myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website myHanse.com - Hanse Yacht Owners Website

Welcome to myHanse.com the forum for Hanse Yachts owners throughout the world.

Forum Home Forum Home > Hints & Tips > 341 / 342
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Broken bathing platform - again!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 19:34
Hi Johan

Yep - that must be the best (only) solution even if the nuts stick out a bit.

No surprise, I have exactly the same cracks on the exact same spot on my platform. So maybe it's time for me to do the same operations as the ones you didErmm

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Lynetten, Copenhagen, Denmark
Hanse 342 (grey hull, wheel steering, deep draft keel, Jefa rudder - RUD34)
Johan Hackman View Drop Down
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2017 at 20:56
In fact, as I moor stern-to during the winter, the nuts might be a good place to put your foot when you enter the boat. I can hardly wait for the winter to find out if I am right.

Johan

PS. Just joking. I am not looking forward to next winter.
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2017 at 19:34
LOL Well, you are famous for breaking ice ...... also when sailingWink

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2017 at 07:50
Originally posted by kirkelund kirkelund wrote:

No surprise, I have exactly the same cracks on the exact same spot on my platform.

It's interesting to hear that you have experienced cracks in the same are. Are there other 342 owners reading this thread that have experienced the same thing?

And what about the cracks on the sides of the plaform around the 90 degree angles? Do you have any cracks in those areas, Ole?

Johan
Luna342 View Drop Down
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luna342 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 16:46
I just purchased a 2006 342 and this thread was very helpful. I still have to decide how to correct the issue.  
The cracks for me are on the lower 90 degree (when lowered) on both sides. The upper 90 and hinges are fine. Mine is a little different that Johans . I do not have the cockpit drain holes or the additional 45 degree supports which I would like to add. 
-Steve

kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2017 at 18:59
@Johan
@Steve, Luna342 (welcome to the forumThumbs Up)

Johan, the cracks om my platform are still very small, so I am just keeping an eye on them.

They are not nearly as visible as the ones on yours, Steve. They are mostly centered around the hinges.

Interesting that you don't have any drain holes. Mine has two of these very similar to Johans. BTW, my platform was mounted by the retailer in Plymouth where I purchased my boat in 2009 when it was three years old.

Ole,
Kirkelund

"Amani"
Borjebus View Drop Down
Commander
Commander

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borjebus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2017 at 20:22
My strongest recommendation is to remove the original platform and replace with something like I did on my 370, inspired by Marco.
It saves your back and makes it easy to handle things on the aft. It is also a lot easier to get out of the water if something unfortunate happens.
To hide holes from hinges and the old ladder I added three pieces of teak - looks very nice.

BÄSK, Hanse 370e #82 from 2006, Yanmar 3JH4E/SD50, 3-blade Flexofold, RMC(Lewmar) 185 Bowthruster, Vulcan 9, Simrad+B&G instruments
Sea-U View Drop Down
Commadore
Commadore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sea-U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2017 at 10:01
I like the original platform. Good place to relax. And it also hides the gas-lockers from sun.
On my 370E from 2008 they have added a reinforcement on both sides in the moulds.

If I had the old ones I think I would have made something in stainless and bolted with totally 4 bolts and 4 nuts.
Sea-U is a 370e #532 located SW Norway
kirkelund View Drop Down
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkelund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2017 at 19:17
Hi Borjebus

The platfom looks great.

It's a more traditional (and proven) construction, so it will probably lastThumbs Up

Actually it also provides a little more space in the cockpit, which is nice while in the harbour (I often lower mine when in harbour). However, I like the closed transom when sailing.... and so does my dog, "Dante". It is his favourite hiding place when sailing and I don't want to "cancel" his little "cave". See below (pictures are from his first season at sea). Big smile

Ole,

Kirkelund

"Amani"
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johan Hackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2017 at 21:05
Ole, what great pictures of Dante! If you browse back to the previous page in this thread you will find a similar picture of my late dog Stampe. His favourite place when sailing was under the bathing platform.

For me, the bathing platform was a great selling point when I choose the Hanse 342 in 2005. Now, twelve years later, I still love it. It is good to have a closed transom while sailing and the platform gives such great access to the water. My daughter frequently has friends aboard and they swim from the platform like mad.

Johan

PS. Here is a picture from a few weeks ago when we made the shortest weekend trip ever - just 1,4 M in two days. We circumnavigated the island just opposite the marina. Isabel and a friend are waiting for me to row them ashore.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>