myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anchor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anchor
    Posted: 15 July 2008 at 19:27
Hello, I want to buy a Delta Anchor for my new Hanse 370. Lewmar recommend as Standard a 10kg one, Hanse offers a 16kg. Is 10kg. enough? Has maybe somebody problems with this anchor? I think about an 8mm stainless-steel chain.

Really looking forward to hearing some comments.

Thomas.
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 19:36
IMHO 10kg is not enough for the 370.  16kg is sufficient.  The Hanse has a fair bit of windage.  8mm chain is also fine.  We have 60m of all 8mm chain.
The Delta works fine and sits in the bow roller nicely. It works well for us. There are other types if you want to experiment a bit.  It's one of those subjects to chat in the bar with cruising types one very long evening.  You'll get lots of views of different types of anchor.

Edited by colincooper - 15 July 2008 at 19:41
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
371-#235 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371-#235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2008 at 19:55
I've upgraded my anchor twice from the 10 kg (22lb) Delta that the boat was originally equipped with.

I first upgraded to the 16kg (35lb) Delta. I drilled a new hole in the Delta to accomodate Hanse's anchor locking pin and it worked well. I was happy with the additional holding power but found that at times the Delta was difficult to set and occasionally it dragged.

After following the thread on this site about happy Hanse owners with the Rocna anchor (http://www.rocna.com/) I recently purchased the 20kg (44lb) Rocna. I upgraded the roller wheel on the Hanse anchor roller to a 100mm (4 inch) wheel then drilled the Rocna to fit the Hanse locking pin as well. This winter I will have the original hole in the Rocna filled in by a welder then re-galvanized.

I am extremely impressed with the Rocna! Very fast sets, very good holding power. No dragging to date. It seems to set at or close to the place where it touches bottom. It also looks good on the bow roller.

Bob
371-#235
"Blondie"
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 13:28
The only problem with Rocna is their rather agressive and misleading marketing policies.  Take a look at discussion on wikipedia about their techniques.  Their "interpretation" of test results to place Rocna on top are highly dubious.  One example: look at their placment of the Fortress anchor and then go and look at the original testing.

Edited by colincooper - 16 July 2008 at 17:26
Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 14:41
Hi Thomas,

congrets for yout decision to go for the 370. Its a really fine boat. When will she be delivered?

Depending the anchor: We had the 10kg Delta on our recent 341. It was OK for the 5.4 to. But I feel more safe with the 16kg Delta on our 370 if the wind will increase.

The anchor windless is not well installed at the 370. The chain comes not out properly when lifting the ancher. Every 2-3 m you have to bowl down the tower that is builded by the chain. If you will order it, bring in the contrat that this windless and the installation works fine - its too expensive for bad function.
BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 17:24
Hi Ralf,

did you use a zink chain or a stainless steel one? Which length do you have?
lukemi View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukemi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 18:59

I have the 16 Kg (35 lb) Delta and have not had any problems. I use 8 MM chain with 160' length. Secondary anchor is also a 16 Kg Delta with 200' rope rode stored in stern locker (have not had to use this yet). My problem with chain is not the pile under the windless but occational lockup in the winch (Vetus). I sometimes have to back out and restart chain. I was hoping to have a completely remote system but I don't think thats going to happen. I have also noted that, once set, the winch is not strong enough to break free. I usually have to coax the chain a little. I would image that stainless steel chain would work a lot better than my zinc plated chain but then... cost is a significent advantage. BTW: I installed my own winch system so a Hanse installed solution may have different attributes.

Best Regards, Mike

Stella Maris

371-#235 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 371-#235 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 19:27
Colin,

Can't comment about what Rocna are doing in their advertising - would rather let the anchor speak for itself. It has impressed me with each use in different situations. Totally superior to the Delta! I think this will be borne out over time in the sailing industry and with future anchor tests.

Bob
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 20:46
Personally I haven't found any problems with the Delta. Not that I'm sure the Rocna is a good anchor too.

The best advice if you regularly sleep on anchor is:
1. more than one anchor on board
2. each one a different type

The whole idea that there is one anchor that beats all others in all circumstances is frankly misleading.

Actually I've just seen the Rocna misleading info even extends to our own myhanse site.  See the link below.  The table of "West Marine's own comments" added by Craig from Rocna is actually one of Rocna's own"interpretations" of the report.   Read the actual report and it is far more balanced.

The anchor might be pretty good.  Why then spoil it by misleading info?

Edited by colincooper - 16 July 2008 at 21:06
AnnSea View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnSea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2008 at 23:41
Hi,

I've dragged anchor several times with my Delta 35lb and 8mm chain. I've dived on the anchor whilst it was being set by a crewman on deck. It typically slides several metres until it snags on something (a sand ridge for example) that causes it to start setting. I have since replaced it with a 45lb Manson "CQR" type and have had zero problems.

I have also had the bow roller extended forward by 8 inches as the plumb stem copped a fair bit of punishment from the chain whenever the wind picks up - the boat sails around quite a lot when anchored. The extended roller was also strengthened by welding side plates to the existing setup - this has stopped all the twisting that was taking place.

As noted by others the standard Hanse anchor winch is too low in the anchor well - the chain piles up and jams the winch. This is annoying when you are single-handed and trying to get the anchor in before being blown onto the boats/rocks around you!

Lastly there is no samson post/mooring bollard or spare roller. It would be nice to not have to remove the anchor just to make room for a mooring line.

Tim

AnnSea 370e #418
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>