myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 430
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Upgrades for 430

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skopea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrades for 430
    Posted: 04 June 2008 at 09:37
Originally posted by Adam Adam wrote:

I agree, with Panos, seams like Hanse is selling a almost finished product these days, I am quite disappointed over a couple of things that hanse left out, that everyone who wants to really sail the boat has to replace or fit. Like the elastic halyards, and a main sail fitting system that does not allow you to hoist and lover the main without huge effort, or loads of lubricant, one size larger winches wold also have been appreciated. If my boat on top of this is fitted with a non adjustable backstay, I'll be quite crossed ;)

Any way, thats my opinion, though I have not sailed a unmodified 430, I decided to order mine without any modifications to the things mentioned, and try to sail it as is this summer. I'll get back to you underway to tell you the results :)

/Jørgen Adam

Hi

I received my boat in February and since then I am upgrading some equipments to utilize the boat efficiently.

1- The first thing you all should change is the main sail handling system. The sliders that Hanse provides are useless at all.  They are not designed and fit for Sparcraft Performance mast. Although local North Sail dealer helped me a lot with alternative sliders, it did not work as well.

Instead, I changed with Harken A CB system and is working like magic so easy hoist and lower the main sail even under wind conditions also.

You can see the attached Harken manual for detailed info.

Enjoy sailing
Ozturk

Skopea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skopea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 09:54
Hi

I received my boat with the classical lift in installed on the backstay as seen on picture 1, then I contacted to Hanse dealer and asked an explanation that 430 is offered on all catalog pictures and specifications manuals with backstay adjuster.

Afterwards, (4 months later) they changed with the regular adjuster, that is very easy to adjust the backstay according to your tension needs for good trimming as seen on picture 2.

You better clarify with Hanse for the type of the adjuster before you receive your boat.

Picture 1.   backstay with lift in

Picture 2. after the replacement.

Enjoy sailing
Ozturk

Skopea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skopea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 10:11

Hi again,

I am just cheating by writing post next to each other to reach Johan Hackman's and Panos's challenge. Big%20smile  I can never reach Johan's artistic and Panos's technical contribution to this site. Thanks to them.

I have another upgrade with my sail system. As all we know, 430 performs very well while sailing, but she needs some boost when wind speed is under 10knts. So, a genneaker is the best solution under this conditions where you can both use during cruising and racing.

I ordered a Northsails, superkote, 0.90oz.,140m2, G-2 Easymaxi with snuffer gennaker and happy with it. Especially, it is very easy to handle with snuffer. I know snuffer is not for real racers, but it best for enjoyment of sailing.

I will take the picture this weekend and post it.

Enjoy sailing
Ozturk

Skopea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skopea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 10:20

Hi again,

After spending a lot of money on my technical improvements on the boat, I had to do something for my wife also.

Here is the easy solution installed on the kitchen board to avoid spills from the sink.
It is a acrylic board attached on the kitchenette board.

Adam View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 11:56
Thank you! I did not know that the sliders actually were the "wrong" ones, I just thought they were a bad design/price compromise. Did you have any problems fitting the harken system? Was it just a simple replacement of the slides, or did you have to make modifications to the sails? What dealer did you use?
/Jørgen Adam Holen

wherever you go, there you are.
"firefly" 430e 2008
Skopea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skopea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 13:09
Hi Adam,

The local dealer at Bodrum (Yachtsworks) did installation. The main sail got small modification done by the sail loft to fit on the slider's attachments. It took about two days to fix all necessary parts. You can see all stages of installation on pictures in the link that I refered on my previous mail.

Enjoy sailing
Ozturk

bluenose View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluenose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 13:16
Hi Skopea,

Your splashback looks great and would be very useful.

What sort of hardware did you use to fasten?

Could you send a closeup of the fastener attached to the counter?

Is the splashback plexiglas?

Cheers,
Peter
Skopea View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skopea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2008 at 14:07
Hi Peter,

Yes it is plexiglas.
Normally, the fastener is used to fix a shelf on a wall. I just turned it around and install it horizantally. You can find them in any hardware store as an attachment for a shelf.

Enjoy sailing
Ozturk
hawkeye View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2008 at 01:28
Hi everyone,
We did the same on our 370 using plexiglass matching the rest of the boat and fittings designed for mounting glass. I drilled and tapped the corian benchtop and used stainless countersunk bolts. Very easy to do with home handyman tools and a $3 tap from any engineering supply store.
Well worth the effort to protect the upholstery.
John  370e #164
Easy_Diver View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy_Diver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 07:51
Hi Skopea, (or should I say "merhaba" in Turkish)
I am planning to order a new 40' boat in the near future and Hanse 400 is in my list. I have seen your 430 in the last boatshow Istanbul and in fact made some close-up inspection as well. I was reading your posts about your upgrades and would love to discuss with you couple of things about Hanse. (I have already sent you a PM but could not get any reply yet Cry)
Thanks,
Murat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>