myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken bathing platform - again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Captain
Captain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raptor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 19:40
Johan,
I too have some issues with my bathingplstform. When I took it up with my local dealer he told me that Hanse doesn't deliver the bathingplstform anymore. In addition, he also told me that you will loose your CE "certificate" (or classification) if you install the bathingplatform. Apparently, the bathingplatform prevent sufficient water to leave the cockpit in an emergency. Have never been told this before. I installed it due to having small kids onboard and additional "safety". My boat is a Hanse 320.
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2011 at 20:46
Hi Raptor

Giving up on delivering bathing platforms may be a wise decision by Hanse given the fact that they can't fix the problems with them.

That your boat would loose it's CE certificate is, however, highly questionable. Frankly speaking, I don't believe that for one second. I do not want to suggest that your local dealer is an outright liar, but if they think this explanation will get them off the hook, they are VERY wrongAngry

On the contrary, if you were not informed about this before you ordered your platfom they would probably be obliged to remove it and pay your money back. So in my opinion, your dealer (and Hanse) are just digging the hole, in which they are already standing, even deeperWink

Ole,
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2011 at 19:35
Originally posted by Raptor Raptor wrote:

In addition, he also told me that you will loose your CE "certificate" (or classification) if you install the bathingplatform.

When the 342 was introduced you could choose between the closed transom found on the preceding 341 or the folding transom that I choose. Both the 342 and the 341 are CE Ocean A certified with cockpit drains. Only when my boat had been delivered Hanse started to make 342s where the transom would be open and a bathing platform optional to an additional cost.

I think the least you should expect from a CE Ocean A certified boat is that no part of it will break if you stand on it. This includes the bathing platform.

I suspect the statement from your dealer is just "salesman talk". I have heard it too many times myself to believe in anything they say.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 16 May 2011 at 09:44
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 19:54
My dealer has now picked up the bathing platform and has told me the intention is to rectify the design fault so that I will not have any future problems. I think that would be for the better for all parties involved. Being a wise man, I am not setting my hopes very high before I have seen the result though.

I have also been told that the yard is somehow involved but I have not had that confirmed nor do I think it is very probable.

Johan
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 10:00
My bathing platform has eventually been repaired and modified and is now mounted on my boat. I hope it will never break again and that this is the last chapter in this sad saga.

The plastic around the cracks was removed and it was established that the laminate was quite thin (which can be seen if you look carefully at the second picture) and that the core material consisted of "foam". I was told by the company that did the repair that they were "not surprised that the platform had broken, they were surprised that it had not happened earlier".

The foam was removed 7-8 centimetres in from the edges and replaced with solid glass fibre laminate. This gives a very strong L-shaped reinforcement on both sides. I was told that "if it ever breaks again, it will not break there". The repair itself is invisible and professionally done.

At one point it looked like the platform would be sent to the Hanse yard and that they would use it as a template to build a new one like the ones built for "newer models". I asked around and found that owners with "newer models" also have problems so it was decided it was better to have the job done in Sweden. I also asked Hanse Yachts to specify how today's methods would ensure a bathing platform that will not break but got no reply.

I had earlier been told that later models of the bathing platform have been reinforced with an aluminium frame. No such frame was detected during the operation so I am beginning to doubt it.

If this is the final solution to my bathing platform problem, this is how my bathing platform should have been built already in 2005 when I bought my boat. It is also the way all bathing platforms on all Hanses should be built. It is just a shame they aren't.

Johan

Edited by Johan Hackman - 13 June 2011 at 10:49
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 05:58
Hi Johan

Such an L-shaped reinforcement seems to be a good idea - very sensible. It will probably work well. Good luck with itThumbs%20Up

Do you have a picture of the final result?

After having repaired my anchor locker drain (sucessfully I hope) I might just consider doing this operation myselfWink

Ole,
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 09:26
Ole, here's a picture of the final result. You can hardly detect the repair.

Another thing I will do is to shorten the stainless support to make the bathing platform level and possibly put some protection on the transom. The platform is quite heavy and has left marks on the transom.

Johan

MarcoC View Drop Down
Admiral
Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarcoC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 10:03
Glad to hear that you finally got it solved and hopefully it is the last time it will breake! Who did the job? Clearly someone that knows how to do a good job. Have you already stepped on the platform?
"Älva"

Hanse 370#671

Stockholm, Sweden

www.wesailhanse.se big wheel, deep draught iron keel, 3 cabins,Yanmar 3JH4E, Sparcraft rig.
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 11:12
The job was done by a guy who works with plastic repairs at Brohäll Marin. He did an excellent job in repairing my anchor locker a few years ago.

No, have not stepped on it yet. I don't think I will dare to do it.

Johan
skipper View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2011 at 12:41

Johan

Our 342 from 2005 should have the same white colour code as Emilia has and  I have a subscription on PBO (with other words I will do the repairs myself) so I wonder if you know the colour code of the topcoat?

Is it Signal White · RAL 9003 Standard  ?
Cheers,
Skipper
Former owner of Hanse 342 2005 (Sparcraft mast, white hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, short rudder)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>