myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 350
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jabsco In-Line Non-return Valves

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jabsco In-Line Non-return Valves
    Posted: 30 May 2010 at 22:03
Hoi,

Under the sink in the bathroom is a Jabsco inline non return valve installed. Does someone know how it should be installed? Currently the water is running very slowly out of the sink and I guess it is because the valve is installed the wrong way.

Regards,
Peter

Hanse 350
www.snowgoose.be
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 08:32
Our 320 bathroom sink is slow to empty and always has been. It also has bubbles coming up when shower drain pump is in operation, I am guessing that this valve is present in the system because the shower drain uses the same pipe to drain waste water overboard. I would have thought that there was only one way to fit the valve, maybe a clean may help.
Gordon
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 08:35
BTW: I do not have this valve on my boat (370) but it also runs slow.
Blake 370
daviddb View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daviddb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 10:52
Of course one sure way to make it run slow is to try and put soapy water (with bubbles) down either the sink or shower drain. On Selene I have had crew running to tell me "the drain is blocked" when what has actually happened is they have used lots of shower gel or detergent of some kind, and made bubbles. The "fall" to sea level is very small and a foam of bubbles reduces the effective density of the water and hence the outwards pressure .

Same thing used to happen on the galley sink on my previous boat where one regular crew was obsessive about using lots of detergent when washing up and would then start swearing at the boat and poking down the drain with a bit of wire to try and clear the supposed blockage. Didn't matter what I explained to him, and it didn't impress his resolutely non-scientific mind that left a little while the "blockage" went away...
Hanse 350 353 Selene
Snow Goose View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snow Goose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2010 at 11:37
Thanks. It's extremely slow (even without using soap) making the sink useless. The one in the kitchen is fine so I use this one to brush my teeth but I prefer to do this job in the bath room. And indeed, I also have the bubbles coming up when using the shower drain pump. Next weekend I’m going to remove the valve and clean it. Hope it will fix the problem.
Hanse 350
www.snowgoose.be
holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 15:23
When using the sink I find that if the water is running out slowly, and it usually does, and we dont have those inline valves, is to close the sea cocks of wait a second or so and open them again and the water will pour out.  It is also a good chance to make sure that the sea cocks actually open and close and also whilst doing this operstion I give a glance over the pipe work done there as well.
Dave

Edited by holby - 07 June 2010 at 15:24
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Wellhouse View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wellhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 21:50

Yes we have found the same with our sink on our 300 Dave, when I say we it was actually my wife Janet, I am not afraid to admit it, I must point out I do my fair share of the washing up.

John.
Old Racer View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Racer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 16:38
Our 320 is suffering from the same problem. I am sure it was not always the case.

Did this or any other post ever reach a conclusion

Many Thanks
Hanse 320 Olicana Inverkip Scotland
Fendant View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fendant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 17:45
on our 345 the bathroom sink is also emptying very slow, the kitchen sinks are ok.
Will check this weekend if we have the non-return valve.
The shower pump goes directly into the grey water tank, the sink empties into a waste water collector and is pumped also into the grey water tank once a certain water level is reached.
Frank
iemand View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iemand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 22:17
We have the same problem on our 370. I think the problem is lack of ventilation of the sink. The air is blocking the water to poor fast. I will test it with a T-piece!

BR Thomas
Hanse 312 MJ 2004 - Hanse 370e MJ 2007
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>