myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 300 / 301
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a Hanse 301

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote devonguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a Hanse 301
    Posted: 12 March 2009 at 11:11
Looking to buy first boat after years of dinghy sailing with the kids. 

Found a number of 301 s for sale on the usual sites but wondered from an owners perspective:
How has your 301 aged?
Anything in particular I should pay attention to on first viewing?
Any difference between early 301 and late manufactured 301s?

I'd be very grateful for any advice or shared experience.
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 08:48
Hi Devonguy,
In 2007 i also was looking at moving from dinghy sailing to something a bit bigger, i had looked around for a couple of years, and had chosen Hanse as the make and then i choose the 301 as it was a boat that did not stretch the budget to much. I was not mistaken the boat is great, the boat is now 7rs old, and my family and I love it so much so we covered 1280 miles last year with 69 days on board, going to dublin and around the welsh coast.  The only thing I would suggest you look for is the sails, as the early 301 had East sails and the later ones had North, and I prefer the North.  On a comfort point of view and to keep the peace with my wife, I choose a 301 with heating and hot water, and so we sail throught the winter, only taking the boat out for 3 days.  If you want any more info. message me.

Please have a look at my own website www.dancingdemon.me.uk
Dave

Edited by holby - 13 March 2009 at 09:11
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
papagayo View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papagayo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2009 at 17:47
Hello devonguy.

Good idea to come here first.

I have a Hanse 301 and it was (and still is) my first boat.

I've been really pleased with my boat, I've found it very easy to sail with just me (limited sailing experience) and my wife (no sailing experience).

We found the accommodation ample although the heads are cramped, especially headroom.

Galley and fridge are nothing to write home about but they work fine and we have no complaints about them.

Aft cabin is a compromise for a couple in our mid 50's so we use the forward cabin but should be great for kids (as long as they don't lift the mattresses and 'get into' the batteries, or open the engine access ports). I must admin that we have had a few people with us at different times and no one has complained about it yet.

I'm no expert so don't know what to look for specifically but check the obvious and get a good surveyor. Check the inventory so that you know what you're getting. Check everything from sail wardrobe to anchor, boat hooks to crockery. We got a load of stuff with ours.

My surveyor did not examine the engine apart from a brief look over and listened to it start up. I've not had any problems though. I think the engines are very reliable but don't take my word for that. Either take the chance or pay for a diesel engineer to give it a survey.

Ours is a 2000 build and so is 9 years old this year and I think it still looks very good and performs really well. No complaints about aging.

This probably won't be much use for you but I would add that being a Hanse owner, I have found this owners forum to be very active, useful and informative. New postings everyday on an immense number of topics, some not even boat related ?? A good bunch of people.

If you buy one of these, I would think that you wouldn't regret it. I haven't.

Pete
Happy sailing. [IMG]smileys/smiley1.gif" align="middle" />
Frandy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2009 at 22:23
Smile thanks for this I am looking for A 301 and would be interested of hearing of good examples for sale
happy sailing
Andy
Epsilon View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epsilon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 12:22

Hi Andy

I have a Hanse 300 commissioned in Spring 2003 and by coincidence have just decided to put it on the market.  Currently on swinging mooring in Poole.

Get back to me if you are interested

Regards

Paul
Krzysztof View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krzysztof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 20:04
Hi Dave,

I wonder if you could share your experience in sailing H301 in strong wind and high wave. I am considering buying a second hand H301 (which is obviously CE class B) and I am quite worried about performance in tough weather.

Many thanks
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 21:32
I have mentioned above what I think of the boat in general, but what I will say is that i bought my 301 from Portsmouth in 2007 and i intended to sail it round the coast to Barmouth the journey in theory should have taken 2 weeks with a little break in the scilly isles, but when we set of we had nothing but poor or very poor weather, and it took 8 weeks, due to the fact that i only had two weeks holiday and after that had to do it at the weekends. We encountered winds up to 38 /40 knots once or twice, and through out the whole journey never felt worried or concerned, and although it was a wee bit lumpy she still managed to sail, and on  the arrival at Barmouth after a 26hr sail we had to stooge around the entrance for a couple of hours in 30 knots, again no problem but these are obviously situations that it is better to be in port and have a few beers but if you are out there then in the normal course of events you will be fine.
This to me is a great boat, a real go anywhere boat as far as i am concerned with my range of sailing which is 200 miles off shore ( max my insurance will allow) but on short hops they will allow further distances.
So it is plenty for me.
Do you actually need a CAT A boat?
Dave

Edited by holby - 28 January 2010 at 21:33
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Krzysztof View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krzysztof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 21:40
Thanks a lot. Do you happen to know what is her stability curve according the producer spec. How do you trim her in 30 knots wind reaching?
Frandy View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2010 at 19:57
many thanks see seperate post re aquiring the 301 Morgelyn  cant wait to get her back into the water
Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply