myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facnor furler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nickfabbri View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickfabbri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facnor furler
    Posted: 26 July 2010 at 13:07
We had a similar problem with our furling system. We simply found that a little silicone spray and more importantly removing some tension from the jib halyard fixes the problem. Our sailmaker told me that the halyard was over tensioned and thus stopping he furled from running smoothly
Nick71
Hanse 320
Windsurfer View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2010 at 01:12
Gordon, I have been thinking of a ratchet block solution for jib furl and for a-spin sheeting ... could you please post a picture of how the block works on your boat...what are your general impressions??? I don't want to drill holes in the side decks and install too many clutches everywhere...
Do you think I can get away with this solution???
Hanse 320 #079
White hull, tiller, short keel and rudder, standard North sails, Sparcraft rig
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2010 at 10:36
Hi Tristan  sailing is now easier with this mod, it may not be the best, neatest, or final solution, but it works. The block is a hexaratchet. (HARKEN). I am still thinking of fitting a jammer to deck and for that reason I looking into whether I can run reefing line down the portside to get access to the under deck. 
Yes, we have the larger than standard jib I think the boat sails upwind better with it, Bought from North sails it has battens on the leech and is flatter cut with a rope behind luff .  If you leave the original jib sheet attached you can reef sail to the right size then use it in the self tacking mode with the option to use the other sheets for trimming for reaching. Just had a fast run back to Plymouth from Solent last Wednesday/Thursday, lucky with the wind direction strength for most of the trip. 
I believe you have the Selden furler how is that for furling wonder how it compares with Facnor. I have just seen another 320 with Selden and noticed the furling line runs down the portside which is handy if you are to fit jammer. 
Hope your enjoying the sailing

Gordon
trist33 View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trist33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 14:25
Hi Gordon!

Hows the sailing going?

Sounds interesting what you have done with the jib, photos would be good.

Is your jib larger than the standard 320 headsail, does this self tack?

Regards tristan
Gordon Harrison View Drop Down
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordon Harrison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2010 at 14:17

I have fitted a block with jammer and ratchet to our pushpit rail. I t is now much easier to reef and furl sail just by grabbing furling line either side of the block pull at 90 degrees on rope between first rope guide and jammer/block then take up slack with other hand we have a ratchet type block . This works well for our boat which has a bigger jib and sometimes needs to be reefed.

Gordon
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 21:20
Thank you as well P-B, I will try this as it sounds very plausible indeed.

Meanwhile, I got this reply from Facnor:

Dear Sir,

According to the specifications of the Hanse 320, the LS 100 is the right furler for this boat.

Indeed the jib is very small on this boat and it is not necessary to go bigger.

First, you need to check if the furling circuit is ok, with no angle, no friction.

Second, check if the drum is turning well without and with the sail.

Third, do the same thing with the swivel.

If you have still problem, please come back to us.

Best regards

Sales Department.  

FACNOR

holby View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote holby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 16:54
Thanks P-B this is also something i did not know, for me it is hard to start of the unfurling of the sail. I will check and see which groove I am using.  I also thought the extra groove was for sail changing or for a second head sail as they seem to do in the ARC.
Dave
Hanse 301, tiller steering, Volvo 2010 (10hp)
Peter-Blake View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter-Blake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 16:05
There is another point i never realized, but now checked it and it is really interesting.

the facnor furler and many otheres have two grooves (correct word?)
I never cared about using the one on the left or on the right.
Until last weekend..

I read in a manual for a selden-furler:

If the furling line exits to starboard tha use the groove on port.
if the furling line exits to port than use the groove on starboard.
Using the correct groove reduces the start resistor when furling the sail, as there will be a smaller Fold along the forestay.

I always thought the 2 grooves are for sailchanges while sailing......

So i tried this. And without a joke (i have the furling line on port and used last weekend the starboard groove, i felt it was a little bit easier to furl at the beginning.

I must admit, that i did not trust this at the first moment, but there seems to be something true.

see here the part from the manual:
http://www.segeln-forum.de/attachments.php?attachmentid=48474&sid=
Sorry it is in german
Blake 370
Henrik84 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 15:27
My 320 #430 was delivered 10 weeks ago and have z-spars and Furlex.

/Henrik

Edited by Henrik84 - 08 June 2010 at 15:27
S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
Old Finn View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 23:58
Hi Machiel,
my 320 #411 was delivered 4 weeks ago with the same facnor furler. It doesn´t work smoothly, especially with less wind. The more wind, the better it is working. For the first times we were using the winches (extra) in the cockpitt. After 2 weeks hard sailing,  the furler works quit well.

best regards,
axel, stuttgart

Edited by Old Finn - 07 June 2010 at 23:59
S/Y Indian Summer H 320#411 - Sail today, work later
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>