myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken bathing platform - again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broken bathing platform - again!
    Posted: 08 October 2010 at 18:53
For a while I thought I had my bathing platform problem solved. I had been fighting hard to make my dealer rectify the problem with the platform, that showed large cracks already three months after commission. It took sixteen months before the first replacement was mounted on my boat, and it was not until twoyears after a solution with a platform that wouldn't break and would fit the boat (after the boat had been adjusted to fit the platform) was presented. Or so I thought. A month ago I became aware that also this platform has cracks on both sides.

Luckily for me we have a consumer's law in Sweden that allows me to report this issue yet another time.

So whatever I have previously written or said about a final design of the 342 bathing platform that will hold - I was wrong.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 09 November 2010 at 10:09
Windsurfer View Drop Down
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 10:55
Sorry to hear that Johan...now I feel like it was a wise decision not order the platform for my boat from Hanse...
I guess I will end up constructing a custom one out of a stainless steel...
Hanse 320 #079
White hull, tiller, short keel and rudder, standard North sails, Sparcraft rig
Gregor View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2010 at 15:45
Sorry to see it is broken again. Hope that you can work it out with your dealer (do they stell have knees ;) )

Take care,
Gregor
Uisge Beatha

Currently sailing Dehler 36 JV (2002)
Previous boat: Hanse 311 #80

http://www.uisge-beatha.eu
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 17:37
Oh what a mess - again, JohanCry

My platform looked very similar to yours when we had the chance to compare them this summer.Smile But, on the other hand, I haven't used mine very much - yet.

I think I will make a thorough inspection soon. At a glance, I have only discovered some minor and apparently superficial scratches on my platform, which is incidently newer than the boat. My 342 (2006) was originally not fitted with the platfom, but I had a new one mounted in the UK last year.

In my opinion there seems to be something fundamentally wrong with the construction of the platform. That's a shame since it is really a smart design. Maybe it would be a good idea to reconsider the materials used or the way the platform is attached to hull. Judging from the damages on Emilia's platform it seems there there is too much tension transmitted onto the platform itself. Maybe a more flexible material (e.g. wood?) would do the trick - or another kind of brackets that will prevent too much tension to be transmitted to the platform?Confused

Ole Kirkelund
"Amani"
Ishøj, Denmark
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2010 at 21:17
Ole, I am sorry to have to reconsider my "approval" of your bathing platform. I suggest you use it some more and pay attention to any cracks.

I think the design is brilliant and if it hadn't been for the bad construction I would be very proud every time I fold down the platform. The bathing platform was actually one of the major reasons for choosing a Hanse but has become one of the major disappointments.

Johan
Stella*Nova View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stella*Nova Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 10:08
Oh no, Johan, what a ...

Mine was changed in spring. I hope it will not show the same cracks than yours in a few months. Do you have a reaction from Hanse?

Edited by Stella*Nova - 11 October 2010 at 10:09
BR Ralf, Ex. 'a mare' H370
alettaenmarcel View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alettaenmarcel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 12:53
Johan that is not very fine for you.
I have seen on my 370 platform there al also some cracks in it .
But my friends say to me I have to go to the weight watchers...Confused
Is that maybe somting for you as well?????Shocked
Succes solving your problem
Greetings Marcel

Kids Dingys 72-79 ,Several Windsurfboards 79-86 OK dingy competitions 86-92 , Trotter Pandora Race 92-98, Friendship 28 Sport 98-05, Hanse 370 06-......
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 14:06
Nah, look how slim I am. No weight watchers for me. In addition, I have also been overly cautious with the platform. But still it cracks.

Ralf, what was the reason the bathing platform was replaced? Did it also break? I find it worrying that this decease affects other models too.

I have not contacted Hanse in Germany. I had enough of contact with them in previous years to make them understand the gravity of the problem. I have reported the cracks to my dealer and the reaction has been the expected. I will therefore have to make it a legal case.

Johan

kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 19:21
Yeah - you look great, Johan, thanks to ChristelLOL

Concerning the platform it really would be nice to hear the experiences of Ralf / Stella Nova and others as well. Maybe we / someone could give Hanse some advice.

"User driven innovation" is a hot topic among innovation experts - or so I have heardWink

As I said, I like the design. It is very simple and functional so it is shame the material won't hold. Are there any members of this forum who know what the core material of the platform is made of? It seems quite heavy.

Ole,

Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2010 at 19:45
I agree that it is very heavy. I have been told that later versions (such as mine) have been reinforced with an aluminium frame but that should not really make it so heavy. I will try to look through the cracks to try to establish what the core material is.

I would be good to collect other people's experiences in this thread.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 11 October 2010 at 21:08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>