myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

linear drive steering system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: linear drive steering system
    Posted: 30 July 2008 at 06:49
I am thinking about building in a automatic steering system this year.
Only the Jefa system in combination with a simrad or raymarine is quit expencive.
Now I have seen there is space in the boat at the rudder shaft and there is space enough there to place a Raymarine linear drive steering system in combination with a lever on the axel of the rudder.( not onder the hatch in the cockpit but realy in the boat in the storing room behind the aft cabin)
This system is in almost all the serial build yachts like Jeanneau Benetau and so on.
Does anyone has experiance with this ?
Wenn I buy the Jefa solution it will cost about 3500 Euro and wenn I buy the system from Raymarine and import it from America it cost aprox. 2000 Euro.(thanks to the cheep Dollar!)
Does anyone has any pro or conns on Raymarine lineair drive versus the Jefa system ?
Greetings MArcel

Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 07:29

I do have the hanse build simrad autopilot. I only can tell: It works really very good. Also in big waves from behind it worked well this summer holidays. I do not want to miss it.

Blake 370
Conundrum View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conundrum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 09:05

Hi,

I am not too sure on how you propose to mount the autopilot, but it should not be mounted between the two bearings of the rudder shaft. i.e. in the boat. See this report for details : http://www.mcib.ie/download_stream/?id=6ef746f040a80519

alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 10:40

Your link does not work Conudrum but after som search I did find the report off the sinking off the Megawat at reports om www.mcib.ie

I  do  understand the conclusions because the tiller arm on this boat was mounted like on a standard Hanse 371 wich has the arm under deck  but it was seperately mounted under the existing lever over the same keyway that was long enough.
There the lever was mounted to low under the bearing! 
They keyway seems to have been the problem wich made rudderstock weeker and so there te problem seems to have existed.
I do not intend to use a keyway but only use a lever with friction and then there seems to be no problem , also I think that since so many serial built boats have this system , I think many more ships must have sunk if it was a wrong solution.
If you have more detailed information pleas put it on the forum.

greetings Marcel

Edited by alettaenmarcel - 30 July 2008 at 12:42
Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 18:26
Hanse were in the early stages of the 370 when megawat sunk, I believe the Jefa option was as  a direct result of that sinking.
I looked into the option that you describe; but the Hanse / Jefa option is vastly superior, the forces on the rudder can be very large and with the autopilot bolted to the top of the rudder stock and down on to an aluminium plate, the designers have come up with a design that is far ahead of many other boat builders.
You will find that if you run down fairly large waves that the rudder occasionaly locks with the turbulance of the waves, at these times your rudder stock is being worked very hard. If you you score your rudder stock with the autopilot not being fixed hard enough the rudder stock will be weakened  considerably and that is when things go wrong!
Simon
Swanned off
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 19:17
If I understand it correctly the lever was welded onto Megawatt's rudder stock, which weakened it and eventually made it break.

Johan
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 21:32
I understand something else from the raport Johan
the auto stearing leaver was mounted under the excisting leaver and was stopped by the same keyway as the existing leaver.
The keyway was therfore pushed at the wrong point and so it got very tiny break points on witch it finally broke.
greetings Marcel
Richard108 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard108 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2008 at 21:34
If you have not already have a look at the Jefa download files specific for the Hanse 370 at

Regards Richard

("Moksha" 540 #115 delivered Sept 2007)

Pittwater, Sydney, Australia
Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 11:24
By the way, who of you knows how the moving of the steering wheel is transmittet to the bottom of the sterring colum? Is there a chain, a steel cable or does that also work with a pole? I mean only the part between top of the colum to the bottom.

Edited by Stella*Nova - 31 July 2008 at 11:25
BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2008 at 12:13
ask Jeffa , they have an exelent customer service ( anyway in Holland) and they do have this probebly also in Germany.
greetings Marcel

Edited by alettaenmarcel - 31 July 2008 at 12:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>