myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fitting an autopilot to a 320

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitting an autopilot to a 320
    Posted: 12 May 2008 at 20:17
I would like some advice about fitting an autopilot to our boat. I think that i have settled on the simrad system despite the ridiculous price tag ( just under £3000 in the UK). I can source all the bits myself but need to purchase the correct length drag link from the direct drive motor to the rudder stock. There are 3 available. Can anyone help with the sizing as well as any help or advice of the pitfalls of installation.
Nick71
Hanse 320
nickfabbri View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2008 at 19:53
Have just finished fitting the said autopilot. If anyone needs help regarding placement, locations, and suppliers that have been useful and also terrible, please PM me
Nick71
Hanse 320
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 06:52
 Hi Nick,

I will start installing our pilot this week so it would be very nice to see a picture of your finished system. Were there any surprises with installing?

Edited by Merinalle - 28 July 2008 at 06:52
320#166
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 09:02
The placement of the gyro compass was a bit of a difficult one. Despite a total lack of help from one nameless dealer we ended up fixing it in the cupboard forward of the switch panel. there is a 7 way Simnet connector behind the switch panel. The rest of it was relatively straight forward. The ap12 goes in the locker at the foot of the aft cabin. This is also where you will find the leads for the autopilot power supply. The ap24 control head is next to the is20 on the starboard side. The only struggle was placement of the motor. If you are going with the DD15 or DD1, the location of the motor is fairly critical. Despite seeing many photos on the net of placements on 350's and 370's, it is all reversed on the 320 and there is less space. You alos have to deal with the aft bulkhead. We ended up placing the drive almost completely at right angles to the for-aft line of the boat. This was the only way we could get the flanges in line as well as ensuring there was no fouling when screwing through the floor of the cockpit. I will be at the boat tomorrow and will try and get some photos.

Nick71
Hanse 320
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 13:18

Thanks in advance! Especially the installation of the motor unit is interesting.

320#166
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2008 at 14:43
if you look inside the bulkhead at the rear of the starboard aft cabin you will see that you cannot get easy access to the area where the rudder stock is. therefore the entire drive unit has to fit behind the position of this bulkhead.  The other limiting factor is that if you position the unit too far back you will not be able to drill the screw holes for the holes nearest the back of the boat. I put it in place. then drew round it in pencil. then i drilled a pilot hole about 3mm for the front starboard screw. Went below and checked that i had cleared the bulkhead by about 10mm to allow for the washer . The rest is fairly straight forward.Oh you also need to drill a hole for the drive unit controls on the starboard wall of the recess where the rudder stock is. As a reference point if you open the gas locker and look at the position of the second ridge from the back of the locker then that is about where the bulkhead begins. as i said i will try to take some pictures tomorrow
Nick71
Hanse 320
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 20:42

Nick,

Thanks for the info. Sorry, but I still don’t understand how I can install the drive unit so that the geometry fulfils the Jefa descriptions. If you have taken some pictures, they would be really useful!

320#166
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2008 at 22:01
I will be at the boat on Friday and will take some then
Nick71
Hanse 320
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 10:22

unfortunately the space limitations of the 320 stop it from allowing an ideal mounting. You need a 100mm offset or so to give perfect port/starboard abilities. If you look at this link from the Jefa website of an installation on a 370 ( which is for some reason backward to a 320) you will see little or no offset.

ftp://ftp.jefa.com/steering/installation-guides/Hanse_370_400/Hanse-autopilot-installation.jpg

Nick71
Hanse 320
Merinalle View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merinalle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2008 at 11:03

Nick, could you fulfil the demand “A good installation check is to make sure all end-position points are in one line (see green line in illustration)? That is on page 2 of these instructions:

ftp://ftp.jefa.com/steering/installation-guides/Install-DD1.pdf

I have a feeling that the instructions are not made too easy to follow with a 320.

320#166
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>