myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 370 / 375
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2006 model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArgleBargle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2006 model
    Posted: 13 September 2008 at 02:48
Hi

please dont be intimidated by the length of this post.

i'm new here but have been following your threads.

i'm looking seriously at a 2006 model year hanse 370e and i'm trying to compile a list of places to take a closer look/problems.

After reviewing the site I have identified:

-Water heater leaks
-Galley sink drain leaks
-Vent above galley leaks
-antisiphon valve leaks
-Saildrive skirt problem.
-rusty screws/chainplates (A2 vs A4 stainless)
-blocks at base of mast
-fried/melted electrical connections
-problems with jib roller furler (friction)
-fuel tank gage doesnt work
-shower drains poorly

are there any others that anyone can share/enlighten me with as particular places to look?

Has anyone had/heard of any delamination problems?
Apart from the one saildrive that dissolved, any real engine problems?
Any keel bolt problems?
Any problems with teak decks?
Any problems with the single line reefing?

regarding sailing, if you have sailed other similar sized monohulls, how would you characterize the 370 in light airs (with Gennaker) ? in heavier wind (is it more or less tender/seakindly/controllable than similar boats you've been on?)

I know this is a lot to ask in one post from someone who hasnt been here before, but you all seem to generally like your choice and this would be a great help. i promise to contribute anything useful i can to the forum in the future (if i get the 370e, which i suspect i will - if i dont end up with the 370e, I will at least let you know in detail the results of the hull and mechanical surveys and my impressions from the sea trial)

thanks

cheers
bovine View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bovine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 10:47
Hi
    Having read your long post it seems you have trawled through past topics and picked out everything negative. Well i have owned a 315 and a 370e and now a430e all have needed some fettling would i buy a 540e yes when i can give up work and go to the med
ArgleBargle View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArgleBargle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 11:37
hi

thanks for the response - was not trying to be too negative Big%20smile - i wouldnt be planning on buying it if i wasnt really impressed! its just that at this point i think i know the real positives and want to make certain i'm not missing anything when i have it surveyed.

cheers!!
gertha View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gertha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 19:23
Hello.
The hanse 370 is a well sorted boat, I proably have one of the higest mile ones and there are no problems with the structure or build quality.
As a boat the 370 is better than most in light winds, if you require a boat to sail most of the time in 25 knots plus then a heavier boat would be better.
What area to you intend to sail in and what sort of sailing do you intend to do ?

Simon

Swanned off
silversailor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silversailor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 19:53
I've sailed similar displacement (but shorter, 33 and 34') Pearson monohulls and they didn't handle higher winds as well as my 2006 370.  In light air (below 10k) i suggest a genoa or genekker.  If you are going to use the genoa for a wide range of sailing, stay with about a 135.  In higher winds (15-30K) the self taker is fine.  Depending on sea conditions, crew, etc.  I consider reefing at 18 K, if I'm flying my 135 genoa, and at 20K+ if I'm flying the self tacker.  Because of the size of the main, I suggest a 3rd reef.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the 370.  The local dealer can also make a big difference.
Silversailor
South Haven, MI USA
S/V Legacy
2010 Andrews 28
ArgleBargle View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ArgleBargle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 20:12

thanks again for the responses.

my area is Pacific Northwest US/southwest British Columbia with a wide variety of conditions (lots of calm days in the summer and many blustery fall, winter and spring days where its quite possible to get caught out in a gale) which is why I was wondering about the extremes. plus jaunts to the unprotected west coast of vancouver island. down the road perhaps something farther afield once or twice, but mostly coastal cruising.

had been considering the thrid reef in the ginormous main, you seem to confirm that.

good to hear no issues with build quality (except perhaps a few components with lower quality stainless).

i'll let you know what happens

cheers
Peter Russell View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Russell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2008 at 20:22
Hi

I have a 2008 model 370.  Aside from a few snags - resolution down to quality of the dealer and the UK one is good - I have been really happy with it.  Sailed in light winds on only a few occasions in the UK this year!  Some winds as strong as F8.  She is a good boat.  Fast with good levels of family comfort.

Just been to the Southampton Boat Show and sadly lacking in purchases so they are well equipped as well!

Stainless is possibly a problem.  However some other equipment I've put on  has 'rusted' as much as any Hanse kit so possibly it is the conditions or the general low quality of fittings today.

I agree shower is a problem.  Options are to put a sloping floor in the heads - probably not good to stand on - or just mop it out like I do.  Possibly a teak grating may solve the problem.

I sail short handed and can reef both main and head on my own without help when I need to.  Other issues have not been a problem for me.

Hope this helps.
Peter Russell

Hanse 370 hull 499 "Outnumbered"

http://outnumbered.the-russells.net
colincooper View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colincooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 11:15
I think you need to split your list into things you want the surveyor to check and design quirks of the 370 e.g. I can't see the shower floor draining being something you want to pay a surveyor to look at.

It would be interesting to see a surveyor view of the main load-bearing fittings i.e. chainplates, anchor roller, fitting of cleats etc.  I suppose you also need to check that the regular maintence has been done - for example to the engine - and that there have been no major bumps or groundings.   I can't think of much else to check on a 2 year old boat.

One advantage you have of buying a 2006 build boat is that you won't get the new plexiglass windows.  On the 2006 model all windows are standard Lewmar fittings IMHO a big advantage when looking toward future maintenance (and I think better looking too).

And being a very happy owner of a 2006 370 I'd heartily recommend them.
Colin (owner of Hilde - a 370)
digme View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 13:38
Originally posted by ArgleBargle ArgleBargle wrote:

Hi
 After reviewing the site I have identified:

-Water heater leaks
-Galley sink drain leaks
-Vent above galley leaks
-antisiphon valve leaks
-Saildrive skirt problem.
-rusty screws/chainplates (A2 vs A4 stainless)
-blocks at base of mast
-fried/melted electrical connections
-problems with jib roller furler (friction)
-fuel tank gage doesnt work
-shower drains poorly

Don't use too much time on the small issues (like galley sink leaks and shower drain). Some of the issus are simple to check (either it works or it doesn't). The A2/A4 bolts issue is resolved bylooking at the markings. I have A2 and they haven't been a problem. I guess additional factors like air pollution and how often you're able to clean the boat with sweet water are important.

Hanse seems to have a bad record when it comes to water heaters. You should look for rust as well as leaks.

Jib furler should be checked. Note that it's important to check the top of the furling profile and to check the forestay. Furler friction may translate to forstay wear. (Not a specific Hanse problem, but general advice.)

Mast base blocks haven't been much of an issue in my case, but they're not optimal for 12mm rope. Because the quality of the standard  halyard is poor you should replace at least the mainsail halyard with a 10mm dyneema or similar quality.

Another important spot is the mast base that shoud be checked for signs of fatigue, and correct stepping of the mast. (Again, this is not a specific Hanse problem. You should pay attention to this spot on any second hand boat.)

Hi
Has anyone had/heard of any delamination problems?
Indeed, but such problems are difficult to spot if they are from production rather than the result of impact.

You should look carefully for gelcoat stress cracks. If you inspect that boat on shore you should look carefully at the hull area around the keel to spot any rust leaks, and aft area for any cracks (compression cracks hat may be caused by impact).

Hi
Any problems with the single line reefing?
Again, look for damage to the reefing blocks in the sail, and any damage to the sail.

Edited by digme - 14 September 2008 at 13:41
Rubato View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rubato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2008 at 17:08
ArgleBargle - if you like, send me a PM, it would be great to make the acquaintance of another Pacific NW Hanse owner...

Steve (Hanse 400e)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>