myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

linear drive steering system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 13:36
be aware that the order time for that unit is long. I had to wait eight weeks for mine to be delivered.
Nick71
Hanse 320
FriFlyt View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FriFlyt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 16:46
The delivery time might depend of where and when.
I got mine 4-5 days after ordering. This was early june this year.
FriFlyt
370#332

nickfabbri View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 17:33

4-5 days. that is fantastic. I ordered mine through navico though and not through jefa. They are apparently custom orders as are the drag links, and there were huge problems getting the order shipped to the Rotterdam warehouse and then on to england

Nick71
Hanse 320
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 09:36
In February did I went to a show boat exhibition in Sweden, asked Simrad reprs at that time about what I need to my Hanse 342.
The recommendation were: Simrad Autopilot AP28, computer AC12, rating compass RC42 and direct drive w rudder feedback DD15 (Jefa DD1-12 + Jefa feedback DD1-FB).
Raymarine were changing there series of autopilot systems and it could delay the delivery of hw from the new serie (and there is a risk to use version 1.0 of any sw product.)
Shortly after the exhibition did I order the Simrad system from my local yacht shop.
It took roughly 2-3 months to get the hardware due to delivery problem.

In Sweden is it impossible to get Simrad support, I have also sent email to Navico in Norway with help from my retailer. No answer from Navico Norway. I have tried the english Simrad website , no answer.
In Sweden there is NO SIMRAD SUPPORT, you are depending on local people in the yacht shops with zerro Simrad experience in most of the cases.

Due to that I have knowledge about who make the drive did I ask Jefa about Simrad DD15= Jefa DD1 and got an answer back within a day or two. Excellent Jefa support.

Simrad buy the direct drive and rudder feedback from Jefa,  
on the Simrad DD1 there is a label from Jefa so I don't guess:-))

Jefa information pages need to be updated with new Simrad device names as I see it. The combination I have been recommended in February is not listed in any leaflet I have seen.
I assume that there is different need of power related to the size of the yacht, a Hanse 370 should need more steering power compared with a smaller 342.
(Installation isn't finalized yet due to lack of information and time combined with delayed deliveries. If I should buy today I should consider the linear drive due to cost and ease of installation in a Hanse 342.
I have mounted the direct drive upside down aft of the rudder and above the water heater, draft installation done yesterday.)

Jefa direct drive and rudder feedback should be possible to use together with Raymarine products.

Edited by skipper - 10 August 2008 at 09:51
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
Eduard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2008 at 19:35
Thanks Stefan for your useful information.
It would be great if you could post some photos of the installation of the drive.

Thanks! 
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 09:28
I will share images when the draft installation of the autopilot system is completed.
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
Eduard View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eduard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2008 at 12:37
Thanks Stefan; I am looking forward to those images.
Ed

sy "Nimby" Hanse 342 #611 (2007); white hull, (one) wheel steering, Selden mast & boom, furlex 200S, deep draught, two cabins, traveller in cockpit, DSC VHF, inboard ap, B&G Zeus + Triton (2x)
Bereklauw2 View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bereklauw2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 00:10
Marcel,

I just finished installing the autopilot system. I used the jefa drive, because it is very easy and straight forward and therefore low risk. The power consumption is an average of 2 amps, which is pretty low. It is maintenance free. Plus I've read somewhere that it is specially developed in cooperation with Hanse. The mounting place is reinforced with aluminium and if you buy the special Hanse package from Jefa everything fits.

The AP computer is the AC12 with the AP24 (own import).

If you want more details you can sent me an email.

Boudewijn
Arwen, Hanse 370, #401, former owner of Mirage, Hanse 291. "Real men don't use bowthrusters!"
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2008 at 15:18
Now have I published some pictures showing the draft mounting of a Jefa direct drive upside down in a Hanse 342 (below deck installation).

Please search for pictures in 341/342 folder "Topic: Inboard autopilot drive instalation" http://myhanse.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1045&PN=3

Edited by skipper - 01 December 2008 at 09:37
Cheers,
Skipper
jefa View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jefa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2008 at 09:21

Following the conversation, I have to make a remark that normally the Jefa DD1 is like the Simrad DD15 but not for a Hanse. Please look at this web page and you will find the special ordering number. http://www.jefa.com/News/hanse-rp150/hanse.htm The difference is the output lever (shortened, pin in different hole and pin down) and what is more important a pre-attachement of the cables on a watertight manner. You can convert a Simrad drive to work in a Hanse, but you will have to modify the output lever and take extra care in sealing the unit against water. The normal application for this drive is not abovedeck like in a Hanse.

Armin
Jefa sales director
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>