on the key my concern would be stepping on the bar, because if one steps on it the forces on the polyester side would be uge.

Also the key is in the ignition only for short periods of time while the bar is in place all the time.

Have you found a way to prevent damage on the poly when stepping on the bar?

Ron
gloughead/171 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gloughead/171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2009 at 15:03
Hello Ron. The bar is just wide enough to deflect the downward moving foot, it is not possible to exert significant force on it. Garth.
Garth
Wilcox View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 02:33
Hi Grahame,

We passed on the high seas outside of Prudeux Haven this August 2010.  Boat looked good.  Hope all is well

Rob
370-068
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 20:38
Originally posted by gshannon gshannon wrote:

I found a bathroom shelf called BAREN which is made of tempered glass and has nicely rounded corners.

Grahame, I have kept the "IKEA Baren" tip in the back of my head ever since you wrote your post over three years ago. I have now grown mature enough to drill the holes to fit them myself on the cupboard tops in the front cabin. The many scratches and bruises my boat has gained over the years also helped me make the decision.

What you see in the picture is one third of the charts we carry. Another third will be found on the port side and all the rolled up charts in the very front of the fore cabin. We carry charts from Helsinki to Amsterdam. And my chart plotter? Don't have one. Don't need it.

Johan

scarab View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 15:04
Applying Chart Updates to your collection must be quiet time consuming Wink

Koen  
PRCH View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PRCH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2011 at 15:19
Originally posted by gloughead/171 gloughead/171 wrote:

I got tired of stepping on the key when moving about so bolted an appropriate sized handhold in place... problem solved. [IMG]uploads/20091018_010416_key_guard.jpg" />

Hello

Another solution is to remove that small tap on the key which locks the key when in position ON. Then the key can be removed during motering and put back in, in order to turn power OFF when the engine is turned OFF.

Edited by PRCH - 15 August 2011 at 15:20
Regards

Peter

—————————————————

S/Y Schisslaweng, Hanse 312, #212
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2011 at 10:45
Johan, you are very unique in several aspects:-)

Regarding the location of the IKEA Baren on top of the locker, I installed after the tips in this thread and mounted them close at the edge.
Based on my new experience I think I would have put them a few centimeter from the edge of the shelf to enable us to grab the edge when sailing in big waives, that would also make it easier to use long screws into the vertical wood below or to use (or washer and nut below of the shelf). Not as far as Johan have done because we store larger seacharts on top of the shelf and I think we should add some line to prevent pilot books from jumping down as happend this summer. (We do have both chartplotter and papper sea charts just in case of electrical failure of the plotter).

Edited by skipper - 21 October 2013 at 12:34
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
gshannon View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2017 at 18:44
After many years some of the Ikea Baren mounting brackets on Tangleberry have broken, probably due to crew using them as handholds. The glass is still fine. 

I found these brackets which look sturdier. Ordered online and still waiting for them to arrive. 

Edited by gshannon - 25 September 2021 at 17:02
Grahame

Tangleberry 371-092

aviadesign.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>