myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Propeller Choice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Propeller Choice
    Posted: 01 May 2009 at 07:28
Hello All,

I have considered to fit a folding Prop to replace the two-blade fixed prop on my boat.

Two Volvo Penta dealers gave me two different recommendations, below:

2-blade folding propeller 16x11
Or a  3-blade folding propeller 15x10

2-blade folding, dimension 17x11
or a 3-blade folding, dimension 17x12

There is a big difference between a 15x10 and 17x12 3-bladed folding prop. Which of the dealers, if any, can i trust? I have the 2020 19 h.p. engine.
They are pretty expensive so wouldn't want to make a mistake.

Now I really must get down to the boat to start grinding on my cracked rudder!!!

Franko
Abstinenz View Drop Down
myHanse Moderator - Denmark

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abstinenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 08:18
Hi Franko,

The Volvo 2020 is not a powerful engine so I guess you will face some problems with a 17 inch propeller.  As an alternative you could fit a 15,5 inch 20 dgr. pitch 3-blade feathering KIWIPROP and the prize is the same as a 2-blade folding (aprox. SEK 13000). But if you should choose a prop from your VP dealer I would trust him most who recommends the small size. 

/Steen
Hanse 342#436
John@At-o-ma View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John@At-o-ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 08:59
Hi Franco,
I have the same engine in my 301 and use a 16x11 2 blade folding prop supplied by Hanse. The make is a Radice. I was recommended this size by the Irish dealer Philip Watson and it has been perfect in use.

The cost of these props are far less than the other makes on the market and i am in my 8th season with mine and on intention of looking elsewere

Regards
John
John Brierley.
Ex Enhanser GBR7772T.
Hanse301
franko View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 05:36
Thanks both for your input.

Steen, I can get the VP 15x10 2-Blade Folding at SEK 13.400 inc. VAT at the moment, they have a campaign going on. Any comments regarding this against the Kiwi Prop? I am particularly interested in reversing power and (minimising) Prop Walk. My boat pulls quite noticeably to starboard before I get way on astern.

A couple of years ago a boat from my harbour lost his Kiwi Prop in the Falsterbo Canal!

John, how is your Radice when going astern?

Raining here now and still have to get the bottom painted. Cry

Cheers

Franko
Abstinenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abstinenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 07:30
Hi Franko,

Every now and then somebody is loosing there propeller - no matter which brand they have. The failure is 99,99 % on the person who mounted the propeller. Every locking screw needs loctite "normal" on a propeller and a lot of sailors do not apply this.

You will have at least 6 advantages from the KIWI compared to the 2-blade folding (prices are comparable).

1. Better and prompt reverse performance.
2. No "clonck sound" going from ahead to reverse and vice versa 
3. The pitch setting in ahead is ajustable
4. If a blade should be damaged, it will only cost you 100 euros.
5. As the KIWI only weights 3,5 kilos it produces less wear on your SD
6. Korrosion is like zero  

Cheers
/Steen    
Hanse 342#436
John@At-o-ma View Drop Down
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John@At-o-ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 07:39
Hi Franko,

Count to 3 before anything happens in reverse.When you know this its ok.
Newer(and more expensive props) are better but any prop ,when you are used to it ,is good.
Like anything, you pay your money ,and make your choice.
Regards
John
John Brierley.
Ex Enhanser GBR7772T.
Hanse301
franko View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 08:17
Sorry guys, typo error in my last post. Meant to say :

"VP 15x10 3-Blade Folding at SEK 13.400"

So VP versus KIWI - both 3 blades.

Does this change your view Steen?

(Of course you are the Danish agent for Kiwi Props - so I don't really expect an impartial answer Wink).

Edited by franko - 05 May 2009 at 08:27
Abstinenz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abstinenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 09:25
Hi Franko.

Those people I know who has a VP 3-blade folding are satisfied with it's performance.   

I normally tell customers that if they have any doubts about what to choose, they must support the doubts and choose another product. It gives the most satisfieds sailor in the end....

Good luck with your choice which I'm certain will be the rigth for your needs.

/Steen 

P.S.
I'm also the agent of Slipstream and Autostrem from Seahawk, AUS so I'm not religius about the KIWI Wink    
Hanse 342#436
echoofwight View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote echoofwight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 16:06

Hi Franko,

We have a 341 with the VP 2020.  We fitted the VP three bladed prop at the start of 2008.  I am very pleased with the performance.  It gives more boat speed than the fixed two bladed when going forward, but is less powerful than the two blade fixed going astern. This has never been a problem, we keep our boat in a marina and need to do a lot of reversing, and it has been fine.  When you engage reverse there is a slight delay but you very quickly get used to it.  If I needed a new prop I would get the same again.  A good point with the Volvo prop is that it is easy to service and seems to be very good quality.  

We fitted the folding prop to increase speed when sailing and to keep the performance of the fixed prop when motoring.  The propeller has performed better than we hopped for in both respects.

Hope this helps

Steve

franko View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote franko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 19:58
Thanks for taking the time to respond Steve,

It is hard to compare apples with apples and as you have the same boat/engine your input is most welcome.

The delay is no problem, what about prop-walk?

Is your prop the 15x10 or something else?

Cheers

Franko
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>