myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Excellent service by Lewmar - new wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Excellent service by Lewmar - new wheel
    Posted: 22 August 2010 at 20:22
Hi everyone

Thought I would give an update on my previous posting concerning my broken Lewmar steering wheel.

I was so fortunate to meet another Hanse sailor this summer with the very same problem. Our wheels were broken at the hub. However he had his replaced free of charge and he urged me to contact Lewmar directly. So I did.

It turned out that the information I had also recieved from some of you at this forum was indeed confirmed. It was a known fault relating to a certain batch of wheels. Although my wheel was more than 3 years old they told they would replace it. Just a week after, I received my new wheel.Big%20smile

Excellent - and I think it serves to strenghten their image and credibility. Way to go Lewmar.Thumbs%20Up

Today I finally got the time to change the wheel. Here are some pictures:

Ready to change. New wheel to the right.

First you remove the nut with a wrench key.

To get the wheel of the hub you need this instrument - a puller.

Puller mounted

New whell onBig%20smile

Ole Kirkelund
Amani
Ishøj, Denmark
Tricky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2010 at 21:26
Its great to see they still honor that one, i got mine replaced for the same reason.
Great step by step, only thing is the actual nut holding the wheel, on my boat the nut can be removed by using the winch handle. Has this been changed on later models?

Brg Tricky
Believe Nothing
Trust No One
Do It Your Self
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2010 at 20:11
Hi Tricky

It's quite a smart thing to be able to remove the nut with a winch handle (I had to buy a puller especially for this occasion). You always have a winch handle within reach, which is handy I think. I am not sure whether this has been changed on later models. Maybe I could actually replace mine with one suited for a winch handle?

Ole.
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:20
Hi Tricky

By the way - came to think of it. Don't you still need a puller to get the wheel off, even if you can remove the nut with a winch handle?

(Anyway, I still think it's a good thing that you can use a winch handle).

Ole.
Tricky View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 14:02
Hi Ole,

Never had to use a puller at all, the cone on the shaft had a light coating of some kind of grease/lubrication, just loosened the nut and hit the outside of the wheel with my hand and off it goes.

Brg
Tricky
Believe Nothing
Trust No One
Do It Your Self
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 16:05
Hmm - interesting.

In fact, I had expected that I could remove the wheel without using a puller, but the thing just would not come off. I was advised to use a puller by my in-law (he is a real handy manWink). He advised me NOT to use any kind of lubricant or grease.

Well, it would be nice to be able just to pull it off - so maybe I should give it a spray or some grease....... hhm nah I'd better do as I am toldLOL

Ole.
 Post Reply Post Reply