myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 320
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Water tank leakage

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water tank leakage
    Posted: 03 July 2010 at 18:41
During our first short holiday with our new 320 (Smartline, #410), we found water in the bilge, which, after a search through the whole boat and dismantling all floor plates, appeared to come from the tap in the "bathroom". The whole watertank (240 litres) emptied itself in the boat, much to our dismay. We will have the Dutch agent (West Yachting) lined up to find a solution; anyone else with this type of problem and/or tips for solutions?

Best regards, Machiel, 320 #410 Van Bree.
Henrik84 View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henrik84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 21:58
Hi.

Have never heard about that before. Hope they can fix it soon.
My watertank was leaking from the hatch, it was not tightend enough.

One question: How did you remove the floor on starboard side in the middle?
I canīt get it up because of the kitchen table.

/Henrik
S/Y LaRey
Hanse 320 #430
Gothenburg, Sweden
Drumduff View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumduff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 09:53
When we first got our boat I checked all the hose connections after finding a heater hose wasn't tight. I found that most clips needed to be tightened up.   
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 22:12
Hi Henrik,

Thanks, I will post once its repaired.
You're right, the only floorplate we could not get lifted was the starboard one Although I presume that this can be done by demounting the kitchen table and the navigator's table seat. Instead, we used a carter pump fitted through the inspection openings to drain all water out of the compartments that could not be reached directly. Is labour intensive, but works very well.

Thanks, Drumduff, I will make sure I get our mechanic check all hose connections. My previous boat (Dutch built 1973) was leaking above and below the waterline, and I have been able to fix all leaks, so I have become quite allergic to any water in the bilge at all now.

Best regards, Machiel.
AdrianB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2010 at 05:31
We also had a leak from the tap in the bathroom. Depended where you put the mixer tap nozzle, but it got worse and worse. Our excellent dealer here had to rip the cupboard shelf out to fix a new tap in place. So now we have a removable shelf which should make getting to the plumbing easier in future.

On the subject of leaks, we still had water in the bilge after fixing the bathroom tap. Just an occasional priming of the cold water pump told us that water was escaping somewhere. But all the plumbing was dry.
After a couple of months we finally found that the transom shower was dripping slightly if the shower was left turned on (yes the knob is pretty hard to use!)  and that dripped down inside the boat, into the transom, and from there found its way into the locker under the starboard saloon seat.  A soft rubber washer in the shower head fixed that problem.

After 6 months we now have a nice dry boat - and I hope it stays that way!

Edited by AdrianB - 10 July 2010 at 05:32
Liquid Leisure - Hanse 320#266 http://www.liquid-leisure.com.au
Yemanja View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yemanja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 13:23

Our hatch in the watertank was also leaking. We first tightend it and after we taped it with ducktape. then it was dry for a few months. When we found water under the floor again, we found out it now was the shower on the transom. It was cracked. We replaced it but it was stil leaking and we now closed it all together. The last week no more water under the floor.

Edited by Yemanja - 18 July 2010 at 14:35
Hanse 320 #151
MisterM View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MisterM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 10:52
Thanks for the feedback AdrianB. I spend the whole (hot) weekend on fixing the problem, and found out that it was similar to your experience. The tap was leaking, and it appears to be a very cheap tap, with connections from the main hose that "click" in, so they can get loose at any moment and thus cause a flooding of the full water tank. I recommend every 320-owner with this type of tap to replace it.

However, the replacing process is frustrating. Indeed I also had to saw out the cupboard shelf to get to the connections, and even then it requires athletic skills combined with patience to get the job done. But, the result is peace of mind.

Adrian: do you have a picture of the removable shelf that you now have? And can you explain how the shower head in the transom was fixed with the soft rubber washer?

Best regards, Machiel.
AdrianB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 11:26
I'll take some pictures when I am sailing in the next couple of weeks (it is winter here!)
  Adrian

Edited by AdrianB - 12 July 2010 at 11:27
brammm View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brammm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 20:24
Hello,

We have had the same problem with our hanse and we solved by repairing the tapwater valve.

Dismount the knob. (the screw is under the red/blue plastic insert)
Turn the copper ring tighter
remount the knob
finished.

The tapwater valve obviously is not of the best quality, but afte this fix the thing is watertight ever since.

regards,

Bram
Hanse 320 #277
AdrianB View Drop Down
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AdrianB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2010 at 13:27
Originally posted by AdrianB AdrianB wrote:

I'll take some pictures when I am sailing in the next couple of weeks (it is winter here!)
  Adrian

After cutting out the shelf to get access to the base of the tap to replace it, our dealer attached a baton to the right hand side of the cupboard and then screwed the shelf on just that side.  Although it is only supported on one side now it is quite rigid. And can be removed if we need to get to the plumbing again.

The drip from the stern shower was fixed by replacing the firm washer supplied with a cut down softer nylon one as shown below....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>