myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

linear drive steering system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2018 at 21:03
Good point. Will check this tomorrow, however, from what I think to know, it wasn't possible because of the height. But, again, will make sure by testing this. Thx!
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 12:30
Okay, here is my situation:

All original Jefa 150 steering. However, the swing of the tiller is around the 90 degrees in total, I think. The pin of the tiller for the draglink is on 200mm. The pin on the drive output is 130mm. The offset between the drive and the tiller is 65-70 mm. See pics below. This makes that in my opinion, the draglink has to travel too much and the housing of the drive is causing problems. In my opinion the drive is mounted the wrong way, I don't know why Jefa is saying it should have an offset of 106 mm. Even with 65 mm offset like it's having right now, it causes troubles. I think it only can work without any offset like all, otherwise it will always touch it's own housing. So, in case of a Hanse (320), am I right that dismounting the drive and moving it back without offset (probably by putting the drive under a 45 degrees angle, because of space) will solve the problems? Any insights on this? 

JUTTER View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUTTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 19:13
Hi,
Here are some pictures of my set up of the Jefa DD1 in my Hanse 350. 
Works very well.

Claude

JUTTER, Hanse 350#0256, 2010, deep keel, Zeeland
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 20:08
Thx Claude! I think I notice two differences. First: your tiller has the pin of both drags on the same lenght of the arm. And second: it looks like the total travel of your tiller is less than 80 degrees. On my Jefa steering the total travel is almost 100 degrees, so, the drive has to swing even more than that because of the shorter arm. Maybe that causes my problem; too much travel for the tiller.
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2018 at 22:39
I wrote earlier:
"In Jefa homepage you can find the technical specifications, like max rudder movement 2x36 degrees, and max DD1 movement 2x65 degrees".
Maybe you should check the condition of the two rubber-stops, supossedly preventing the rudder not to move more than 2x 36 degrees.
You can check the technical drawings on Jefa homepage, (and see the complete installation manual).
In your photos the movement of the arm of DD1 sure seems to be some 150 degrees, and as you can read above (and in Jefa drawings), the maximum allowed movement is 130(128) degrees.
In the pictures from "JUTTER" the movement seems to be correctly about 130 degrees.
Bring a protractor to your boat, and check the angle of movement, and if the angle exceeds 130 degrees, maybe the rubber-stops are damaged or missing.
I posted a picture of the installation in a 370/400, here you can see one of the rubber-stops under the aluminium footing-plate.

Edited by Captain Cook - 23 May 2018 at 23:05
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 10:14
Hi Captain Cook,

This is for sure the problem. There is only one protractor mounted beneath the steering system. So, the angle the rudder can make is around 100 degrees, which makes that the DD1 has to make an even bigger angle. 

So, I have to limit the movement of the steering system to somewhere around the 2 x 36 degrees I think and everyting will fit fine. 

This makes me think, is the max angle rudder of 2 x 36 degrees sufficient for manouvring in the harbor? Probably, but, not sure. So, to put the question in another context: Is this a normal angle of a steering system? 

Thx in advance for helping me solving this! :-)

Marco
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2018 at 13:03
I just wander... Has this boat been ordered without autopilot ... and then delivered with an arm (on the rudder) not suitable for a DD1 autopilot.
I think I would have got a piece of aluminium and corrected that arm.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
Captain Cook View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 03:26
Hi Marco
If a new rubber stop is impossible to mount under the steering wheel, you can construct a rubber stop on the DD1 to the same effect. The stops are for hand steering, since the movement of the arm of the DD1 is set up in the autopilot computer under "max rudder movement". This setting is obviously required to be set to a smaller angle than the maximum, since the DD1 should not attempt to squash the rubber stops.

A couple of questions arise:
Why was the DD1 disconnected? - I see a lot of loose wires
Which autopilot is controlling the DD1?
What is the explanation from the previous owner of the boat about this problem?

Regarding your question about the normal angle of a steering system, you can check the photos from "JUTTER", who has a boat, that works just fine with 2x36 degrees, and that works just nice on my 400 as well. I have mounted my DD1 myself, using the JEFA instruction manual, also available from their homepage . When the manufacturer of both the steering system and the DD1 (JEFA) stipulates a maximum working angle, I believe you can trust it to be the gospel.
Sailors salute
Kjeld
Freya H400 #27 (2006), 40HP 3JH4E, 2-cabin, 3-blade Flexofold, Aries LiftUp Windvane, Exturn 300, Jefa DD1,Simrad NX40,Icom M603(VHF)+M802(SSB)
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2018 at 10:05
Hi,

I don't know how it was ordered. The previous owner also bought the boat with the drive already build in, however, didn't need an autopilot. I bought this boat three weeks ago and I was happy that there was a drive mounted already. However, no autopilot computer ever installed. The wires of the drive were indeed not connected yet. The draglink was coming with the boat, however not connected to the drive, which made sense because the drive was not yet controlled. So, no red flags for me. 

However, first thing for me to do is fixing this autopilot by buying a Raymarine EV 200 Sail and connecting the Jefa drive. That was the moment I discovered:

1. The rudder had a too big angle for connecting the drive (around 100 degrees in total)
2. The stops were there, however, mounted in a wrong way, they didn't stop the rudder
3. The drive itself was mounted in a wrong way. However, I also notice that, now that I dismounted the drive, it seems to be impossible to mount it in the way Jefa describes with an 106 mm offset from the center of the rudder
4. The arm of the drive seems to be the right one, with the pinhole on the 130mm center
5. The rudderarm seems to be okay, with the pin of the draglink on 200mm center

So, next steps are trying to mount the stops in the right way and mount the drive the right way, however, the offset of 106 mm seems to be impossible, so, curious how other 320 owners solved that. I see pics of installations with less offset, that will work probably too then. 

Thx for your advices and thinking with me! 
mystudio View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mystudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2018 at 08:49
Fixed it. Removed the steering colomn and replaced the stops underneath. Now the angle is on both sides a little more than the 36 degrees. Now I can connect the DD1 without problems. It's impossible to use the offset Jefa talks about, of 106 mm. So, we have to see how important the offset is in the real world. But, one difficult step taken. Now mount the ACU 200, the EV1 sensor and find a place for the P70s somewhere. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789